The rise of Far-Right groups in recent Europe elections

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

The rise of Far-Right groups in recent Europe elections

Post by zboy1 »

Golden Dawn Greek Ultra-nationalists celebrate parliamentary

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpGX4Tb ... re=related[/youtube]

Europe’s Extremists on the March

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ence_.html

Anger at austerity, immigration feeds far right's rise in Europe

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/world/eur ... index.html

France’s Turn for the Worse
On Sunday, France will elect a new president. But Europe’s far right has already won.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... tion_.html

Question? Will the recent electoral gains of several Far-Right groups in Europe, make the continent a less inviting place to live, travel, and date in the future? I want to know what people think about the situation. Personally, I can see the United States headed towards a similar situation in the near future. With the white population in the U.S. headed towards minority status by mid-century--will the white people in America react in a similar manner to Europeans?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I'm worried about the spreading influence of both fascism and communism throughout Europe. I hope the extreme left and extreme right don't end up turning Europe into some kind of political warzone between the two competing factions....
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

zboy,
I believe that the bad guys are trying very hard to get WW III started. They are saying so themselves. If that happens all bets are off. The UK is not a very nice place to visit already.

France is not a good place for US people to visit so much now. When french people think I am american or british they treat me poorly. It is hard to get fed in a restaurant until I make it clear I am Australian. I ALWAYS tell french people serving me I am Australian....I work it into the conversation early. It makes a HUGE difference.

Germany is good. Sweden is great to visit for the sites and culture, as is the west coast of Norway. Bergin on the norway west coast is magical.

Austria and switzerland are great to travel in as an english speaking person.

Once you get to Romania and places like that it gets harder due to less english but I loved Romania when I was there in 2004-5. They tell me it has become very westernised now and much more expensive.

So I think the far right is going to make life less pleasant for tourists and foreigners yes...but not too much so. I am much more concerned at a war breaking out ostensibly between "christians" and "muslims".....
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Politically I defend the right of folks from Switzerland to Uganda to Thailand be as xenophobic and nationalistic as they want to. It's their country, so it's their right.

But as men who are interested in international living, it is worrisome.

For example, take Latin America. I admire Hugo Chavez's talking back to George Bush. But no question his followers will make my life more difficult if I live there. Same thing with current rulers of Peru, Bolivia, Belarus, etc.

Generally White people from Northern Europe are the most open-minded in the world, or at least love to imagine that they are open-minded. Yet deliberate importation by elites of cheap, high-crime laborers and refugees from Turkey and Africa, into Northern Europe, will cause some violent reactions even there (e.g. that SOB in Norway). Still I think White Protestant countries of Northern Europe and elsewhere will continue to treat immigrants decently - but I would certainly expect the immigration window to close.

I can't imagine you having a problem if you are already there, with papers.

Greece and other Mediterranean cultures are more comfortable with xenophobia - as they have historic reason to be. I personally wouldn't choose to settle in one of those countries, if they are having economic turmoil, and if I look very different from them.

Haven't been to Europe myself, except England and Greece, so I will of course have to defer to those who have traveled more widely.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

PeterAndrewNolan wrote:zboy,
I believe that the bad guys are trying very hard to get WW III started. They are saying so themselves. If that happens all bets are off. The UK is not a very nice place to visit already.

France is not a good place for US people to visit so much now. When french people think I am american or british they treat me poorly. It is hard to get fed in a restaurant until I make it clear I am Australian. I ALWAYS tell french people serving me I am Australian....I work it into the conversation early. It makes a HUGE difference.

Germany is good. Sweden is great to visit for the sites and culture, as is the west coast of Norway. Bergin on the norway west coast is magical.

Austria and switzerland are great to travel in as an english speaking person.

Once you get to Romania and places like that it gets harder due to less english but I loved Romania when I was there in 2004-5. They tell me it has become very westernised now and much more expensive.

So I think the far right is going to make life less pleasant for tourists and foreigners yes...but not too much so. I am much more concerned at a war breaking out ostensibly between "christians" and "muslims".....
I agree with you about France and the U.K, Peter! Liked Scotland a lot, not so much with Ireland, though. I loved Holland because of its freedom and the hookers, although they are starting to crack down on foreigners, prostitution, and marijuana. Never got to visit Eastern Europe--but want to in the future. Germany was alright. Didn't like Belgium at all! They really don't like foreigners in that country!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

The eurozone may be breaking up. Recent elections have reflected primarily opposition to the euro bankers who have control. I would hardly call it a far right movement. Everything about Marine le Pen sounds leftish, except her opposition to immigration.

Yeah, there's turmoil over there, though I don't know if it has heated up the usual anti-Americanism any. The eurozone has been worse than we have about imposing austerity on the populace. Romney is talking like a cold warrior from 40 years ago, and if he gets elected anti-Americanism may spike a bit.

As far as dating over there goes, I see it as a more propitious moment than, say, 13 years ago when the US was in the middle of its dot.com bubble and young French girls were talking starry-eyed about pursuing the American dream of great personal wealth. That illusion has gone by the boards.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Jester wrote:Politically I defend the right of folks from Switzerland to Uganda to Thailand be as xenophobic and nationalistic as they want to. It's their country, so it's their right.

But as men who are interested in international living, it is worrisome.

For example, take Latin America. I admire Hugo Chavez's talking back to George Bush. But no question his followers will make my life more difficult if I live there. Same thing with current rulers of Peru, Bolivia, Belarus, etc.

Generally White people from Northern Europe are the most open-minded in the world, or at least love to imagine that they are open-minded. Yet deliberate importation by elites of cheap, high-crime laborers and refugees from Turkey and Africa, into Northern Europe, will cause some violent reactions even there (e.g. that SOB in Norway). Still I think White Protestant countries of Northern Europe and elsewhere will continue to treat immigrants decently - but I would certainly expect the immigration window to close.

I can't imagine you having a problem if you are already there, with papers.

Greece and other Mediterranean cultures are more comfortable with xenophobia - as they have historic reason to be. I personally wouldn't choose to settle in one of those countries, if they are having economic turmoil, and if I look very different from them.

Haven't been to Europe myself, except England and Greece, so I will of course have to defer to those who have traveled more widely.
Yeah, I agree with you Jester. I oppose illegal immigration no matter the country involved, and I'm even opposed to letting in too many legal immigrants in some Western countries! And a sovereign country has every right to be as xenophobic as they want to! My only concern is that these increasing anti-foreigner sentiments will make it tougher to date and find European women in the future. I also worry that traveling and sightseeing around Europe may become more dangerous to me-as I'm clearly a minority. Otherwise, I don't really have a problem with far-right political groups.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The rise of Far-Right groups in recent Europe elections

Post by Jester »

Understand and agree.

Looking at your original question:
zboy1 wrote: Question? Will the recent electoral gains of several Far-Right groups in Europe, make the continent a less inviting place to live, travel, and date in the future?
For me anyway I have determined that I have to distinguish between places I might want to date (Belarus, Peru, Moldova, Syria, South Africa, Kazakhstan, many many others...) from places I would settle down to live long-term and perhaps raise a family (Uruguay, Costa Rica, maybe the Philippines, and maybe just two or three others.)

Winston certainly did well in Eastern Europe. Only place I've heard of with anti-Far East roughnecks is... Mongolia.