Business to business marketing

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Business to business marketing

Post by Cornfed »

So I’m thinking of buying into a franchise that provides contracting services to primary and heavy industry. The idea is to take advantage of changes in regulations and technology to offer a new form of service in this particular niche. The only problem is that I will have to hustle my services to businesses in order to get them to use me rather than existing providers. Does anyone know whether there is a standard way of doing this? Cold calling? Brochures + website? Cold visiting? Set up seminars?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Business to business marketing

Post by Cornfed »

It would be a shame if no-one knows about this. This is the kind of non-loser stuff we should be talking about.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 9th, 2019, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Ghost wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 11:08 am
Before investing any money and time into, I'd check and see if there really is a niche to fill. If there are a lot of existing providers, how would you differentiate yourself in order to draw in clients? Is there a need for more B2B marketing than currently exists? And you'd want to make sure they aren't all doing business primarily via personal connections. Anyone could compete in cold calling or advertising or seminars or whatever, but if they are primarily doing business with friends of friends, I don't think there'd be a point in even trying.
There is a niche to fill because the legal and tech standards have changed. It is uncertain how many businesses will adopt the new standard and how quickly (technically they don't have to yet). There is nothing in principle to stop the service being provided by existing providers or in-house by the businesses themselves, but they would require upgrades in equipment and training. The hope is that I could get enough clients before they did that. (Also, there are reasons all but the largest businesses like to contract out these services). There is a need for more B2B marketing as the parent franchise people have stated that while they will provide me with work, it is not enough to be sustainable. As to the friend of a friend thing, I doubt that in this particular case, but I wonder how you would even assess that. That is the trouble. How do you research stuff like that?
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

I'd be suspicious of actually investing money in the business. Lots of legitimate opportunities for salespeople on commission only, such as real estate agents. Those salespeople may have to invest money in themselves (training to get a real estate license, clothing, automobile expenses, etc), plus invest time, before making sales.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Shemp wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:27 am
I'd be suspicious of actually investing money in the business. Lots of legitimate opportunities for salespeople on commission only, such as real estate agents. Those salespeople may have to invest money in themselves (training to get a real estate license, clothing, automobile expenses, etc), plus invest time, before making sales.
Yeah but those markets are oversaturated, at least here. They are really for people with contacts in particular markets.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Shemp wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:27 am
Yeah but those markets are oversaturated, at least here. They are really for people with contacts in particular markets.
In any case, I hate sales. Once I have enough clients, this job would probably be more enjoyable and like a couple of my previous jobs would involve throwing my weight around sometimes, which is always fun.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Sales is exactly what the business sounds like: "...I will have to hustle my services to businesses..." And don't think you can do sales initially then relax. You have to continue selling just to retain existing customers. Once a sales position, always a sales position.

Weren't you thinking at one point of becoming a guard in a prison with mostly black inmates? If you like throwing your weight around, that sounds perfect for you.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Shemp wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 10:42 pm
And don't think you can do sales initially then relax. You have to continue selling just to retain existing customers. Once a sales position, always a sales position.
The thing is that I wouldn't have to corner the market. Just a small percentage of potential customers would be good, and I'd have some of them fed to me by the parent company, but food for thought. Yeah, in the best of worlds some time and money would have to be put into sales on an ongoing basis.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Shemp wrote:
Weren't you thinking at one point of becoming a guard in a prison with mostly black inmates? If you like throwing your weight around, that sounds perfect for you.
Probably a good IQ match for someone like him but overall not a good idea. Guards like that get dealt with harshly. He would get his wig split and bled out for sure.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 1:17 am
Shemp wrote:
Probably a good IQ match for someone like him but overall not a good idea. Guards like that get dealt with harshly. He would get his wig split and bled out for sure.

Yeah, a misjudgement on your part this. You are genaralising on people trying to make a living. I don't think you will get the approval you are thinking of.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 4:52 am
Yeah, a misjudgement on your part this. You are genaralising on people trying to make a living. I don't think you will get the approval you are thinking of.
Dude, if you are still struggling to figure out how to eke out a living at your age, you’re in a huge heap of trouble. I know teenagers who are more clever and industrious than you.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

June 14th, 2019, 5:05 am
Cornfed wrote:
Dude, if you are still struggling to figure out how to eke out a living at your age, you’re in a huge heap of trouble.
Yeah figuring out how to do actual useful productive work just in order to have most of the proceeds siphoned off to sustain pavement apes like you is fairly stupid. But the thing is that trying to be useful is just a white man’s thing, the white man’s burden if you will, and it is better than just moping around the house drinking beer, or is it?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:44 pm
June 14th, 2019, 5:05 am
Cornfed wrote:
Dude, if you are still struggling to figure out how to eke out a living at your age, you’re in a huge heap of trouble.
Yeah figuring out how to do actual useful productive work just in order to have most of the proceeds siphoned off to sustain pavement apes like you is fairly stupid. But the thing is that trying to be useful is just a white man’s thing, the white man’s burden if you will, and it is better than just moping around the house drinking beer, or is it?
Dude, you’ve screwed up your physical health, your mental health, your employability, and consequently your entire life. If you’re moping around the house swilling beer and angry at blacks who run circles of success around you, you should never bring up the issue of the white man’s burden of productivity because it tends to highlight just how much of a personal failure you are. And thanks for admitting that you’re an alcohol abuser too. I figured there had to be some measure of substance abuse in that loser head of
yours.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

June 14th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Dude, you’ve screwed up your physical health, your mental health, your employability, and consequently your entire life. If you’re moping around the house swilling beer and angry at blacks who run circles of success around you, you should never bring up the issue of the white man’s burden of productivity because it tends to highlight just how much of a personal failure you are. And thanks for admitting that you’re an alcohol abuser too. I figured there had to be some measure of substance abuse in that loser head of
yours.
This is the kind of thing people should bear in mind before being charitable to lesser races. No matter how much they are given they'll still be ingrates.