Employment: Extroverts vs. Introverts

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Employment: Extroverts vs. Introverts

Post by Tsar »

S_Parc wrote:
The wrote:Tsar will always find an excuse not to do anything....Analysis Paralysis....Ill bet his next thread will be whether or not Introverts do well abroad..... :roll:
Tsar...

...he'll never ... be able to talk to eastern European women in his age bracket.
I WILL NEVER BE WITH women (actually, I meant to say sluts or whores) in my age bracket. It's girls that are virgin jailbait or nothing. I won't have a used-goods whore no matter her national origin.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Like always any thread I post goes off-topic and makes me a target. I don't know why I bother posting anything on this forum anymore when 99% of the members are jerks and assholes to me all the time. Too bad there isn't a delete account option on the user control panel.

Relating to Ghost's topic I would have liked to have gone to China and began teaching English months ago BUT it isn't free.

Cost of CELTA certification in China: 11,500 RMB =$1850.67 USD (May 5, 2015 exchange rate)
Latest course in 2015: August 3-28
One-way ticket to China (assuming I booked the flight today and left on August 1): $1,256.80 for Hainan Airlines
Flight 482

Cost per night to stay in a hotel: http://www.ihbeijing.com/celta/faqs.html can reserve one for the student for $45.09 USD per night. $1,262.52 for a 28 day stay. A hostel could be rented for maybe $10 cheaper but for that price a hotel reserved by the program might be better.

$135 is the cost to renew my US passport, I would need to pay for about 4 weeks of lodging and 4 weeks of food while I take the CELTA certification, I might need a round-trip ticket to enter China, and the travel visa to be allowed to enter China costs $140 for Americans. Assuming I stay in a Hostel from August

$1,850.67 Cost to become CELTA certified
$1,256.80 One-Way Ticket
$1,262.52 28-day stay in a Beijing hotel
$135 U.S. Passport Renewal
$140 Chinese Entry Visa
=$4,644.99

*Food, any necessary transportation to and from the airport, and any medical care, or travelers insurance, making the ticket round-trip if necessary, or any airline baggage fees not included. Cost of getting a laptop or going to an internet cafe is not included, are those optional? Cost of buying a suitcase is not included. Increase the above figure. An estimated total for the entire trip could go as high as $7,000.

I would follow Ghost's advice and know that doing the program in China will give me a very good chance of getting a job teaching English somewhere in China. The program is how do I come up with the money?

Tell me where I can get free money to afford everything? My annual net cash income is around $6,000 at the moment. That equals out to $500 a month in America.

Did 90% of the members on HappierAbroad fail their f***ing math classes in high school or college? Or do all of you just have no f***ing idea of the expenses and think anyone and everyone can afford a $5,000 or 7,000 expense?

ANSWER MY f***ing QUESTION: HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO RAISE THE MONEY? Do most of the people posting in this thread have no idea that not everyone can come up with the funds to afford a large expense?

So yes, I'm sitting here in America, working on some of the projects Marcos mentioned while I'm trying to save for something like going to China to get the CELTA certification and teach English.

Once I go to China, my U.S. income ends effectively putting me at $0 income and only expenses. Should I try getting a personal loan to do something I can't afford and maybe be stuck repaying the loan for 5 years (if that's even allowed and take a moderate risk that I end up defaulting on the loan ruining my near Excellent credit rating?)? I won't go more than $3,000 into debt for anything and it would take one-year for me to pay off a $3,000 loan.

Since most of you are all quick to judge, let's see how many of you are quick to talk numbers and the cost of me going to China to get my CELTA certification which would allow me to teach English?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I don't think you're hated Tsar, getting some beating doesn't mean that.
Maybe I can't speak for the forum but i would think everyone would like to see you succeed abroad. Damn i'd like to be shown that getting that jailbait girl is possible for real.
As far as money goes, its' been what? 7 years since you left high school? WHat have you done all this time? how come you don't have five or six grand saved? Well, take away four years since you attended college, but still.
I always give you the same self righteous rap, but i took house painting at 18 and the following year i could afford a trip to France to attend an expensive racing school. '
Have you looked at blue collar stuff like i've suggested?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

droid wrote:I always give you the same self righteous rap, but i took house painting at 18 and the following year i could afford a trip to France to attend an expensive racing school. '
Forget about giving advice.

