Making Money Online and Generating Passive Income

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

While anyone will tell you that it is hard work to make money in your own business (even the deceptive Amway and its MLM copycats will tell you that), what they WON'T tell you is that the rate of growth is very slow, unless you are lucky enough to have outside forces helping you. Instead, these internet marketing gurus will paint a false picture - that when you start trying to earn money online, you work hard for one month and earn a few thousand dollars, and then it goes uphill from there. That's where they are deceiving you and painting a false picture of reality. But of course, they have a vested interest in retaining their followers and not letting them get discouraged; that's why they exaggerate the rate of growth of online income, rather than tell you the brutal truth about it. Therefore, where these gurus deceive you is in their false portrayal of the rate of growth in this type of venture, even if they admit that "you have to work hard to make money online".

In actuality though, the picture is not that rosy. When you start out, you will be earning virtually NOTHING the first few months, and when you do, it will start as a slow trickle. First you might earn 20 dollars a month, followed by 40, then 60, and so forth, more or less. That's the reality of how it usually works. It takes a lot of endurance to continue on at that point. Only those who really believe in what they are doing and persist will make something out of it.

I have a close friend who runs a highly successful medical diagnostic and information website. He is a genius computer programmer and expert online entrepreneur. He makes about $400 a day (but has made up to $800 a day during his best periods), or about $12,000 a month, from online medical diagnostic services and medical information pages that run Google Adsense. I've seen his earnings and extravagant spending habits. But he told me that when he first started, he was only making $40 a week! ($120 a month)
Last edited by Winston on January 11th, 2012, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a site I found where you can submit articles and then put your own Adsense ads on them which will pay you 75 percent of the earnings. It is on a high ranking site with high SEO which gives your articles more visibility.

http://www.infobarrel.com

Another site that does something similar but has been around longer.

http://www.hubpages.com

On this one, you can connect with advertisers who will pay you to blog about their product or service on your blog.

http://www.payperpost.com
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Maker55
Junior Poster

Post by Maker55 »

The BEST forum on the WEB about online marketing is http://www.warriorforum.com, they have all kinds of products that will help you. As you know, internet marketing is the future with the rise of online radio, online video, online television and digital music.

Things you need to be successful online:

1. Find a niche that is already proven to sale and you can promote other people's products as an affiliate or imitate someone.
2. Pick quality products to put on your website. Amazon has a good affiliate program as well as thousands of other websites.
3. Get FREE targeted search engine traffic by getting one way links from other websites to your website known as BACKLINKS.

If you want to be success, you MUST have substantial traffic to your traffic.

Read up on guys like Dan Kennedy and Scott Fox, they are both online entrepreneurs who have wrote great books on the subject.
Katrina24
Freshman Poster

Post by Katrina24 »

Hi, i have to sharing related this topic.One of the most effective ways to make online money is consulting business. Nowadays, this business is becoming very popular. In the process of this job you will be an agent to many types of reputed and well-known organizations. You should know there are lots of online industries who need the services of writer, article writer, website designer and so more. You can earn from here by offering your skill and knowledge to them.

make money online
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Interesting topic.

I've been running websites for years, but making a site that makes $$$$ is damned hard work! And 2011 was the year that it just became a lot harder for newcomers to make money online.

This year I'm going to switch tactics and see if I can just buy a money making site...

http://www.smartincomeinvestments.com/a ... -business/

I'll update my story once I actually take delivery of the site :D . I'm expecting a 300% return on my investment over 5 years, which seems better than leaving the money on deposit at 0.1% interest.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a helpful book for those wanting to make money online, by my friend Walt Goodridge, called "Websites that Sell".

Description:

There is an art and a science to designing a website that communicates your value, heightens your credibility, inspires consumer confidence and compels visitors to whip out their credit cards and order your product or service online! There are some things you should NEVER do, and other things you absolutely MUST if you want to make money online. Walt has been online since 1997 and has cracked the code! Now he shares his technique, sales copy writing methods, income strategies, best practices as well as his secret vendor list for turning YOUR passion to profit online venture from a simple web page into a Website That Sells! Features a special blogger chapter.

Paperback:
http://www.passionprofit.com/store/prod ... t=1&page=1

Ebook:
http://www.passionprofit.com/store/prod ... t=1&page=1

Amazon description:

Book Description
Publication Date: April 10, 2010
Walt F.J. Goodridge is living "nomadpreneur" lifestyle. Armed with a laptop, cell phone and digital camera, he travels the world while being sustained by income from his websites that sell. There is an art and a science to designing a website that communicates your value, heightens your credibility, inspires consumer confidence and compels visitors to whip out their credit cards and order your product or service online. There are some things you should NEVER do, and other things you absolutely MUST do if you want to make money online. Walt has been online since 1997, and has cracked that code! In his Turn Your Passion Into Profit "Websites That Sell" Manual, Walt shares the exact mindset, as well as the specific design process, sales copy writing technique, income strategies, promotion campaigns, business best practices, as well as a secret list of vendors he uses to earn thousands of dollars monthly. You can achieve similar results by using this convenient step-by-step, action checklist and manual and transform your online venture from a simple web page into a Website That Sells! This unique manual shows how to: Launch a website for next to nothing Create 7 different streams of income for any product Market effectively and profitably online Empower yourself to make money while living anywhere Become a "pro" blogger (special chapter by Angelo Villagomez) It also features Walt's own "Escape from America" story! So, whether you want to leave the rat race behind, run away to a tropical paradise, or simply use technology to create additional streams of income at home, this manual can help!
Editorial Reviews

