Why Americans don't travel more......

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Why Americans don't travel more......

Post by Truthville »

Found this today.

Be sure to read the comments after, some people make some very good points about American culture.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/04/am ... tml?hpt=C2

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

It's funny how the article glossed over the "people" aspect of traveling abroad. I could care less about the landscape, the mountains, and the waterways. The people I meet and learn about are the draw for me. Americans seem to be only interested in geographical characteristics of a destination.
Greetercb
Freshman Poster

Post by Greetercb »

As for me I just did not have the good enough fiances to travel anywhere. for
look at me I was going to travel to Russia back in Either 1996 or 1997 to search for a wife
there but I did not have the good enough Fiances to Travel there.

Also Please remember this fact That Moscow Russia is the Second most expensive City
for us Americans to Visit after Tokyo Japan.

Also it is too much Money to travel Abroad. :(
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Also it is too much Money to travel Abroad
What's up with your English writing?

Too much money? HUH? You are saying that buying a ticket for $800 and spending another thousand is TOO MUCH? When was the last time you checked out how much it costs to have a vacation in Hawaii? How many useless iPods or clothes did you buy last year? How many football tickets? How many times did you eat out? Oh, you are not educated. Well, guess what - you can drive a semi-truck for a living or work in construction. There is always a way out. I am an immigrant and I am making decent wages right now, I traveled to many countries after I moved to the US. So don't BS about "expensive"! It's not a million dollar house, if your life is a mess - it's your own problem.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:It's funny how the article glossed over the "people" aspect of traveling abroad. I could care less about the landscape, the mountains, and the waterways. The people I meet and learn about are the draw for me. Americans seem to be only interested in geographical characteristics of a destination.
That's because a lot of Americans are ethnocentric and when people travel they tend to cluster up in nationality/ethnicity groupings. So when people talk about traveling abroad what they really mean is they are going to go as a family/couple and spend all their time looking at the eiffell tower, architecture, and museums while interacting with the locals as little as they can.

People like this miss the point entirely. There's countless times i've spotted miserable looking middle aged western couples on the beaches of Thailand.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

have2fly wrote:
What's up with your English writing?

Too much money? HUH? You are saying that buying a ticket for $800 and spending another thousand is TOO MUCH? When was the last time you checked out how much it costs to have a vacation in Hawaii? How many useless iPods or clothes did you buy last year? How many football tickets? How many times did you eat out? Oh, you are not educated. Well, guess what - you can drive a semi-truck for a living or work in construction. There is always a way out. I am an immigrant and I am making decent wages right now, I traveled to many countries after I moved to the US. So don't BS about "expensive"! It's not a million dollar house, if your life is a mess - it's your own problem.
The same geographic qualities that enabled the USA to become diffcult to invade and easy to consolidate into a continental nation also isolate it from the rest of the world.

In Europe all one needs to do to visit another nation is to travel 200 miles by bus, auto, train or plane.

In the USA this won't get you across many individual states.

It is more apt to refer to traveling to another USA state as traveling to another country - for they are the united STATES of america. As in nation-state.

Many people no longer have much spare cash to buy clothes or other new toys. Travel is now far down the list as many in the Upper Middle Class are now in the Middle Class and many in the Middle Class are now Lower Class. I see this happening with friends and relatives and it is quite real.

A good portion of the USA is currently downwardly mobile one class distinction.

Now, the social class of Americans will more closely match their economic class.

" if your life is a mess - it's your own problem."

You are an immigrant but this sentence is pure Americanism.

'f**k you. I got mine, now you get yours.'
''Your situation is your fault.'

As though international monetary policy, regulatory capture of the legislative process by the financial sector and rampant fraud at all levels of society are somehow his fault and responsibility. If Congress wants to ship his job to Asia he should still earn the same amount of money, right?
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Traveling is not a economic barrier that some make it out to be.

Granted I traveled to Europe after my father's death because I was always buying cars. For some reason, I would have a car for 3-4 years and then something would happen, accident, repo, towed, whatever. Even had the DMV steal money from me.

So that $1,000 here and $300-400 car payments there, add up after awhile.

But when I did go to Europe I did it to find my wife which didn't work out so well as I have documented before.

I've been unemployed for a year now, but I am taking classes starting next week. I hope I can at least get some contract work by the fall and makes plans. In the meantime I've been to Mexico a few times.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

djfourmoney wrote:Traveling is not a economic barrier that some make it out to be.
It is if you went from a $50,000 a year job to $8 an hour 25 hours a week, something that is happening to millions of Americans.

If you can budget on that and have an apartment shared with the wife, a car, auto and health insurance, and travel abroad once year I would eagerly like to see your numbers.

Look, this is no longer an abstraction or a figure on the nightly news.

I know many many people in this situation. The Upper Middle Class are now Middle Class and everyone else is Lower Middle Class or Poor.

The Party is Over.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

globetrotter wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:Traveling is not a economic barrier that some make it out to be.
It is if you went from a $50,000 a year job to $8 an hour 25 hours a week, something that is happening to millions of Americans.

If you can budget on that and have an apartment shared with the wife, a car, auto and health insurance, and travel abroad once year I would eagerly like to see your numbers.

I know many many people in this situation. The Upper Middle Class are now Middle Class and everyone else is Lower Middle Class or Poor.

The Party is Over.
The economic reality of this won't set in for another decade i'd say. This is just the beginning really.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

globetrotter wrote:
have2fly wrote:
" if your life is a mess - it's your own problem."

You are an immigrant but this sentence is pure Americanism.

'f**k you. I got mine, now you get yours.'
''Your situation is your fault.'

As though international monetary policy, regulatory capture of the legislative process by the financial sector and rampant fraud at all levels of society are somehow his fault and responsibility. If Congress wants to ship his job to Asia he should still earn the same amount of money, right?
f***ing dead on. This is near the top of my list of what I HATE about America.

"I got mine. Get yours and f**k off."

That mentality is why this country is so alienating and alienated.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

globetrotter wrote:

The Party is Over.

Damn straight!
I was hired at a part time job 2 years ago making $10 and getting only 7 hours a week at times. They don't give a shit if you are married with three kids. Not their f***ing problem.
Not to mention they dishonored their word to give me 30 hours a week. This was done entirely by women BTW. Then two conspired to try and get me fired.

All of them are unhappy and either met the BITCH called KARMA or are driving to meet her soon.