What's the voltage in Kiev compared to the US?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
newcarter32
Freshman Poster

What's the voltage in Kiev compared to the US?

Post by newcarter32 »

I’m already preparing for my trip to Kiev. I will only be there for a week. I’m just accompanying my cousin who’s joining a dating tour being held there. Now, I was wondering if the country had the same electric voltage as the US. Here, the local standard voltage is 110V. Is it the same in there? Do I need to get a converter or something before I can plug anything?

I wanted to make sure that I had all the things that I needed before flying to another continent. I’ll be there for a week so I would need to charge my phone and laptop, use the shaver, those kind of things without blowing anything up.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What's the voltage in Kiev compared to the US?

Post by ladislav »

220V round Euro outlets/holes. With a depth of one inch.

https://ukraine-kiev-tour.com/ukraine_s ... twork.html

Get a multi country adapter/ universal adapter.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/50pcs-un ... 10602.html
Last edited by ladislav on February 18th, 2018, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

You need a converter. Ukraine will work on the Europe setting. I got one in Best Buy for about $20, Walmart probably has something cheaper.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Yeah, he'll need a step down converter, too. As well as a good extension cord/power strip.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

gsjackson wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 11:42 am
You need a converter. Ukraine will work on the Europe setting. I got one in Best Buy for about $20, Walmart probably has something cheaper.
The voltage in Ukraine is, I believe, 220 volts. Most, but not all, modern electronics works just fine. I bought a couple of specific adapters (not universal) for plugging American plugs into Ukrainian and most European outlets for about $5/each at Fry's last summer. One 2 prong and one 3 prong (grounded). I suggest taking an American extension cord with you as well, outlets in many Ukrainian hotels are minimal and sometimes in awkward locations. Do not take a surge protector, it will not end well.