Is Brazil really that racist

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Is Brazil really that racist

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I was watching City of God and the guy at the beginning that killed his wife reminded me of the typical butthurt white trash redneck in the southeast. However, there were a lot of interracial relations in that movie. I thought black brazilians were stigmatized and untouchable to the other brazilians.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is Brazil really that racist

Post by Rock »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I was watching City of God and the guy at the beginning that killed his wife reminded me of the typical butthurt white trash redneck in the southeast. However, there were a lot of interracial relations in that movie. I thought black brazilians were stigmatized and untouchable to the other brazilians.
I noticed in Rio a fair percentage of favala rats who would come down and harass the middle class locals and tourists in Copa and and Ipanema were mixed combo of black, indian, and/or white (some kind of carmel color). Many have straight hair. There were also a lot who looked more purely W. African like you see more up in Salvador. So poor class seems to be made up of lots of mixed people of various shades combined with W. African looking types.

But I don't think I ever saw anyone who looked purely white European coming out of favelas. Those types of locals are rarer in Rio and usually you only see them in middle/upper class areas of city or nice areas of suburbs such as Barra da Tijuca.
The
Junior Poster

Re: Is Brazil really that racist

Post by The »

Have you even gone to Brazil to experience it your self?