The Decline Of America Since The 1950s

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

America has been decaying rapidly since the 1950s with almost every aspect of society failing—and things are only about to get even worse.

http://www.returnofkings.com/75440/38-p ... -the-1950s
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Decline Of America Since The 1950s

Post by fschmidt »

While the 1950s were certainly better than now, this time period is overrated. The trajectory of increasing degeneracy was already established and documented in detail by Carle Zimmerman in "Family and Civilization" (1947) and "Marriage and the Family" (1956). In these books he looked at the increasing divorce rate and predicted that American culture would disintegrate by the end of the century.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

My father's recollection -- and he was born in 1913 -- was that the '20s were when the culture underwent the most change in the direction of what we think of as decadence. As far as the break-up of the family, no-fault divorce laws beginning circa 1970 sped along the process. The arrival of birth control pills a decade earlier had removed a lot of inhibitions, as had the recreational drug culture that expanded exponentially in the late '60s.

But, spot-on predictions in 1947 and 1956. I remember 1956 (though I was in England), and things were very, very, palpably different.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This hasn't been talked about much. But did you all know that before feminism in the 60's, American families were already breaking apart in the 1950's. Do you know why? Because in the 1950's the concept of the rebellious teenager got invented in American culture. Suddenly the youth of America were told that they had to go through this rebellious stage that was natural to teenage life where they rebelled against their parents and authority. That's why movies like "Rebel Without A Cause" starring James Dean suddenly came out of nowhere.

Did you know that before the 1950's there was no teenage subculture that tried to separate teens from children and adults? That was socially engineered in the 50's. Before that, teens were just kids who became adults when they had responsibilities. They didn't have to go through this "rebellious stage" where they defy their parents and their society as a "stage" they have to go through. We all assume that rebellious teens are natural and normal, and part of the growing up process, but they are not. God and nature never made teens that way, American culture did. This was very interesting when I heard about it, and makes sense. I didn't know about it before. Too bad it's not talked about much.

Here Joseph Atwill talks about how the counter culture was a creation of the CIA as a psyop. It's very interesting and makes sense. He cites the 50's as a time when the concept of the "rebellious teenager" and teenage subculture was invented as a way to divide families and decay American society.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

In this 1958 interview with Swiss psychologist Eric Fromm by Mike Wallace, Fromm talks about how American society is becoming disconnected and too focused on consumerism rather than friends and family, and how emotions are less and less authentic in America. Wow. I guess that was even true in the late 1950's too, not just today, though today it's worse of course.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

The standard of living has collapsed since the 50's and 60's. Wages have been stagnant in America since 1973. It used to be one income could support an entire family, now both husband and wife have to work full time in order to support a family.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

The 1950s was the last time relations between men and women were relatively stable. The American birth rate was 4 children per woman. Women were interested in making babies. Today women are not interested in making babies.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yes, teenage angst and rebellion was in large part a Hollywood (i.e., Yiddish) production. But it was also a product of the nihilism that was injected into the culture after WWII with all the returning vets who had seen the skull beneath the skin of life. You had, for example, some returning vets forming the Hell's Angels in California in the late '40s. This nihilism was a very real phenomenon that you can find in commentary about the aftermath in the U.S. of both WWI and WWII.

It was something my father had to deal with after returning from the Pacific. His mother said he just lay around for weeks and wouldn't talk about the war at all. Apparently his main source of trauma was the torture inflicted on captured Japanese by Philippinos when the islands were retaken by the U.S.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

gsjackson wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 1:58 pm
Yes, teenage angst and rebellion was in large part a Hollywood (i.e., Yiddish) production. But it was also a product of the nihilism that was injected into the culture after WWII with all the returning vets who had seen the skull beneath the skin of life. You had, for example, some returning vets forming the Hell's Angels in California in the late '40s. This nihilism was a very real phenomenon that you can find in commentary about the aftermath in the U.S. of both WWI and WWII.

It was something my father had to deal with after returning from the Pacific. His mother said he just lay around for weeks and wouldn't talk about the war at all. Apparently his main source of trauma was the torture inflicted on captured Japanese by Philippinos when the islands were retaken by the U.S
Relatives on both sides of my family were in the Philippines for WWII.
I dont doubt that captured Japanese were tortured. I suspect that most were killed outright. Payback is a bitche, right? The Japanese committed rape and murder on an industrial scale in the Philippines and by the end of the war, Filipinos were kinda pissed. To participate in the activities of the Japanese army in the Philippines was to enter the gates of damnation. Judgement sucks, right?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

OutWest wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 3:21 pm
gsjackson wrote:

It was something my father had to deal with after returning from the Pacific. His mother said he just lay around for weeks and wouldn't talk about the war at all. Apparently his main source of trauma was the torture inflicted on captured Japanese by Philippinos when the islands were retaken by the U.S
I dont doubt that captured Japanese were tortured. I suspect that most were killed outright. Payback is a bitche, right? The Japanese committed rape and murder on an industrial scale in the Philippines and by the end of the war, Filipinos were kinda pissed. To participate in the activities of the Japanese army in the Philippines was to enter the gates of damnation. Judgement sucks, right?
Yeah, and I'm wondering if the Philippinos learned that kind of cruelty from us during the Spanish-American war, when we apparently broke new ground in gratuitous brutality.

I've got no brief for the culture of militaristic barbarity that Japan developed during the first half of the 20th century. Bad, bad actors. Read The Rape of Nanking.