When I was a kid, I used to talk to elderly veterans at the VFW, not too far from the Scouts. I'd learned a lot, being mostly a listener, hearing accounts about flying Hueys in SE Asia or working in triage. I'd heard stories about Normandy, liberating the camp at Buchenwald, etc. And yes, I wasn't comfortable, communicating with other Scouts within my own age bracket but at least I was actively working on breaking out of being a shy kid, by interacting with the elderly.

And then, when I'd get home, there would be non-stop shouting matches between my dad and my sister. So life wasn't a bowl of cherries but I'd never rescinded in attempting to improve myself socially. The result of that effort did payoff, when I'd become an adult and moved on.

Thus, I'd that this advice column thing is a waste of time. One's either a victim or the captain of one's ship.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote:As far as money goes, its' been what? 7 years since you left high school? WHat have you done all this time? how come you don't have five or six grand saved? Well, take away four years since you attended college, but still.
In the town where I live, about half the population of any age couldn’t come up with $1k if their life depended on it. The explanation is simple - people are mostly broke now, and most of the rest will also be broke in a short time. If your only options are peanuts paying jobs punctuated by periods of unemployment with ever increasing costs then you are not going to be saving a lot of money.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:I don't think you're hated Tsar, getting some beating doesn't mean that.
Maybe I can't speak for the forum but i would think everyone would like to see you succeed abroad. Damn i'd like to be shown that getting that jailbait girl is possible for real.
As far as money goes, its' been what? 7 years since you left high school? WHat have you done all this time? how come you don't have five or six grand saved? Well, take away four years since you attended college, but still.
I always give you the same self righteous rap, but i took house painting at 18 and the following year i could afford a trip to France to attend an expensive racing school. '
Six years of college after high school. So education up to middle of 2014. I didn't have much of an income. So it's about one year that I've been free (it took me six years four year degree because of a very rough patch in my life). I've been trying to save what I can but savings is limited on $500 cash income per month.

I could have had $3,000 more in savings if I hadn't made some various mistakes.

I have looked at painting jobs. Last year was a little late to think about landscaping. I don't know how to do lawns. Plumbing, electrical, or mechanics would take more education and I'm done with education. The only additional education I would do is the CELTA in China.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Ghost wrote:First of all, your numbers about China are wrong. You don't need a TEFL or a CELTA. Subtract $3000 right away. That means you don't need $1200 to stay in a hotel. If you time it right, you could get that plane ticket to China down from $1200 to $1000.

You have a degree, so you can still teach English in Northern China without extra qualification.

You'll need money for a plane ticket, a visa, and money to live there for a month, plus anything you need for preparations. (A laptop for example, or new clothes if you need them.)

You can do it for $2500. Live a bare-bones life for a little while and save up. You live at home, which means you can save money. And you have an income. If you really "can't" save enough money, then go apply for some shit job like Wal-mart. On your application, put fully open hours and availability. Take any extra shifts they can give you.

You always try to make it more difficult than it is. I never mentioned you needing a CELTA before, but you brought it up here and instantly added $4000 to your expenses for going to teach in Northern China.

Quit f***ing yourself over. Do SOMETHING to get you closer to your dream. No one gives you shit for having an uphill battle. We give you shit because you say you want it so bad but you don't do anything to achieve it.
Stop trying to help him.
You can't save him.

I have a feeling even if he had money it would be something else.
He can make it happen, he doesn't have it in him.

He's going to wake up at the age of 35, still at home and say where have the years gone.
Remember Tsar, time is more valuable than money or anything tangible.

