Update: WE ARE BACK ONLINE! The Forum has been RESTORED! See announcement here. If there are any problems or issues, please report them in the announcement thread. Note: Unfortunately I was not able to import the posts made after the crash (on Sept 18) into the restored forum. However, I exported all the posts submitted after the crash into a Word file, so you can download it, find your posts and re-post them. Download the posts here. Thanks for your patience and welcome back everyone!



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


How do I travel with lighter luggage for better mobility?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » January 24th, 2016, 5:30 am

Another article on traveling light. In this case, traveling around the world with a 20 lb backpack.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/01/2 ... -backpack/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



User avatar
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster
Posts: 277
Joined: October 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Location: USA

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Mr Natural » January 24th, 2016, 12:35 pm

I looked at his list, one pair of pants and two t-shirts, total. Well we know he looked like a bum, and guys who carry very few clothes are often the ones who smell like a trash dump when you get near them. For hot climates you can only imagine how much sweating he did with all wool clothing. He said he got in the shower wearing his clothes everyday, you wanna travel that way?
For me, I just accept the fact that I will have one carry on and one checked bag. With all the electronics and several clothing changes plus a few convenience items it's too difficult to go really light. It just creates problems and makes the trip less enjoyable.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson

User avatar
milleyj83
Freshman Poster
Posts: 1
Joined: March 20th, 2019, 11:20 am

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by milleyj83 » March 21st, 2019, 8:58 am

I just got my travel backpack from Leafy Souls it is very light and it is easy to carry in any travel.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » May 5th, 2019, 2:27 am

Some videos and public demos by Rick Steves where he shows you how to pack and travel light with only one backpack or small luggage piece on wheels.







Rick Steves explains how to choose the right travel gear.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » May 6th, 2019, 1:06 am

Rick Steves' assistant tour guide, Sarah Murdoch, explains in these demo videos below how to pack lightly so you can travel Europe with either one backpack or one small luggage piece on wheels.



Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » May 6th, 2019, 1:08 am

Videos by Sarah Murdoch (Rick Steves' assistant tour guide) where she explains how to pack a day bag and fit everything you need into it.



Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3478
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » May 6th, 2019, 1:37 am

Rick Steves is a bit of a dork whose travel advice is a joke for guys like me who live on the road full time.

My rule of thumb is bring 2 extra large spinner suitcases and a laptop backpack which can be a spinner also.

Why? Because my travel spans from summer to winter, my clothes are bigger than most, and I bring day clothes, workout clothes, and night clothes.

This means I do pay extra baggage fees which are a necessary evil. I get around any airport easily with my spinner cases, and as soon as my cases are checked in, I convert my laptop bag from a backpack to a spinner backpack. That special backpack is the Vanguard Alta 55T which every serious traveler needs to have!

Image

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lling.html

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » May 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:37 am
Rick Steves is a bit of a dork whose travel advice is a joke for guys like me who live on the road full time.

My rule of thumb is bring 2 extra large spinner suitcases and a laptop backpack which can be a spinner also.

Why? Because my travel spans from summer to winter, my clothes are bigger than most, and I bring day clothes, workout clothes, and night clothes.

This means I do pay extra baggage fees which are a necessary evil. I get around any airport easily with my spinner cases, and as soon as my cases are checked in, I convert my laptop bag from a backpack to a spinner backpack. That special backpack is the Vanguard Alta 55T which every serious traveler needs to have!

Image

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lling.html
Is that the bag you use? Why does it cost $229? What's so special about it? Usually the top quality brands cost only $100. Even Rick Steves backpacks cost around $100. Plus it looks like that one is for photographers based on the inner compartments shown in the video at the link above. Not for clothes. Is there a way to convert that into a backpack for clothes? Or do you squish your clothes in there somehow? lol

Did you watch Rick Steves videos above? He makes some good points about why you should travel with only one backpack, or small roller luggage case with wheels. His advice does make sense. Why can't you use just one backpack? Maybe you can watch his videos and think about it. It would reduce your weight by a lot.

