New member from California; planning take the BIG LEAP!

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I prefer traveling solo as well. Not cause I don't like company. I do. But when you travel in a group or with a partner, you can't do what you want cause you gotta get agreement on everything you do and everywhere you go.

Plus, I tend to do things at a different pace and rhythm than others. For example, when I want to go slow, they want to go fast, and when I want to go fast, they want to go slow. This has happened with many. Many do not stop and smell the roses or savor every new thing around them like I do.

As to freelance work online, check out this new site hiring freelancers:

http://www.demandstudios.com/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jason
Freshman Poster

Post by Jason »

Hey guys,
Sorry, been bogged down with said job! Been keeping me busy here.

But YES, i am interested in learning more about how you can make money on the internet, freelancing, etc. I will send off some PMs as requested. I'm curious if there's more ideas than the "create a bunch of niche blogs" method. I have read about that... and although its technically possible for it to work... i just dont like the idea of creating a bunch of (essentially bullshit) websites for people to click on. When I'm looking for info, I HATE those kinda sites! They are already clogging up the internet, and making it more difficult for people to find what they really want. So I don't want to be a purveyor of those. But I KNOW there has to be other methods. I used to be a graphic designer, and have considering getting into web design. But its a VERY saturated market, and a lot of people are doing it for pretty cheap (esp internationally).

And yes, i agree with you Winston on solo travel. I like company too, but like the freedom that being alone provides. I hate being rushed! And I also hate meaningless group social interaction. Love hanging with cool people. But hate hanging with a bunch of people I don't vibe with.
---
Jason Green
Soma Images
http://somaimages.com
+1 408.508.9218
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I'm with Winston on the solo travel. I DO love traveling with some of my good friends, but most of the time, if I want to skip a day and just hang in my hotel, or stay a couple of extra days in a place, I want to be free to do that.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Jason wrote:Hey guys,
Sorry, been bogged down with said job! Been keeping me busy here.

But YES, i am interested in learning more about how you can make money on the internet, freelancing, etc. I will send off some PMs as requested. I'm curious if there's more ideas than the "create a bunch of niche blogs" method. I have read about that... and although its technically possible for it to work... i just dont like the idea of creating a bunch of (essentially bullshit) websites for people to click on. When I'm looking for info, I HATE those kinda sites! They are already clogging up the internet, and making it more difficult for people to find what they really want. So I don't want to be a purveyor of those. But I KNOW there has to be other methods. I used to be a graphic designer, and have considering getting into web design. But its a VERY saturated market, and a lot of people are doing it for pretty cheap (esp internationally).

And yes, i agree with you Winston on solo travel. I like company too, but like the freedom that being alone provides. I hate being rushed! And I also hate meaningless group social interaction. Love hanging with cool people. But hate hanging with a bunch of people I don't vibe with.

If you have tech skills, you can check freelancer web sites for gigs. Or, you can look into international & traveling positions, so you won't have to stay in the office. I got a gig doing support/field work for industrial manufacturing and resource extraction industry. Last week I was sent to North Vancouver, and today I just arrived in Fort McMurray in Alberta. In 2 weeks I'll be flying to Shenzhen, with a quick stop-by in Taipei to visit parents. Funny thing about northern parts of Canada is that people here think global warming is a good thing (for them), it means longer growing seasons, shipping through northwest passage, easier/cheaper mineral extraction, and so on.

For those who are unfamiliar, Fort McMurray is smack in the middle of the Athabasca oil sands. This town is in the middle of nowhere, but because of the mineral and petrol extraction industry, it's a boom town with lots of petro dollars and million dollar homes. I think houses here are even more expensive than Vancouver!!! Wish I was in Edmonton, food there is better than "The Mac" (Fort McMurray).

p.s. anyone who wants to get into traveling field tech work needs to live near a major airline hub, like LAX in Los Angeles. It means that your boss only has to pay $700 for your round trip to Alberta, instead of $2,000 flying from a small town in Ohio. Oh and watch out for bed bugs at hotels!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Hi Jason,

It's completely understandable that you want to leave the USA--I did and I never looked back! All I care about is Europe and Asia.

An easier way to get started overseas may be to just get a regular job overseas in the country you're interested in. This way, your employer will most likely help you with the neccesary paperwork and may even help you find a place to live. If you do everything freelance, you'd be totally on your own. I suppose you could pay people to help you with the paperwork, but that might get frustrating and annoying at first and might be a rip off.

There are computer jobs everywhere from Eastern Europe to India. Just look for available positions online. For example, here are a few current computer job openings in Hungary:
http://jobs.com/hungary_computer-softwa ... 60203?pg=2

You can search for jobs in many countries on jobs.com.

If you have at least a master's degree in computer science, you could also look for academic/research/visiting lecturer positions in foreign universities. Here's one in Hungary:
http://www.scholarshipnet.info/postgrad ... -debrecen/

Again, you can search for positions in many other countries as well on that website.

Anyway, I've got to get back to packing because I'm going on a tour of Transylvania.

Good luck with your plans to relocate overseas!