A book I'd really recommend is The General v the President, about the conflict between MacArthur and Truman over Korea. But the part that most interested me wasn't about Korea, but rather MacArthur's governance of Japan from 1945 to 1950. Whatever you want to say about him, he was a man who structured his life around principles, and among the principles he had internalized were those of the American democracy in its ideal form. He implemented those principles in Japan by fiat, and rebuilt that country from the ground up. He's revered there.

My father had a nuanced view of him, but I think ultimately a huge amount of respect. He wanted to name me Douglas, but my mother insisted I be a junior. Never thought to ask him if it was to have been in honor of Mac.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

gsjackson wrote:

It was something my father had to deal with after returning from the Pacific. His mother said he just lay around for weeks and wouldn't talk about the war at all. Apparently his main source of trauma was the torture inflicted on captured Japanese by Philippinos when the islands were retaken by the U.S.
That's interesting. But how do you convince normal teenagers to feel angst and dissatisfaction and want to rebel, when they didn't feel that before? Simply coming out with movies about teenage rebellion isn't going to do it. Because people know that movies aren't real life. Just like Star Wars does not make people act like the characters either. They had to do a lot more than that right? Like making schools oppressive and prison like. I certainly felt like a prisoner in a ward in public school. It was way too oppressive.

So before the 1950s teenagers and adults and teachers usually got along fine without conflict? If so then wow that's amazing.

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

gsjackson wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 4:07 pm
OutWest wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 3:21 pm
gsjackson wrote:

Yeah, and I'm wondering if the Philippinos learned that kind of cruelty from us during the Spanish-American war, when we apparently broke new ground in gratuitous brutality.

I've got no brief for the culture of militaristic barbarity that Japan developed during the first half of the 20th century. Bad, bad actors. Read The Rape of Nanking.

A book I'd really recommend is The General v the President, about the conflict between MacArthur and Truman over Korea. But the part that most interested me wasn't about Korea, but rather MacArthur's governance of Japan from 1945 to 1950. Whatever you want to say about him, he was a man who structured his life around principles, and among the principles he had internalized were those of the American democracy in its ideal form. He implemented those principles in Japan by fiat, and rebuilt that country from the ground up. He's revered there.

My father had a nuanced view of him, but I think ultimately a huge amount of respect. He wanted to name me Douglas, but my mother insisted I be a junior. Never thought to ask him if it was to have been in honor of Mac.
Im afraid no new ground was broken in terms of cruelty during the Philippine- American conflict. By the way, Pershing was similar to MacArther in that he implemented most of the civic structure in the Philippines, public works, public education and many others. In war he was especially brutal towards the Moro, many of whom admire him to this day. MacArther has a long history in the Philippines. His father was an American governor of the Philippines, so MacArther spent a lot of time there. Though married, he kept a Filipina mistress much of his life. Her name was Pinky,
Just in the Battle of Manila, the Japanese went on a revenge attack against Filipino civilians and killed about 100,000 filipinos in a few days. Japanese slaughter of civilians may number about 1,000,000, though numbers are hard to establish. A number of Japanese generals were captured and turned over in some cases to courts in the Philippines. Most of them ended up on the gallows.
TheLight954
Freshman Poster

Post by TheLight954 »

America's real decay started at around 1971, as karma against the Vietnam War that will lead to long-term spiritual decline. Before 1971 people were mostly gaining rights.

1971 marked several turning points.
1.Abolition of gold standard
2.Higher income inequality from now on. Nearly zero real wage growth for workers.
3.The increasing fakeness of society (before that people were down to earth)
4.The flat-line of poverty rates after declining for a long time
5.The beginning of the rise of China
6.The decay of politics - people look to score political points now rather than to solve any problems
7.The beginning of the era where debt doubles EVERY decade. This is clearly unsustainable.
8.The decline of traditional moral values

We're 47 years into the decline, and I think that America will start to seriously collapse by 60. I think it will be most likely caused economically, but social unrest and lack of morals will add fuel to the fire.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am
This hasn't been talked about much. But did you all know that before feminism in the 60's, American families were already breaking apart in the 1950's. Do you know why? Because in the 1950's the concept of the rebellious teenager got invented in American culture. Suddenly the youth of America were told that they had to go through this rebellious stage that was natural to teenage life where they rebelled against their parents and authority. That's why movies like "Rebel Without A Cause" starring James Dean suddenly came out of nowhere.

Did you know that before the 1950's there was no teenage subculture that tried to separate teens from children and adults? That was socially engineered in the 50's. Before that, teens were just kids who became adults when they had responsibilities. They didn't have to go through this "rebellious stage" where they defy their parents and their society as a "stage" they have to go through. We all assume that rebellious teens are natural and normal, and part of the growing up process, but they are not. God and nature never made teens that way, American culture did. This was very interesting when I heard about it, and makes sense. I didn't know about it before. Too bad it's not talked about much.
In Indonesia, there does not seem to be an idea that teens have to go through a rebellious stage. I think they do go through stages as they grow up, but they can do that without being rebellious.

Two of my children are. Neither one of them are defiant toward their parents. The younger one is 13, and she saw a little kid say, "no' to his mother, and it kind of shocked her. How could a kid do such a thing?

That's one thing we did not tolerate even when my children were toddlers, either me or my wife. 'No' was not an acceptable answer if we told them to do something.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
January 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am

In Indonesia, there does not seem to be an idea that teens have to go through a rebellious stage. I think they do go through stages as they grow up, but they can do that without being rebellious.

Two of my children are. Neither one of them are defiant toward their parents. The younger one is 13, and she saw a little kid say, "no' to his mother, and it kind of shocked her. How could a kid do such a thing?

That's one thing we did not tolerate even when my children were toddlers, either me or my wife. 'No' was not an acceptable answer if we told them to do something.