The illusion of fulfillment always being in the future

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Winston
Site Admin

The illusion of fulfillment always being in the future

Post by Winston »

Some wisdom I imparted to a Chinese girl that I'm corresponding with. What do you think?

"When we last talked, I was trying to explain to you that most people live under the illusion that happiness lies in fulfillment in the future. They can't be happy now or today. They are always waiting for something to come in the future to make them happy - such as more money, buying a house or car, new job, love, marriage, etc. That's the wrong way to live, because even when you get what you want, you still look toward the future for something else to make you happy. It's all an illusion. For example, many people think that getting a good job and getting married will make them happy. But look at most marriages - they are not happy at all and only contain arguing, boredom, stress, etc. that's why they need a marriage contract, because otherwise they would not stay together. Look at most people with good jobs, like doctors or engineers. They live very stressful lives with no freedom and no free time. Their faces are not happy and are not full of life or energy or peace. They live like robots and slaves, their lives are totally controlled.

To be truly happy, you've got to have a spiritual attitude that lives in the now, that seeks happiness now and today, not the future. And you've got to make your life simple, with less debt, less problems, less property to worry about, less pressure, etc. Without peace of mind, you can't really be happy. To stay positive and optimistic, you have to work hard at it, but it's easier when your life is more simple and contains as little stress and burden as possible. Remember that whatever you own in terms of property and assets, will also own you as well. If you became rich, you would worry everyday about losing all your "wealth". The best life is to have "just enough" not too little or too much.

I listen to many wise teachers and have learned these things from them. That's why I share them with everyone I know. Does it all make sense?

You also got to understand that just because you learned something or were taught something by your culture, doesn't mean it's true. Our culture deceives people and tricks them. It tells them that more work, more money, and buying more and more material things will make them happy. It teaches the philosophy that "more is better". But if you always believe that "more is better" then you can never have peace. You see how insane this mentality is?

When you investigate and look deeper, you find that most of what we are taught is false and an illusion. Deep down we all feel the truth, but most of us never face it. "

PS - I highly recommend the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It's a best seller in every major bookstore and goes in depth about how you can be happy and fulfilled now, in the present, rather than always looking for it in some future that never exists. You can download a PDF copy here: http://www.happierabroad.com/ThePowerofNow.pdf
Last edited by Winston on June 22nd, 2012, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

Winston, "the now" is significant because everything happens sporadically through consciousness. That's not to say occurrences aren't syncretized, but synchronicity is a time-based structure of the mind. Structures are limiting by nature and their only purpose is to deduct understanding of things in order to make use of them. The unfortunate tendency of our minds is to interpret ourselves in this way; structurally as relative to other humans. Because of this, our bodies are now serving our minds (when it should be the other way around), and our minds are serving a corrupted, backwards system.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: The illusion of fulfillment always being in the future

Post by OutWest »

Winston wrote:See below. What do you think?

"When we last talked, I was trying to explain to you that most people live under the illusion that happiness lies in fulfillment in the future. They can't be happy now or today. They are always waiting for something to come in the future to make them happy - such as more money, buying a house or car, new job, love, marriage, etc. That's the wrong way to live, because even when you get what you want, you still look toward the future for something else to make you happy. It's all an illusion. For example, many people think that getting a good job and getting married will make them happy. But look at most marriages - they are not happy at all and only contain arguing, boredom, stress, etc. that's why they need a marriage contract, because otherwise they would not stay together. Look at most people with good jobs, like doctors or engineers. They live very stressful lives with no freedom and no free time. Their faces are not happy and are not full of life or energy or peace. They live like robots and slaves, their lives are totally controlled.

To be truly happy, you've got to have a spiritual attitude that lives in the now, that seeks happiness now and today, not the future. And you've got to make your life simple, with less debt, less problems, less property to worry about, less pressure, etc. Without peace of mind, you can't really be happy. To stay positive and optimistic, you have to work hard at it, but it's easier when your life is more simple and contains as little stress and burden as possible. Remember that whatever you own in terms of property and assets, will also own you as well. If you became rich, you would worry everyday about losing all your "wealth". The best life is to have "just enough" not too little or too much.

I listen to many wise teachers and have learned these things from them. That's why I share them with everyone I know. Does it all make sense?

You also got to understand that just because you learned something or were taught something by your culture, doesn't mean it's true. Our culture deceives people and tricks them. It tells them that more work, more money, and buying more and more material things will make them happy. It teaches the philosophy that "more is better". But if you always believe that "more is better" then you can never have peace. You see how insane this mentality is?

When you investigate and look deeper, you find that most of what we are taught is false and an illusion. Deep down we all feel the truth, but most of us never face it. "

PS - I highly recommend the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It's a best seller in every major bookstore and goes in depth about how you can be happy and fulfilled now, in the present, rather than always looking for it in some future that never exists. You can download a PDF copy here: http://www.happierabroad.com/ThePowerofNow.pdf

It has been said, there is no future, just today happening over and over again.

Outwest
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is what my dad said about my letter above:
Dear Win,

Very true. Very insightful. That is what most people are, more money to buy bigger house, newer cars, newer computers, clothing with fashion designed, ... etc. I guess after they died, they would compare with other dead people at the midnight in the grave yard to see who have more money left on earth.

And, besides money, some are chasing fame. like people in Hollywood. They want more fans, bigger roles in TV or movies. It is okay for them. We don't really care. They don't hurt other people.

The most hateful and evil ones are those power hunger politicians and corp. CEO's. They are never satisfied. They are always think of how to cheat, lie in order to get more and more power and money. On their way up, they have to push others down. They don't know their own sufferings, but they also cause sufferings for others. If there is a god and there is a hell, the god should put these people in one big hell after they die and let them fight over to see who has better skill to get power. Let them fight with each other. That would be fun to watch. I hope Hollywood would come up a movie like that.

You are very wise to know these things. But, you still have to know your own thoughts and mind to see what is your most attached to. You have already gained the wisdom of not attaching to those material things. But, you are still attached to a big and hard to satisfy one. You want to gain attention from people, especially girls. You are not only wanting to have one good relationship, you want to have attention and relationship from as many as possible. You will never get enough and you will always have sufferings. Your thrilling experiences from Russia and Philippines would make most men admire. You have achieved what most men could not even dream about. You need to re-evaluate your goal of life. Even Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt have finally settled down. So, you should always observe the status of your mind and feelings to see if you are happy, if not, what is causing that. I don't think you are really happy, because I saw you were grouchy and moody very often.

These are my sincere advice. Love,
Dad
I'm not sure most people want fame though. Most people don't want their photos to be posted on the internet. They prefer to remain private and anonymous. So that tells me that most people aren't looking for fame.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
samurai_panda
Freshman Poster

Post by samurai_panda »

Most people don't want to attract too much attention to themselves. They don't want unwanted press to paint them in unfavorable light in the public.

People become REAL BRAVE when they log-on on the internet with their tough fake web personas. REAL GANGSTER HOMIES! E THUGGIN!

It takes a real courageous samurai of truth and wisdom to f**k up liars and frauds.