Can you relate to this dilemma?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Can you relate to this dilemma?

Post by Johnny1975 »

I was born in Spain, but I moved to the UK when I was 2. I speak spanish fluently (although there are gaps in my vocabulary because I'm not around spanish speaking people), and of course I speak english. I feel like I've been split in two. My heart is in one place, but my mind is in the place where I live. I think in english, and that creates a problem.

If I move to a spanish speaking country, I'll be able to communicate (and it will only be a matter of time before those vocabulary gaps are filled), but I'll be doing it in a language that is not the language that I think in (english). This is weird and I don't think I could handle it. I would want an outlet for english.

But if I move to an english speaking country, well that would be out of the question because I don't want to live in any western country.

Then there's the Philippines. They speak english (more or less), and there's a connection with Spain which would create a certain amount of familiarity, although obviously they don't speak spanish. And I am willing to learn tagalog, and I have started doing that. But the culture is so weird and so different to anything that I'm used to. I've watched loads of videos, read lots of books, but nothing would prepare me for the huge amount of culture shock if I went there.

I could of course live in two places. A spanish speaking country, and the Philippines. But there's about a million miles between the Philippines and Latin America or Spain. It would be like splitting my life between two different planets.

What I like about southeast Asia is the fact that there's so much action, meaning ordinary life on the street. I like the feeling of living in a place where there are real people everywhere, doing real things, living their lives out in the open. But on the other hand it can get really hectic, and I do like a certain amount of peace too. But in Latin America and Spain, it's way too sleepy for me, and I might get bored. But the weather is good, whereas the weather in SE Asia is too humid. There are so many things that make it very hard to decide.

As for anywhere else, I don't think i'm interested. I've considered eastern europe but it's too dreary, and there's little english and no spanish spoken.

What do I do?
chibolo
Junior Poster

Re: Can you relate to this dilemma?

Post by chibolo »

Johnny1975 wrote:I was born in Spain, but I moved to the UK when I was 2. I speak spanish fluently (although there are gaps in my vocabulary because I'm not around spanish speaking people), and of course I speak english. I feel like I've been split in two. My heart is in one place, but my mind is in the place where I live. I think in english, and that creates a problem.

If I move to a spanish speaking country, I'll be able to communicate (and it will only be a matter of time before those vocabulary gaps are filled), but I'll be doing it in a language that is not the language that I think in (english). This is weird and I don't think I could handle it. I would want an outlet for english.
If you want to speak English occasionally you could move to a Latin country that has a lot of English speaking expats like Mexico or Costa Rica. Watching tv in English in Latin America isn't a problem either.

What I like about southeast Asia is the fact that there's so much action, meaning ordinary life on the street. I like the feeling of living in a place where there are real people everywhere, doing real things, living their lives out in the open. But on the other hand it can get really hectic, and I do like a certain amount of peace too.
This applies to most of Latin America as well.
But in Latin America and Spain, it's way too sleepy for me, and I might get bored. But the weather is good, whereas the weather in SE Asia is too humid. There are so many things that make it very hard to decide.
Latin America sleepy? :shock: Sure if you go to some small village it may be sleepy but there is plenty to see and do in the larger cities.

Also, you can find all kinds of weather in LA: tropical, mild spring-like weather, very cold, deserts, etc. Latin America is HUGE and very diverse.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

chibolo wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:I was born in Spain, but I moved to the UK when I was 2. I speak spanish fluently (although there are gaps in my vocabulary because I'm not around spanish speaking people), and of course I speak english. I feel like I've been split in two. My heart is in one place, but my mind is in the place where I live. I think in english, and that creates a problem.

If you want to speak English occasionally you could move to a Latin country that has a lot of English speaking expats like Mexico or Costa Rica. Watching tv in English in Latin America isn't a problem either.