Doesn't it get tired rolling around two luggage pieces all the time? It gets hard on your body right?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » May 10th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Btw everyone, I recommend using a toiletry bag that you can hang in the bathroom wall, and open and fold with two compartments, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Travel-Cos ... 1ccL7q9rhQ

Image

Image

You can get it at the store, or on ebay cheaply, as you can see in the link above. That's the kind of toiletry bag I use. It's so easy and portable and convenient. I can hang it on almost any bathroom wall in any hotel. Even without a hook or pole, you can still hang it on the shower pole next to the shower curtain.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3478
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » May 10th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Winston wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Is that the bag you use? Why does it cost $229? What's so special about it? Usually the top quality brands cost only $100. Even Rick Steves backpacks cost around $100. Plus it looks like that one is for photographers based on the inner compartments shown in the video at the link above. Not for clothes. Is there a way to convert that into a backpack for clothes? Or do you squish your clothes in there somehow? lol
It is designed to be a professional photography bag, but the inner compartments are completely removeable to convert it into a normal carry-on bag.

It is special because, as I mentioned before, it is both a backpack AND a 4-wheel spinner which is extremely rare. Do you know of a cheaper carry on bag with both backpack straps AND which is a 4-wheel spinner?
Winston wrote: Did you watch Rick Steves videos above? He makes some good points about why you should travel with only one backpack, or small roller luggage case with wheels. His advice does make sense. Why can't you use just one backpack? Maybe you can watch his videos and think about it. It would reduce your weight by a lot.
Rick Steve is a tourism specialist who does not LIVE abroad as do I. I travel from country to country for many months at a time and weather patterns change with the seasons. That means I need summer clothes, winter clothes, workout clothes, hang out at night clothes and other things that befit my active lifestyle. I am a 6'3" and 265 lbs so my clothes obviously take up more space then a "Rick Steves" type of individual.

Also, take a look at how Rick Steves dresses while traveling. He looks like a frumpy tourist. When I travel, I like to ensure that I do not appear like a tourist, but like an international bon vivant of sorts.
Winston wrote: Doesn't it get tired rolling around two luggage pieces all the time? It gets hard on your body right?
I only have to transport that luggage to and from the airports so no, it does not get tiring. As soon as my suitcases are checked in, I convert my backpack to a spinning roller which is a pleasure to use around the airports before my flights.

I have been traveling around the world for over 20 years, and this works best.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Winston » May 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 2:55 pm
Winston wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Is that the bag you use? Why does it cost $229? What's so special about it? Usually the top quality brands cost only $100. Even Rick Steves backpacks cost around $100. Plus it looks like that one is for photographers based on the inner compartments shown in the video at the link above. Not for clothes. Is there a way to convert that into a backpack for clothes? Or do you squish your clothes in there somehow? lol
It is designed to be a professional photography bag, but the inner compartments are completely removeable to convert it into a normal carry-on bag.

It is special because, as I mentioned before, it is both a backpack AND a 4-wheel spinner which is extremely rare. Do you know of a cheaper carry on bag with both backpack straps AND which is a 4-wheel spinner?
Winston wrote: Did you watch Rick Steves videos above? He makes some good points about why you should travel with only one backpack, or small roller luggage case with wheels. His advice does make sense. Why can't you use just one backpack? Maybe you can watch his videos and think about it. It would reduce your weight by a lot.
Rick Steve is a tourism specialist who does not LIVE abroad as do I. I travel from country to country for many months at a time and weather patterns change with the seasons. That means I need summer clothes, winter clothes, workout clothes, hang out at night clothes and other things that befit my active lifestyle. I am a 6'3" and 265 lbs so my clothes obviously take up more space then a "Rick Steves" type of individual.