Time isn't tangible and will never be, same goes for the rest of you boys.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Cornfed wrote:
droid wrote:As far as money goes, its' been what? 7 years since you left high school? WHat have you done all this time? how come you don't have five or six grand saved? Well, take away four years since you attended college, but still.
In the town where I live, about half the population of any age couldn’t come up with $1k if their life depended on it. The explanation is simple - people are mostly broke now, and most of the rest will also be broke in a short time. If your only options are peanuts paying jobs punctuated by periods of unemployment with ever increasing costs then you are not going to be saving a lot of money.
Oh please, I have clients in Africa paying €5,000 invoices for widgets and they have the money.
You're out of excuses and running on bullshit at this point.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

eurobrat wrote:He's going to wake up at the age of 35, still at home and say where have the years gone.
As time goes by, that outcome becomes more and more probable.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Ghost wrote:First of all, your numbers about China are wrong. You don't need a TEFL or a CELTA. Subtract $3000 right away. That means you don't need $1200 to stay in a hotel. If you time it right, you could get that plane ticket to China down from $1200 to $1000.

You have a degree, so you can still teach English in Northern China without extra qualification.
I'll admit I was wrong. I thought I needed one but now I know it's not necessary for Northern China.
Ghost wrote:You'll need money for a plane ticket, a visa, and money to live there for a month, plus anything you need for preparations. (A laptop for example, or new clothes if you need them.)

You can do it for $2500. Live a bare-bones life for a little while and save up. You live at home, which means you can save money. And you have an income. If you really "can't" save enough money, then go apply for some shit job like Wal-mart. On your application, put fully open hours and availability. Take any extra shifts they can give you.
I am working on saving money. I believe I would have enough saved to go to Northern China to teach English by the end of the year trying to save the maximum. It becomes easier very soon when I get rid of my car. I will need to buy a cheap laptop and I might need to buy some suits or whatever the dress code is for the job in China which I am also saving money to do. My passport expires in several months so I will be renewing it.
Ghost wrote:You always try to make it more difficult than it is. I never mentioned you needing a CELTA before, but you brought it up here and instantly added $4000 to your expenses for going to teach in Northern China.
You didn't mention it but other posters mentioned it in various threads. I was reading teaching English abroad websites to prepare myself with expectations and what is typically required. Since my numbers were greater than what is needed for Northern China it will allow me to go sooner.
Ghost wrote:Quit f***ing yourself over. Do SOMETHING to get you closer to your dream. No one gives you shit for having an uphill battle. We give you shit because you say you want it so bad but you don't do anything to achieve it.
I don't try to give off that impression. The major issue is saving money which is what I'm doing something but I'm constrained by time. While I wait to save I have been doing things like working on developing one of my domains. I previously wrote my first novella a few months. I've also been exercising more which had improved my tones. So it's not like I'm not doing anything while I wait for my savings to be enough. I do what I myself can control but I am forced to ignore external factors like time, how much I can or can't save, etc. I also took S Parc's advice and have been studying spoken Russian as best as possible. I mentioned that I have gotten something by Pimsleur to try to learn Russian from a torrent site. It takes a lot of practice and memorization to learn another language.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Ghost wrote:You have an income, but you are having trouble saving money. (See the part about your car above.) There are some clear things you are wasting money on, and you keep trying to say it will cost you thousands of dollars more than it will. Stop. Sabotaging. Yourself.
I know I never mentioned the car before but I figured it was obvious because I was commuting more than two years to college. It's a leased car so I get rid of it in a few more months once the lease expires. My ability to save increases by +40% without having that car.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

You don't need a CELTA to teach in China, but it helps.

I'm doing the part time CELTA right now (2 days a week) and almost everyone on my course have jobs.

The CELTA is a good thing to get though - you'll learn a lot and 120 hours in the classroom learning from highly experienced teachers and observing your peers is way better than any online course. Plus we're teaching real, paying students which is far more realistic than just teaching each other like we did on my TEFL course.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

eurobrat wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Oh please, I have clients in Africa paying €5,000 invoices for widgets and they have the money.
You're out of excuses and running on bullshit at this point.
So because some people/simians/organizations out of a continent of hundreds of millions can come up with a few thousand dollars, this means that everyone in the West must be rich? You must have a brain the size of a walnut.