Why forced tipping/gratuity in America is unethical, illogical, & infringes on free will!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why forced tipping/gratuity in America is unethical, illogical, & infringes on free will!

Post by Winston »

Voyager1 wrote:
February 18th, 2023, 5:29 am
Tipping is part of the restaurant experience IMO. What is wrong with tipping your server if they go the extra mile for you such as making good menu recommendations or bringing your food to you quickly while it's still hot?
Btw Voyager. Sure if a waiter goes the EXTRA mile I would be glad to leave a tip. That's the way it should be and it should be optional, not required. But the thing is, in America you are expected to tip even if they do NOT go the extra mile or do anything special and just give you basic service and bring you your food from the kitchen which anyone can do. Do you get it? You are expected to tip even if they did NOT go the extra mile or do anything special other than their basic job. That's what's wrong. Don't you see that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why forced tipping/gratuity in America is unethical, illogical, & infringes on free will!

Post by Winston »

@Yohan

Wow those are pretty dramatic experiences in America. When I leave just one dollar they don't usually chase me out or confront me or give me bad service next time. Maybe on the West Coast people are more polite and reserved and don't dare start a confrontation?

I don't understand something though. When that pizza delivery person came to the door and gave you the pizza or food, at that point the food is in your hand, so when you gave the cash what would it matter if you gave them no tip or a little tip? The food is already in your hands, so they can't throw it in front of your door right? Do you mean leave it on your doorstep? That would be ok too if the food were undamaged right?

What are the tipping customs in Europe and in your native country? Do most people leave tips in restaurants in Europe even though it's optional and you don't have to? What percentage leave a tip and what percentage leave nothing? Do they leave small tips or big ones? Thanks.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

If they don't go the extra mile or provide exemplary service I tip less or not at all. These are rare occasions because most of the service I've received is good.

What about tipping in the app? I mean for Uber or a taxi service? I tip if the guy helps me with my suitcase getting in and out of the car.

I had one Uber guy he wouldn't stop talking the whole two hour trip. I didn't tip him a nickel.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
February 19th, 2023, 12:53 am
@Yohan
Wow those are pretty dramatic experiences in America. When I leave just one dollar they don't usually chase me out or confront me or give me bad service next time. Maybe on the West Coast people are more polite and reserved and don't dare start a confrontation?
It's a difference If you visit the States as a foreign visitor (especially from Japan) or if you are a local living in the same area since many years.
Japanese people are often unable to communicate in English and are easily cheated in the States with demanding tips, as this custom does not exist in Japan. It does not matter if East Coast or West Coast...

I remember when I was in a group of Japanese friends in Hawaii (many years ago) and we were visiting a Korean restaurant, and with Korean food you order often many small plates. Korean food is not cheap. We were about 10 people and when leaving we received a surprisingly high invoice.
They showed us a bundle of small order notes, all written hastily by hand in Korean language.

What they did not realize up to that moment: One woman in our group was a Japanese-Korean, fluent in Japanese, using a Japanese name but a native Korean speaker.
Very useful if you have such an aggressive person with you in such a situation, as Koreans are not so polite compared to Japanese.
She was looking through all these Korean notes, sorting them and was starting a terrible quarrel in Korean and English. What is this? Nobody ordered it. - What? You charge a big plate, but we ordered only a small plate etc. etc. Finally the invoice was reduced by more than USD 200,- and when leaving, the staff was still asking why no tip... can you believe this?
I don't understand something though. When that pizza delivery person came to the door and gave you the pizza or food, at that point the food is in your hand, so when you gave the cash what would it matter if you gave them no tip or a little tip? The food is already in your hands, so they can't throw it in front of your door right? Do you mean leave it on your doorstep? That would be ok too if the food were undamaged right?
This was not a pizza, but just groceries and other items from a supermarket (creditcard payment). Left on the doorstep or just thrown over the fence is the same - no tip. Therefore knowing your good customers you need to come as quick as possible take your time ringing at the door and be especially polite - and the customer MUST give you a good tip, if not - see above... first finish all deliveries, no tip means served last, just over the fence if any...also doorstep using the delivery bag as a football...
What are the tipping customs in Europe and in your native country? Do most people leave tips in restaurants in Europe even though it's optional and you don't have to? What percentage leave a tip and what percentage leave nothing? Do they leave small tips or big ones? Thanks.
I have not been in Europe since decades, but unfortunately some cities in some countries are known as a rip off and a tourist trap - often places in Italy and Greece are known to be openly into overcharging.

In general in most cases, when you pay in restaurants or need some hotel related services like porters - you give something, depends on the situation, for example if the invoice is Euro 77, you accept as change of the 100 Euro bill only the 20 Euro bill, and do not accept the 3 Euro coins....or the taxi invoice is 13 Euro, you give him a 20 Euro bill and accept only the 5 Euro bill as change in return.

I remember that the tourism office of my native country made an investigation with some undercover people posing as unexperienced tourists in some restaurants, hotels, other facilities and taxis etc. and the result was if you give something or nothing... same service - if an invoice is 100 Euro, you give 100 Euro and no tip...if the invoice is 96 Euro and you give 100 Euro, and take the 4 Euro change or refuse to take them... just the same, tips are taken but not really expected.

-----------
We have to see both sides:

Japan is somehow exceptional - no tips at all and Japanese people who hardly have any contact with foreigners feel even being offended when tips are offered. Never offer a tip while in Japan.

USA is exactly the opposite, tips are expected and even added to the invoice. Everybody wants tips.

