Are these the new work hours?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Are these the new work hours?

Post by Cornfed »

It seems that the female-run businesses operating in the same building as my apartment don’t follow a Monday to Friday 9-5 schedule. (Because they are female-run, I assume that they are running at a loss and being secretly propped up by the government or their husbands, but maybe in this boutiquey town there is a genuine market for their crap). The odd thing is that they and seemingly other female run businesses seem to run on a Tuesday to Saturday 1pm schedule. Is this the new normal, or will it become so?
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Re: Are these the new work hours?

Post by Johnny1975 »

Cornfed wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 8:00 pm
don’t follow a Monday to Friday 9-5 schedule. (Because they are female-run
22 days on, 6 days off.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

What kind of businesses? Maybe it is only a part time kind of career, like Irish Dance classes, martial arts, or aerobics.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Neo wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:35 pm
What kind of businesses?
A massage and beauty place and a vegetarian cafe.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Cornfed wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 7:50 pm
Neo wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:35 pm
What kind of businesses?
A massage and beauty place and a vegetarian cafe.
Just make an appointment or walk in during business hours. Breakfast and lunch only?
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Well that's weird. It was really horrible and rainy today so everyone left shortly after lunchtime. How do these female businesses make any money, or do they even?
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Cornfed wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Well that's weird. It was really horrible and rainy today so everyone left shortly after lunchtime. How do these female businesses make any money, or do they even?
There is a specific term for it. It's called a "wife shop." Basically, a rich husband who either works a successful job or has other profitable businesses might allow his wife to make a shop selling antiques or boutique stuff, or just in general run a business that isn't that profitable. He's OK with this as it gives his wife something to do so she's not home idle all day with no kids or housework to do obviously, and makes her feel special. He can also write said business off on his taxes at a loss, thus possibly not paying taxes on his other more successful businesses.

As far as government funding, well, there is official non-secret black money funding. The small business administrations have specific women's bureaus to give specifically women funding. More grants and stuff for women as well.

One thing women also have as an advantage in business is basically "girly" businesses can have a lot higher profit margins, as generally they're not providing "hard" goods or services like a male business. Take a wedding planner, for example. One woman can just call and coordinate stuff by herself and make say, $5-10k per wedding. It's not a field a male can go into really. For a man to make 5-10k he needs to do hard physical labor or pay others to do it and skim it off. I'm certainly not going to say a wedding planner is necessarily always easy, but I'd bet it's easier to make 5-10k wedding planning than doing a roof on a house. There's also sort of vague weird fields like interior designers, etc, that men are sort of shut out of as well. Even a hair salon could have big profit margins, figure the average female haircut is $80-100 and takes an hour, that is the same profitability as a car repair shop, but with "ingredients" being a lot cheaper than car parts, and no hazmat fees, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

It seems the cafe has closed. Presumably whoever was funding it got tired of it. The beauty place is still open and I imagine it is actually a viable business on account of females in general being given way too much money.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

onethousandknives wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 11:21 pm
Cornfed wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:29 pm
There is a specific term for it. It's called a "wife shop." Basically, a rich husband who either works a successful job or has other profitable businesses might allow his wife to make a shop selling antiques or boutique stuff, or just in general run a business that isn't that profitable. He's OK with this as it gives his wife something to do so she's not home idle all day with no kids or housework to do obviously, and makes her feel special. He can also write said business off on his taxes at a loss, thus possibly not paying taxes on his other more successful businesses.

As far as government funding, well, there is official non-secret black money funding. The small business administrations have specific women's bureaus to give specifically women funding. More grants and stuff for women as well.

One thing women also have as an advantage in business is basically "girly" businesses can have a lot higher profit margins, as generally they're not providing "hard" goods or services like a male business. Take a wedding planner, for example. One woman can just call and coordinate stuff by herself and make say, $5-10k per wedding. It's not a field a male can go into really. For a man to make 5-10k he needs to do hard physical labor or pay others to do it and skim it off. I'm certainly not going to say a wedding planner is necessarily always easy, but I'd bet it's easier to make 5-10k wedding planning than doing a roof on a house. There's also sort of vague weird fields like interior designers, etc, that men are sort of shut out of as well. Even a hair salon could have big profit margins, figure the average female haircut is $80-100 and takes an hour, that is the same profitability as a car repair shop, but with "ingredients" being a lot cheaper than car parts, and no hazmat fees, etc.
Pretty much my plan with my wife. She wants to run an ice cream shop and with my income it doesn't matter if it is successful so long as it breaks even
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:34 pm
Pretty much my plan with my wife. She wants to run an ice cream shop and with my income it doesn't matter if it is successful so long as it breaks even
Seems like a waste of a job that could go to a man feeding his family.