What I like about southeast Asia is the fact that there's so much action, meaning ordinary life on the street. I like the feeling of living in a place where there are real people everywhere, doing real things, living their lives out in the open. But on the other hand it can get really hectic, and I do like a certain amount of peace too.
This applies to most of Latin America as well.
But in Latin America and Spain, it's way too sleepy for me, and I might get bored. But the weather is good, whereas the weather in SE Asia is too humid. There are so many things that make it very hard to decide.
Latin America sleepy? :shock: Sure if you go to some small village it may be sleepy but there is plenty to see and do in the larger cities.

Also, you can find all kinds of weather in LA: tropical, mild spring-like weather, very cold, deserts, etc. Latin America is HUGE and very diverse.
You mean it can get hectic / action filled in Latin America? I've never seen it. Could you give an example? Also is there a city in Latin America where I could speak to most people in english if I wanted to?
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Talk about deja vu. I would swear I have read this opening post a long time ago.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Johnny1975 wrote: You mean it can get hectic / action filled in Latin America? I've never seen it. Could you give an example? Also is there a city in Latin America where I could speak to most people in english if I wanted to?
Well, I am not entirely sure what you mean by hectic and action-filled. Traffic in most Latin American cities is VERY hectic that is for sure :D

Here is an example from Lima, Peru:

:D

Most cities have plenty of things to see and do: movie theaters, restaurants, etc. If you like nightlife and dancing LA is of course the perfect place to go. I don't think you would get bored.

Like i said, if you want to speak English you probably have to go to a city with lots of expats. Here is a list with the most popular expat destinations in Latin America:
http://vivatropical.com/nicaragua/where ... l-america/

In many tourist areas you could probably also speak English to many of the locals.
Last edited by chibolo on October 11th, 2015, 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

chibolo wrote:Well, I am not entirely sure what you mean by hectic and action-filled. Traffic in most Latin American cities is VERY hectic that is for sure :D
Yeah, try moving your car uphill on a 30 degree slope in Manizales, while swarms of people and motorcycles move around you lol, that really tests your driving skills!
Johnny1975 wrote:Also is there a city in Latin America where I could speak to most people in english if I wanted to?
Why?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

chibolo wrote:Well, I am not entirely sure what you mean by hectic and action-filled.
I'm not talking about entertainment, clubs, museums, any of that. I'm talking about street life. Like this :

Ordinary life going on in the streets. Quirky things here and there. People engaged in the present moment, whether they're working, standing around, talking, walking, whatever. People who are alive and open to what's around them. Real life, things going on, ordinary things. But sometimes it can be a bit too much. However I like seeing real life. Spanish cities are nice to look at, but there's not many people around, and when there are, they're usually just shopping or whatever. SE Asian cities are superficially ugly, but the life that's in them is interesting. It makes you feel connected, and it makes you want to engage with others. I want to walk out of my door and know that if I really wanted to, I could meet new people very easily just by being around without necessarily having to do anything special like going to a particular place or event. I want life.

This is where I was born :

I love the place. it's so beautiful, and the perfect weather makes you want to jump up and do something. But where is everybody? Asleep, that's where. See what I mean? Everything for me is a dilemma. I want a bit of street action, but I want a bit of beauty too. It seems that I can't have both to any reasonable degree.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

droid wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:Also is there a city in Latin America where I could speak to most people in english if I wanted to?
Why?
Because although spanish is my first language, I've been living in the UK for so long that I think in english. I need to be able to speak english with others. not everybody, but enough people.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Johnny1975 wrote:

Ordinary life going on in the streets. Quirky things here and there. People engaged in the present moment, whether they're working, standing around, talking, walking, whatever. People who are alive and open to what's around them. Real life, things going on, ordinary things. But sometimes it can be a bit too much. However I like seeing real life. Spanish cities are nice to look at, but there's not many people around, and when there are, they're usually just shopping or whatever. SE Asian cities are superficially ugly, but the life that's in them is interesting. It makes you feel connected, and it makes you want to engage with others. I want to walk out of my door and know that if I really wanted to, I could meet new people very easily just by being around without necessarily having to do anything special like going to a particular place or event. I want life.
Manila looks very similar to a Latin American city to me. It reminds me a bit of Guayaquil, Ecuador (same tropical climate).