Also, take a look at how Rick Steves dresses while traveling. He looks like a frumpy tourist. When I travel, I like to ensure that I do not appear like a tourist, but like an international bon vivant of sorts.
Winston wrote: Doesn't it get tired rolling around two luggage pieces all the time? It gets hard on your body right?
I only have to transport that luggage to and from the airports so no, it does not get tiring. As soon as my suitcases are checked in, I convert my backpack to a spinning roller which is a pleasure to use around the airports before my flights.

I have been traveling around the world for over 20 years, and this works best.
Oh yes I definitely have a backpack with wheels on it that is cheap. But it's only 2 wheels, not 4. Why is 4 wheels better? Why don't they make these backpacks with 4 wheels? There must be a reason right? Doesn't the wheels make the backpack heavier to carry or lift up?

Still, why $229 just for an extra two wheels? Is it because the bag is better quality? Is it water proof? Can you get it at a normal department store like Walmart? Or is it only sold online?

Usually at a mall you can get high quality luggage of all kinds.

So what about when you travel from one part of Europe to another? Do you bring both backpacks on the train or bus? You would have to right? Not just at the airport. Or do you only fly between cities in Europe?

How come Rick Steves never picks up girls while traveling and you never see him date women in Europe? Is he only for families and couples? Doesn't he know that single men love to meet women? lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3478
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » May 11th, 2019, 12:33 am

Winston wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Oh yes I definitely have a backpack with wheels on it that is cheap. But it's only 2 wheels, not 4. Why is 4 wheels better? Why don't they make these backpacks with 4 wheels? There must be a reason right? Doesn't the wheels make the backpack heavier to carry or lift up?
And that is precisely my point. Two roller wheels is not a solution for me as a 6'3" (6'4" with shoes) person. 4-wheels is called a "spinner" and it makes a world of difference when traveling, trust me. All of my luggage is of the 4-wheel spinner variety now. I could not have it any other way. I am actually quite shocked that you don't know the advantage of a 4 wheeler over a mere 2 wheeler!

Take a look at it below. Note that I remove the camera compartments to make it a normal carry on bag.


Winston wrote: Still, why $229 just for an extra two wheels? Is it because the bag is better quality? Is it water proof? Can you get it at a normal department store like Walmart? Or is it only sold online?
I would have paid even more for that bag because it is rare in terms of all he knick knacks it holds along with my laptop. See if you can find a comparable backpack that has 4 wheels. I'm sure in the future more companies will produce them, but as when I purchased it, there were only 2 companies, Samsonite which made a cheap quality version that is too small, and Vanguard which I purchased.
Winston wrote: So what about when you travel from one part of Europe to another? Do you bring both backpacks on the train or bus? You would have to right? Not just at the airport. Or do you only fly between cities in Europe?
No, you got it mixed up. I have two spinner suitcases and one spinner backpack. All three go with me around the world. And yes, I fly from city to city. On the rare occasion, I will take a train and my spinners make that simple also.
Winston wrote: How come Rick Steves never picks up girls while traveling and you never see him date women in Europe? Is he only for families and couples? Doesn't he know that single men love to meet women? lol
Precisely why I don't take any advice from him. He is a tourist who travels to do tourist things.

If you want to know who most approximated my travels style, the late great Anthony Bourdain. He made a lot of person friendships abroad, ate extremely well, and traveled like a seasoned bon vivant, not like a tourist. Only difference with me is I have an active nightlife and romantic life abroad so I dress well, not like the frumpy Rick Steves.

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2808
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: How do I travel lighter for better mobility?

Post by xiongmao » May 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

My uncle used to work on cruise liners. His buddy only ever used to bring a toothbrush on voyages - everything else you can buy.

Now I just really take stuff to Asia that I can't easily buy, like medicines and my favourite food spices.
I quit my boring cubicle slave job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Want to teach English overseas? Check out my experiences teaching at a Uni in China.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28265
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I travel with lighter luggage for better mobility?

Post by Winston » October 13th, 2019, 1:25 am

New article in our HA blog with tips on what to pack for on an overseas trip.

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2018/12/w ... -pt-i.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Questions and Advice”