In Japan major hotels with many US-guests give even instruction/training to their employees how to react politely when somebody from USA is offering tips to them - never react angrily, but gratefully, to say thank you and accept immediately if the amount is small, just a few dollars - and how to react if the amount is high, for example ask if it is OK to share it with other staff before accepting it or to give it into a donation box for a good reason like for earthquake help or dogs for the blind people, or in case of strange behavior of the guest (drunk etc.) how to refuse a tip...

Both countries, USA and Japan are somehow the exception. Somehow totally into tips or totally refuse them.

In most countries I have been small tips are accepted but not really expected...never openly demanded.

For example, Thailand is neither a rich nor a poor country, but restaurant/hotel staff is often low paid - however tips, if any, are left invisible on the table in the folder which was used to bring the bill and will only be collected after the guest left.

Many self-service restaurants, supermarkets etc. in Thailand and also in Philippines have a donation box...also the motorcycle wash place I use in Pattaya - staff is not allowed to accept tips but to point to the donation box - the collected money will be shared later on with all staff.
My experience when using a gas station in Pattaya, if the amount is 100 baht, I give 100 baht - finished, if the amount is 92 baht, I give him or her 100 baht and refuse the small change in coins.

I am not against small tips in general, but I am against aggressive demanding of tips from customers and to consider tips as a part of the invoice.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Someone left this comment under my video rant about tipping in America.

2_UU • 6 hours ago (edited)
I don't eat at the restaurants in the US because of tipping. I always get take-out and eat anywhere else. Saves me money and time. I also hate when waitress keeps asking "Is everything going OK" or "Do you need anything?" every 5 minutes. So I am paying her a tip to annoy me while I am eating. What an exciting experience. Not.

My reply:

Happier Abroad: Escape USA & Date Foreign Women!
• 1 second ago
Why not eat at restaurants and leave 1 dollar tip like I do? I've always done that and get away with it. No consequences. However, the prices at US restaurants are ridiculous now. The prices used to be 7 dollars a plate, now it's 14, plus they add tax and expect a 20 percent tip too. Ridiculous.

• 1 second ago
Btw I'm in Taiwan now. Here in Taiwan the restaurant meals are 6 dollars or less and there's no taxes or tips! Totally blows America away! Why do so many ignorant people think Amerca is the greatest? Also the government here provides full national healthcare for a very low price of 200 dollars per year! Again, totally blows America away!

galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Winston wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 1:05 am
Someone left this comment under my video rant about tipping in America.

2_UU • 6 hours ago (edited)
I don't eat at the restaurants in the US because of tipping. I always get take-out and eat anywhere else. Saves me money and time. I also hate when waitress keeps asking "Is everything going OK" or "Do you need anything?" every 5 minutes. So I am paying her a tip to annoy me while I am eating. What an exciting experience. Not.

My reply:

• 1 second ago
Why not eat at restaurants and leave 1 dollar tip like I do? I've always done that and get away with it. No consequences. However, the prices at US restaurants are ridiculous now. The prices used to be 7 dollars a plate, now it's 14, plus they add tax and expect a 20 percent tip too. Ridiculous.

• 1 second ago
Btw I'm in Taiwan now. Here in Taiwan the restaurant meals are 6 dollars or less and there's no taxes or tips! Totally blows America away! Why do so many ignorant people think Amerca is the greatest? Also the government here provides full national healthcare for a very low price of 200 dollars per year! Again, totally blows America away!
Right Taiwan is a great country but USA is even better. Taiwan can not even survive without the USA
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

@Winston In this video The MacMaster talks about being forced to leave a tip at a take away burger joint in NYC.

This is the way it's become in NYC and other parts of North America. They are pressuring you to leave a tip even if you do not receive table service.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cici's, a serve yourself pizza buffet chain, used to ask you on the bank card machine if you want to leave a tip. Now they've changed it so that you can't get past that to payment unless you leave at least 10 percent. Won't be eating there again unless I have cash.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

‘Tipping culture is out of control’ — even some businesses agree - CNBC
https://apple.news/A0CQda_9uS1CliaZGgFlweg

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I don't mind tipping at a sit down restaurant. The prompts are very irritating at Subway or at a coffee place.

I used to think Walmart had the best checkout. Just stick in your card and you don't have to read any more prompts. Now it asks for donations. Donations are fine but I prefer not to give through these big corporations and I don't want them to slow down my purchases.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I don't mind tipping at a sit down restaurant. The prompts are very irritating at Subway or at a coffee place.

I used to think Walmart had the best checkout. Just stick in your card and you don't have to read any more prompts. Now it asks for donations. Donations are fine but I prefer not to give through these big corporations and I don't want them to slow down my purchases.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Winston wrote:
February 19th, 2023, 12:14 am
Voyager1 wrote:
February 18th, 2023, 5:29 am
Tipping is part of the restaurant experience IMO. What is wrong with tipping your server if they go the extra mile for you such as making good menu recommendations or bringing your food to you quickly while it's still hot?
Btw Voyager. Sure if a waiter goes the EXTRA mile I would be glad to leave a tip. That's the way it should be and it should be optional, not required. But the thing is, in America you are expected to tip even if they do NOT go the extra mile or do anything special and just give you basic service and bring you your food from the kitchen which anyone can do. Do you get it? You are expected to tip even if they did NOT go the extra mile or do anything special other than their basic job. That's what's wrong. Don't you see that?
Americans won't understand this, Winston there is a concept known as critical period, where a child learns behavior from mirroring. Tipping is one of those behaviors.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.