learning how to code - worth it?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Pinayhunter
Freshman Poster

learning how to code - worth it?

Post by Pinayhunter »

I can't do the 9-5 office cuck thing much longer. I'm thinking freelance coding might be the answer. Is it actually possible to make money at this? If so, how long would it take to learn if starting from scratch? What languages should I focus on? Are classes necessary, or could I just self teach?

I'm surprised there aren't more threads on escaping wagecel hell.
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Re: learning how to code - worth it?

Post by Nomad »

I use to work for a 8-5 office job for 7 years. Every year was worse than the last. Eventually 2 things tipped the scale that made it absolutely miserable for me. The first thing they did was implement a phone system so they tracked every minute of every second of your day. This made people more anxious than neccessary. Where as before you could come and go and not worry about 5 minutes being late, now your scrambling to your desks just so you won't be "called into question" by the manager. The second thing they did was hire a female manager. It wouldn't be so bad if she could manage, but she was "by the book" type of bitch that EVERYONE, (let me say that again) EVERY ONE hated. If some people liked her, then maybe I could say it was just me, but NO ONE liked this manager. She was a real up-tight stick who just made me flat out quit. I literally took my vacation, and never came back.

What saved me? Self-teaching myself how to code. I learned how from just genuine curiosity. I always wanted to learn to code but I barely made enough at my job to afford college. I was really depressed during those days because I knew I had so much potential but no one to teach me. So I went down to Barnes & Nobles, spent about 200$ on the coding languages I wanted to learn: HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT and started creating my own video game, for fun.

And that's how I learned how to code. To my luck, a guy found me after showing off some parts of my game and hired me. At my old job I made a measly 14$ a hour after 7 years!! (started at 11?). Now I instantly jumped up my pay from 14 a hour to 30 a hour! And that’s the low end when it comes to coding.

So i'm very happy and content, coding from home (in this case Finland), and I have never looked back. I have wasted 7 years in Corporate America, but I will not let the lesson go unlearned. We were meant to teach ourselves, if no one else will, the skills we desire in life. Do not wait around for College or for your Company to care. They don't. So do yourself a favor, go down to your barnes and nobles store, pick a good weekend where no one will bother you, and start learning!
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Pinayhunter wrote:I can't do the 9-5 office cuck thing much longer. I'm thinking freelance coding might be the answer. Is it actually possible to make money at this? If so, how long would it take to learn if starting from scratch? What languages should I focus on? Are classes necessary, or could I just self teach?

I'm surprised there aren't more threads on escaping wagecel hell.
Great post by Nomad.

I taught myself to code as well. It depends on your personality, troubleshooting skills and tons of patience are a must. 50% of the time you are fighting the tools and other people's code, instead of writing your application part lol. You'll always find that somewhere, someone, dropped the ball and you have to come up with some weird kludge.

It is rewarding though in that you write some lines and then see a machine do something. If you get a kick out of that, then you'll be happy.

Nowadays you need to know a bit of everything, like micro-controllers, Windows development and/or Android. Some basic electronics knowledge a must of course.
I would suggest the c language to get started. Perhaps with some cheap microcontroller board, you know, turning a light on and off.
And perhaps simultaneously trying .NET or C++ for Windows.

The good thing is that coding takes zero capital, most tools are free and most electronic parts are dirt cheap.
Also all the knowledge is on the internet, don't even need to go out.

Expect to spend a few weeks or months before you have some real progress, but also realize this is a never ending process. You're never "done" learning to code.
Probably six months to have something you can show off. Again, you have to enjoy it to endure.
Nomad wrote:To my luck, a guy found me after showing off some parts of my game and hired me.
You mean "To his luck", lol
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Definitely worthwhile. Will help immensely if you're doing any e-commerce related business as well.
Chinaebuys - http://www.chinaebuys.com
Buy and Ship any Product Internationally from China
Shipping to more than 200 countries worldwide
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Been coding for 20 years now. It's an OK career but can be stressful as your whole day is basically "how the hell do I do this?". Also immigration has held down wages so I'm pretty much earning the same as I was 20 years ago lol.

It does get quicker to learn new technologies though. At first it was tough but this year I learnt enough Angular.JS in 2 days to use it on a project.

It can be hard to find freelance gigs though. I did some when I lived in Thailand, and I gave it up when my slavemaster boss expected me to bill for 5 minutes of work if she thought it would take 5 minutes.

A better solution is to find a company with offices in many countries (like my current employer), work for yourself or find a company that are happy to employ you on a long term basis and are happy with you working anywhere.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Couple of things about programming. It's not for everyone. There is the syntax and there is the logical problem solving aspect to it. Right now I'm trying to teach myelf Javascript and eventually follow up with another language.

