'We shouldn't judge people'?WTF

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Banano
Veteran Poster

'We shouldn't judge people'?WTF

Post by Banano »

Can somebody explain to me who came up with this BS?

What is logic behind it

Is it part of PC engineered by elites where we are suppossed to think that ' we are all equal' when in reality we not

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

That's modernity for you. Its origins lie in the 17th-18th century Enlightenment. Ever since, we have basically been led by morally neutral principles:

1)equality
2)liberty
3)tolerance

These principles are not virtues. IOW, they say nothing about what we ought to do. A follower of these principles wouldn't know what he was committing his life to. He would only believe that everyone should have equal access to the "good life." But he would have no clear guide on what a "good" life is.

In a nutshell, these principles only tell us to let others do what they want to do. Hence, "we shouldn't judge people."

BTW what is now called "post-modernity" is bullshit. The real post-modernity will be defined by a challenge to Enlightenment principles.
jagulep
Freshman Poster

Post by jagulep »

"Judge not, that ye be not judged" is in the Bible.

Although if you talk without ever judging anybody there would seem not to be much left to talk about! But as a general guide it seems to have merit or you'd just set yourself up for people to criticise you back which would probably make you feel worse.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Brazor, I think you're my new favorite poster. I'm hopeful about the end of post-modernism though. They've run out of things to deconstruct. I expect a new wave of nationalism to come about in the next couple centuries. So who stands in opposition to these non-virtues? A reactionary. This has been very eye opening:

http://radishmag.wordpress.com/