The American dream is a myth - Yahoo news article

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
steve55
Junior Poster

The American dream is a myth - Yahoo news article

Post by steve55 »

the US healthcare system is the dog compared to its Asian and Western European competitors. Yet most Americans continue to ignorantly believe we have the best of everything, the best opportunity and one of the best health care systems in the world. Pffft! Yea, if it doesn't bankrupt you first!!!

Quote from article.....
"Statistician United Nations health economist Howard Friedman compares the United States to 13 other wealthy nations in five key categories: health, education, safety, democracy and equality. His analysis and conclusions are alarming: the U.S. has fallen far behind in most of these areas, causing the nation to become "the Dog" when juxtaposed to its Asian and Western European competitors.the U.S. health care system — widely touted as the best in the world by the U.S. health care industry — ranks 37th in the world by the World Health Organization. France and Italy hold the top two spots. The U.S. also spends two to four times more on health care than any other country but the U.S. also has the lowest life expectancy.The U.S. has far less social mobility than other wealthy countries," he says. "The American dream of this social mobility actually turns out to be a myth. The top student from a poor neighborhood has roughly the same chance of graduating college as the worst student from a wealthy neighborhood. That's not a meritocracy."
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 28171.html
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Yahoo news article today- The American dream is a myth a

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
Wow Contrarian, that clip from the "Newsroom," is one of the most incredible videos I've ever seen; can you believe a maninstream cable series would dare to say that America is not the greatest country in the world and list reasons why that is no longer the case! All of the comments too, are refreshing, with most people admitting the truism presented in the video. Should awaken a lot of people to the truth! I would suggest Winston post a response video with a link to Happier Abroad, so more people could be directed to this forum.
FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster

Post by FlyingMoose »

zboy1 wrote:...a maninstream cable series...
It's Yahoo (the search engine), so it's just on the internet, not on cable, as far as I know.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

FlyingMoose wrote:
zboy1 wrote:...a maninstream cable series...
It's Yahoo (the search engine), so it's just on the internet, not on cable, as far as I know.
He's referring to the video clip from the HBO series "Newsroom". See above.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

Canadians can be just as arrogant about their health care system as Americans are about theirs. The health care system in Canada works relatively well, when it works - but many of the European public/private systems work somewhat better. At least it doesn't put Canadians in the poor house like the US system often does.

The Canadian system works roughly the same as the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK - which isn't surprising, considering that the Canadian system was modeled after the NHS.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Southeast Asia is currently the only place in the world where the economy is growing and is expected to keep growing for the next 10 years. Specifically, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia are doing very well right now. For my money, Thailand has the best hospitals, dentists, hotels and restaurants in the world. Investing your money in emerging Asian markets is your best option, all Industrialized countries will continue to be downgraded. You should leave now while you still can.
DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

yes

Post by DarrenFW »

Yeah what's next 40 year old men living at home with their parents?
Check out my Blog and Website!
http://www.goglobaldating.com

Features FREE ebook, forum and good articles.
http://goglobaldating.com/forum/
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: yes

Post by djfourmoney »

DarrenFW wrote:Yeah what's next 40 year old men living at home with their parents?
Happening more than you think.... 16% of Men from 30-34 have returned home.

I came back home in 2001 (31) and haven't left since. However between 2003-2007 I wasn't home much as I was driving for two of the largest trucking companies in North America.

Not leaving until I'm about to get married and have to leave. No reason to give my money away to slum lords or corporate controlled premium housing.

Neither have understand of the realities of living and only see the bottom line.