This is where I lived in Peru:

This is where I was born :

I love the place. it's so beautiful, and the perfect weather makes you want to jump up and do something. But where is everybody? Asleep, that's where. See what I mean? Everything for me is a dilemma. I want a bit of street action, but I want a bit of beauty too. It seems that I can't have both to any reasonable degree.
Tenerife looks nice. But that looks very different from Latin America.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Chibolo,

Guayaquil looks interesting. But I've heard some negative things about it. I can't remember what exactly but I remember thinking no way. Lima, I'm not sure. I had a look around on google street view recently view and for some reason it doesn't look exciting at all, although in the video that you've posted it does look interesting. I don't mind a bit of the "oh shit, will I get shot today" vibe (which some of these places have), as long as it's not really dangerous. Yes the capital of Tenerife is very different. It has more in common with Barcelona (pretty but no exciting street life) than Manila.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm obsessed with filipinas, so my city of choice would have to have some. I've heard that Acapulco has a lot of filipinos. I wonder if anyone can confirm this.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Johnny1975 wrote:Chibolo,

Guayaquil looks interesting. But I've heard some negative things about it. I can't remember what exactly but I remember thinking no way. Lima, I'm not sure. I had a look around on google street view recently view and for some reason it doesn't look exciting at all, although in the video that you've posted it does look interesting. I don't mind a bit of the "oh shit, will I get shot today" vibe (which some of these places have), as long as it's not really dangerous. Yes the capital of Tenerife is very different. It has more in common with Barcelona (pretty but no exciting street life) than Manila.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm obsessed with filipinas, so my city of choice would have to have some. I've heard that Acapulco has a lot of filipinos. I wonder if anyone can confirm this.
Well I am no expert on Guayaquil. I have been there, but only for a couple of days. I did like the city though. It also has some nice beaches nearby:

I have also heard that it has a crime problem, but I think by taking some precautions, like staying in safe areas and being careful with taxis you should be fine. I didn't have any problems when I was there.

Personally I like Lima. It is a huge city and it has some very nice, relativvely safe areas and many not so nice ones. That video I posted shows Miraflores, which is an upper middle class/upper class neighborhood. Other similar areas are Barranco and San Isidro. One area in Lima that I personally like is called San Miguel, which is a more lower middle class neighborhood.

Here is a video showing Barranco:

San Miguel
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Both look good. Barranco looks so good I want to make love to it. What a shame that the most exciting places aren't that nice. And how odd that what's in those videos is so different to street view. When I looked around various parts of Lima I wasn't impressed.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Johnny1975 wrote:Both look good. Barranco looks so good I want to make love to it. What a shame that the most exciting places aren't that nice. And how odd that what's in those videos is so different to street view. When I looked around various parts of Lima I wasn't impressed.
LOL! Well it depends on what part of the city you were looking at. Lima also has areas that look like this:

If you want more "excitement" in an area that is still ok you can go to the center of the city, near the Plaza de Armas

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Yes I suppose it depends on the neighbourhood. Lima and Guayaquil do look nice. Maybe street view isn't that reliable. But there are so many other issues like weather, infrastructure, and other stuff. It's really hard to find a country or a city that has what I want. The Philippines ticks a lot of boxes but at a very high price (i.e. so much to tolerate and adapt to).

It seems that the world is divided into two parts. The part with nice looking cities, relative safety, reasonable infrastructure, etc, but lacking in connection, excitement or interesting females, then there's the other part with it's hot girls walking around and friendly people, but with scams, humidity, brownouts, traffic, noise, etc.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Are you still looking for Filipina's in Spain, Johnny?

I was speaking to one who lives and works in Madrid the other day, off a dating site. Very attractive, bubbly and seems decent. Would have pursued her myself if I hadn't found someone else.