Why is Everyone So Paranoid of Travel?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Why is Everyone So Paranoid of Travel?

Post by zacb »

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like ordinary Americans are paranoid. While I am not saying you should go to Mogadishu, some of the worries from my own family members make them look outlandish. "There is ISIS everywhere!", "They hate Americans abroad!", and similar things are being echoed by people I know, even though I am going to Panama, which is no less safe than most US cities. Have the elites been successful in creating an invisible cage? Have you heard similar things from family members?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
The
Junior Poster

Re: Why is Everyone So Paranoid of Travel?

Post by The »

zacb wrote:Maybe it is just me, but it seems like ordinary Americans are paranoid. While I am not saying you should go to Mogadishu, some of the worries from my own family members make them look outlandish. "There is ISIS everywhere!", "They hate Americans abroad!", and similar things are being echoed by people I know, even though I am going to Panama, which is no less safe than most US cities. Have the elites been successful in creating an invisible cage? Have you heard similar things from family members?
Maybe you should stop projecting YOUR OWN travel insecurities on others?

Just a thought!

:D
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

When you're taught as an American that "America is the greatest country in the world," why would you want to leave the country? (Even though it's completely b.s.)
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

The , I am not paranoid of ISIS in Panama or people hating Americans in general. I am a little worried about thieves and such, but that is about it. Actually I heard both from a family member. I just don't get why people are so dumb when it comes to travel.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

Zacb.....you answered your own question with the first 5 words in your post....Its JUST YOU!
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

zboy_1, that is what I am getting at. I basically wanted to talk about that sentiment, but did not know how to start the topic.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

To be frank I find American attitudes like this to be beneficial for expats who have their shit together. It creates a natural barrier that repels a lot of undesirable Americans. Imagine if Americans traveled as much as Brits..it would create a shitty atmosphere in a lot of countries.

Brits have awful reputations in various EE countries because their undesirables travel a lot as well.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Repatriate wrote:To be frank I find American attitudes like this to be beneficial for expats who have their shit together. It creates a natural barrier that repels a lot of undesirable Americans. Imagine if Americans traveled as much as Brits..it would create a shitty atmosphere in a lot of countries.

Brits have awful reputations in various EE countries because their undesirables travel a lot as well.
Exactly! I don't want to see Americans abroad. Brits are scum because, as you mentioned, Repatriate, a lot of their a*holes travel abroad quite frequently (something I don't want to see happening with most Americans).
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

zboy1, overall it is probably good, but it is just that it is sad to see how easy it is for people to fall for tricks from the powers that be, even though the people I mentioned know about TPB! It is kind of weird how people can come so far, yet fall so short.
Franco
Freshman Poster

Post by Franco »

Americans are generally viewed as arrogant, rude, and loud mouth. Americans do talk really LOUD. They are egocentric and want to be center of attention. The oblivious attitude Americans have in other countries rubs the local people the wrong way. Americans in Netherlands just want to smoke pot and bang hookers, while refusing to intermingle with the local Dutch culture. The Almighty US Dollar has lost its purchasing power compared to the Euro. Americans are ignorant when it comes to other countries because most Americans don't have a passport and haven't even left their home states.

American mentality: US is big enough why should I go to some godforsaken country like Russia? SMH.
Life is beautiful.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Franco wrote:Americans are generally viewed as arrogant, rude, and loud mouth. Americans do talk really LOUD. They are egocentric and want to be center of attention. The oblivious attitude Americans have in other countries rubs the local people the wrong way. Americans in Netherlands just want to smoke pot and bang hookers, while refusing to intermingle with the local Dutch culture. The Almighty US Dollar has lost its purchasing power compared to the Euro. Americans are ignorant when it comes to other countries because most Americans don't have a passport and haven't even left their home states.

American mentality: US is big enough why should I go to some godforsaken country like Russia? SMH.
Your post will breeze over most grandiose-faux-personalities on this board of newfags whom became members. Franco, trying to have civil dialgoue or "multi-logue" is futile here on this board nowadays. My game plan is transcending slowly, but once I become Happier Aboard, I shall "flip the bird" at the non-believers on here (this doesn't apply to ALL members of HA!). I don't learn anything from the newfags on the board, but that's Gen-Y for you. There are also a lot of angry, bitter, jaded members on this board whom will never make it abroad and they know it already. It's amazing what post-2008 is doing to those who want to escape the Matrix (tm) and cannot. Trolling makes them feel good. It infuriates them that they have just read the aforementioned. =)

Your post indirectly and unindatedly explains the idle "shakers and movers" on this board. The ones who are out there "doing it" are actually abroad living Happier ABroad. You will get at least one IM/PM from a person vilifying me so that should be expected because real men aren't cowardice; they actually confront each other about it.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Franco wrote:Americans are generally viewed as arrogant, rude, and loud mouth. Americans do talk really LOUD. They are egocentric and want to be center of attention. The oblivious attitude Americans have in other countries rubs the local people the wrong way. Americans in Netherlands just want to smoke pot and bang hookers, while refusing to intermingle with the local Dutch culture. The Almighty US Dollar has lost its purchasing power compared to the Euro. Americans are ignorant when it comes to other countries because most Americans don't have a passport and haven't even left their home states.

Your post will breeze over most grandiose-faux-personalities on this board of newfags whom became members. Franco, trying to have civil dialgoue or "multi-logue" is futile here on this board nowadays. My game plan is transcending slowly, but once I become Happier Aboard, I shall "flip the bird" at the non-believers on here (this doesn't apply to ALL members of HA!). I don't learn anything from the newfags on the board, but that's Gen-Y for you. There are also a lot of angry, bitter, jaded members on this board whom will never make it abroad and they know it already. It's amazing what post-2008 is doing to those who want to escape the Matrix (tm) and cannot. Trolling makes them feel good. It infuriates them that they have just read the aforementioned. =)

Your post indirectly and unindatedly explains the idle "shakers and movers" on this board. The ones who are out there "doing it" are actually abroad living Happier ABroad. You will get at least one IM/PM from a person vilifying me so that should be expected because real men aren't cowardice; they actually confront each other about it.
You make a point there. It does seem more like wankers are coming here these days. I understand that some of us on here are truly stuck here until we can fund travel abroad (which was my case for the longest time). It is sad, but life is for the living!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

zacb wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:

You make a point there. It does seem more like wankers are coming here these days. I understand that some of us on here are truly stuck here until we can fund travel abroad (which was my case for the longest time). It is sad, but life is for the living!
Grunt was right in calling them out like that. Thank you for not being so susceptible to my response which typically affects the androgynous "lady boys" (to those it applies to - not all HA posters!) here.

It's one thing that one cannot help being broke due to 2008, but trying to be grandiose, not value free information and criticize giving lip back is beyond me. That I have a problem with. There's not that much respect for their "expat elders" here.
Last edited by E Irizarry R&B Singer on October 10th, 2014, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Franco wrote:Americans in Netherlands just want to smoke pot and bang hookers, while refusing to intermingle with the local Dutch culture.
I thought smoking pot and banging hookers was the local Dutch culture :)

Sorry - I couldn't help myself. In reality I agree with your post, which is why Americans who have their shit together do really well, since they are in the minority.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Disagree on one point: The dollar is currently the strongest against the euro that I can remember in years.