C programming is pretty hard but if you can do C it's not far off to do C++ or Java. The syntax is pretty straight forward.but it's the problem solving that gets you. I currently work in real estate and thinking about doing a career changes in coding. So far from what I read about it there is not allot of money in it unless your a senior programmer. For junior programmer you might have to start out in a office setting but if you can't get that do a project (you might have to work for free ) just to build up experience.

In the computer world allot of it is base upon experience. A senior level Java programmer wouldn't have a hard time find work anywhere but if your starting out..it's different matter.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

droid wrote: :roll: And yet another thread where someone asks a crowd for advice, only to ignore it. No follow up, no thanks, nothing
Look people, there is just no excuse not to get started with coding, this is the minimal expression, literally the size of your fingernail:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pc-New- ... 95ba413cda
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

chanta76 wrote:Couple of things about programming. It's not for everyone. There is the syntax and there is the logical problem solving aspect to it. Right now I'm trying to teach myelf Javascript and eventually follow up with another language.
I am learning Javascript too at the moment. I already know HTML and CSS (yes, I know they are not real programming languages :lol: ). I have been studying for about 3 months now and I think I am doing ok. We'll see how it goes...
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

Do you have any screenshots of work you done so far?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Its all a scam....Coding is to make others rich...sure, they would give you drips of freedom while freelancing but after a while it won't be enough.

Instead of learning to code...Find a Mentor..Who can guarantee success...I wasted so much time in learning all these technologies and never made enough ...even lived in Philippines and worked from there..BUT it was never enough...

I'm 40 and I only realized this now...What a waste of life...sorry If i have misguided people before I was Ignorant too

Instead of learning to Code...Find a Mentor who can guide you...Find a Guru who can show you the way to guaranteed success....

Over the years I have acquired so many skills and made others rich while I got dripped with happiness and money now and then...but it was never enough to make me fully happy and complete.

ohhh my god...I wasted so much of life....Please do not do the same mistake as me....
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

starchild5 wrote:Its all a scam..

ohhh my god...I wasted so much of life....Please do not do the same mistake as me....
You still have your whole life ahead of you, eat non GMO and smoke lots of Tulsi leaf! :wink:

Hey StarChild , I want the honest opinion of an extraterrestrial genious. Who is better Prince or Cat Stevens ?
Time to Hide!
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

I dont think Steve Jobs knew much about coding

Id rather be the creative genius behind something revolutionary, and outsource the work

I think thats where the big gains are to be made, so many marginal ideas crowding out the market, e.g. an app that books you into a salon in NY, when there are already similar apps

What is out there that is really making a difference and unique? There is a ton of mediocrity and i thought the internet was about bringing about freedom and a better world?
Nomad
Freshman Poster

Post by Nomad »

livefreeordie wrote:I dont think Steve Jobs knew much about coding

Id rather be the creative genius behind something revolutionary, and outsource the work

I think thats where the big gains are to be made, so many marginal ideas crowding out the market, e.g. an app that books you into a salon in NY, when there are already similar apps

What is out there that is really making a difference and unique? There is a ton of mediocrity and i thought the internet was about bringing about freedom and a better world?
I disagree with you on this. Yes, there is a whole lot of mediocrity, but I don't believe that is a disadvantage (crowding out the market). If your stuff is simply superior to others, people will choose your product, every time. Your more easier to stand out.

Its almost like saying people no longer eat delicious well-done steaks because there is too many McDonalds on the street.
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

http://www.kahnacademy.com
The above website is an outstanding resource in learning coding, starting with javascript, and i found it quite enjoyable

Im not suggesting everyone outsource, its just what would work better for me, i am more towards the creative side than mathematical/technical side that works well with programming, i.e. i get really stuck with technical I.T side of things, and i am not at all making those analogies. I think its a great idea to learn how to code but im working with a team of coders to focus on what im good at~strategy/innovation/marketing. I find a lot of programmers can tend to be quite intellectually arrogant and refuse to see the importance of the strategy/marketing/innovation side of things, and fall in love with their own ideas, even though they are mediocre at best. This happens more often than you think.

What im attempting to point out is that there are a whole lot of trivial products out there, and what seems to be a handful of really useful apps ( at least that i use ) like google maps, linux or tutamail etc. No shortage of programmers, but there seems to be a shortage of visionary thinkers like a steve jobs/wozniak/gates/etc

Its not so simple nowadays to have a better product, as seth godin states you need to have a purple cow, and even if your cow has the most divine milk unless people know about it you have half of the coin, same as having the best steak in town, yes word of mouth works but McDonalds has a superior system and that's why they are so massive, and never before has the market been so crowded and its going to dramatically become more so as developing country workforces like india and philippines come online and the traditional job/career structure gets shaken up
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

It's been worth it for me. I became a programmer after teaching English in Asia for 10 years. I think it would be damn hard to make it as a freelancer if you're just starting out. You'd probably have to work 9-5 for an employer for at least the first few years. But due to COVID-19 there's good chance you'd be working from home.