About the Author
A Columbia University graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, Walt was, like many people, destined for a career in his profession of training. In fact, immediately after graduating, he accepted a job working in the Design Division of the Port Authority Engineering department on the 73rd floor of World Trade Center One. However, within the first fifteen minutes of this his first job in corporate America, Walt, frustrated by the monotony, restrictions of nine-to-five employment, realized beyond the shadow of a doubt, that he absolutely hated it! It was several years until he was able to grow his sideline business in the music industry--a personal passion--and walk away from his career to become a full-time "passionpreneur." He authored several books on the music industry, created a brand of inspiration called "Life Rhymes," and launched dozens of websites, and unique products. As he honed his experience and expertise in website development, internet marketing, creating the life of his dreams, and living true to himself, he developed a unique "Passion Profit Philosophy and Formula" and a coaching practice to help others do the same. In 1999, he published that formula in Turn Your Passion into Profit which, with yearly updates, has consistently sold in the top 50 in home-business books on Amazon.com. Walt currently owns and operates over 50 websites, has written a total of 15 books, over 400 articles and almost 500 motivational poems.

wineguy
Freshman Poster

Post by wineguy »

You're right Winston, it's not easy in practice. I sold my first internet site at the age of 21 for $10,000 and in hindsight it was the worst decision of my life as i feel i'll never have a better idea. I've tried many other sites since and the most profitable one makes about $30/month currently. Growing up in the heart of the silicon valley has shaped me in many ways. You either need an idea that has never been done before, or a markedly better version of something that already exists. And even then you have to market the shit out of it and gain a following, which will almost never happen quickly. Good luck to all!
"When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat." -George Carlin

"The world is a book, and those who don't travel read only a page." -St. Augustine

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -Muhammad Ali
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Being first to market counts for a lot online. Trying to launch an online dating site now is damned hard work. It would have been easier in 1999, or even 2005 (when Cupid Media, DateInAsia etc. started most of their sites).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

wineguy wrote:You're right Winston, it's not easy in practice. I sold my first internet site at the age of 21 for $10,000 and in hindsight it was the worst decision of my life as i feel i'll never have a better idea. I've tried many other sites since and the most profitable one makes about $30/month currently. Growing up in the heart of the silicon valley has shaped me in many ways. You either need an idea that has never been done before, or a markedly better version of something that already exists. And even then you have to market the shit out of it and gain a following, which will almost never happen quickly. Good luck to all!
Which site did you sell? How is it doing today? Can't you just duplicate it?

21? Wow you must be really bright. I didn't know anything at that age.

Yes, well, what made HA unique was that it was the first site that gave lots of GOOD REASONS for living and dating abroad that were deep and taboo in nature, which you aren't supposed to talk about openly. It was not the first international dating or expat site of course, but it was the only one that gave serious REASONS that were taboo to talk about it, and also elaborated on deep problems in America that were also taboo to talk about, even today. Other dating and expat sites didn't do that. They were just resource directories for people already living abroad. They didn't give deep reasons or describe taboo problems, and they still don't today. Instead, they stuck with political correctness and avoided taboos.

That's what made this site unique, and why it still is even today.

Also, when I started HA, I already had a fan base and mailing list that I had been sending updates to, which I had built up for four years. So by the time HA started, it already had a pre-existing fan base. So in a sense, this movement started even before HA, with that mailing list I was running for years.

Another important thing is that you have to have an idea, concept or solution that people care about and that matters to them. And you have to stick with it of course.
xiongmao wrote: Being first to market counts for a lot online. Trying to launch an online dating site now is damned hard work. It would have been easier in 1999, or even 2005 (when Cupid Media, DateInAsia etc. started most of their sites).
Yeah well remember this important thing. If your site is going to succeed, you MUST STICK WITH IT, through thick and thin. That's the one thing that every successful site has in common. If you quit, you will definitely fail. But if you persist and never give up, you will eventually make it one way or another - your subconscious mind, like a beaver, will eventually find a way to make it work.

Remember that quote by Thomas Edison: "Success is 1 percent genius and 99 percent persistence."

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, I'm sticking with my site as I have a unique selling point - I can build it myself. I have a lot of work to do with the user interface and with marketing. But the priority has been to make the underlying code and database slick and allow me to offer better matchmaking than any of the other sites, while keeping out the douchbags.

This is a long term thing like my previous software business. I built that in 2002 while I was out of work, but I didn't have my best sales year until 2008.

A lot of people have given up their internet money making careers this year. Staying in this game is getting ever more difficult.

I'm gonna enjoy challenging the other dating sites out there.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 23rd, 2013, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

In today's world it's getting impossible to make a passive on-line income enough to pay your bills. I'm noticing people aren't going through with ebay sales and no-one's buying from on-line shops (except if they are the cheapest). So the net is bringing down society to a race to the bottom ie, "being the cheapest."
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

polya wrote:In today's world it's getting impossible to make a passive on-line income enough to pay your bills. I'm noticing people aren't going through with ebay sales and no-one's buying from on-line shops (except if they are the cheapest). So the net is bringing down society to a race to the bottom ie, "being the cheapest."
True. People want cheap things on the internet and expect it, otherwise they could just go to a store to pay regular prices. Internet selling is tough. The only advantage is that you have little or no overhead.

But you don't have to make money online by selling stuff. What I do is draw lots of traffic here, which has built up over time through search engines, and then make money from advertising sponsorships, advertising click programs, and commission programs. So in a sense, I serve as the middle man. Since I'm good at getting traffic, I use that to my advantage.

Plus, I diversify my income here. I have about a dozen streams of online income, some are fixed and others are variable. They range from a little to a lot. So if you have small income streams, you can build more of them until they add up to a sizable amount.

Also, multiple income streams work like a mutual fund. If some go down one month, others go up to compensate and balance it out. This helps bring stability to my online income.