Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?

Post by djfourmoney »

Ghost wrote:
Jonny Law wrote:Dear Sir Winston,

Your movement is filled with many whose only ability in life is to make excuses.

In general those who are unable to leave and go abroad are:
1. Too stupid
2. Too poor
3. Too weak

Each time I go to the Philippines it costs me about $3,000 give or take:
1. $1,000 Airfare
2. $1,000 Spending money
3. $1,000 Accommodations

For many on this forum $3,000 might as well be $3 Million dollars.
When you aren't allowed a foothold in your own country, $3000 is kind of a lot of money. Hell, I'm living in China and have a full time job and two part time jobs and $3000 is still a ton of money. It would be a ton of money even if I had a "career" job in the U.S. So f**k off.

How long are you staying in Phils for $3000? Unless that's a three month stay, it's stupid. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to do it.

Thanks and enjoy. :)
Is though?

Between April and August of this year, I was clearing $2,500-$2,800 a month with a service sector job.

The only people with the no job excuse live in very remote parts of the country.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Ghost wrote:
MarcosZeitola wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:Actually, I wrote that wrong, since I, personally, have met very few. What I meant was that, looking at the information available on websites, blogs, articles, documentary films, and so on, about African immigrants throughout the world, the numbers are strikingly large.

While you are correct about the large numbers who resort to crime etc., There are still a considerable amount working in construction, cleaning toilets and doing other menial labour to support a life outside their home country.
Bottom line: they got out. They wanted out, and they got off their asses and risked life and limb to get where they are now. If some poor, starving Africans can do it, that means just about everybody else can too. To physically go from A to B without much of a plan, isn't hard to pull off. The hard part is what comes next. But nobody unattached, single and unemployed who hates where he's at and has a healthy pair of legs has any excuses not to pack his bags and go.
It seems to me that you are looking only at the successes while ignoring the failures, in the case of desperate third worlders.

A typical first world guy probably won't have lethal failures like third world guys would have to risk. But without proper planning and preparation, his failure could all but end his life back home. There is a balance to it.

Why you focusing on those who failed? You first have to understand how and why they failed. Some attach themselves to organized crime which almost always turns out badly, of the ones that make it.

The truth is many people don't want jobs as a cook, dish washer, maid, janitor, etc. Even I don't want those jobs, but I figured out other ways to make money, always have. I've spend a good part of the last twenty years employed, but in my 20's, I spent a good chunk of that unemployed officially. I made money as a DJ and still do on occasion. I didn't have to make the investment, my parents did, the benefits of being middle class.

The worse thing that can happen to you on the train coming up from Central America is getting thrown off it, but not everybody that is thrown off the train for refusing to give in to the banditos dies from his injuries or falls into a deep ravine.... The majority make it, ask anybody that's actually made the trip. The next step is having enough water to cross the desert, those that prepare tend to make it, those that don't or have a health issue tend not too.

Americans are full of excuses. There are plenty of stories of people hitching rides on freight trains. You could sell all your sh*t for a bus ticket or plane ticket, again are you willing to do it?

Most aren't so they stay right where they are.

I am one step closer to completing my goals for this year and the end goal was to be on a plane to Brazil. I could have bought a ticket this week but the restrictions on it, don't fit my time frame for going.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Ghost wrote:
MarcosZeitola wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:Actually, I wrote that wrong, since I, personally, have met very few. What I meant was that, looking at the information available on websites, blogs, articles, documentary films, and so on, about African immigrants throughout the world, the numbers are strikingly large.

While you are correct about the large numbers who resort to crime etc., There are still a considerable amount working in construction, cleaning toilets and doing other menial labour to support a life outside their home country.
Bottom line: they got out. They wanted out, and they got off their asses and risked life and limb to get where they are now. If some poor, starving Africans can do it, that means just about everybody else can too. To physically go from A to B without much of a plan, isn't hard to pull off. The hard part is what comes next. But nobody unattached, single and unemployed who hates where he's at and has a healthy pair of legs has any excuses not to pack his bags and go.
It seems to me that you are looking only at the successes while ignoring the failures, in the case of desperate third worlders.

A typical first world guy probably won't have lethal failures like third world guys would have to risk. But without proper planning and preparation, his failure could all but end his life back home. There is a balance to it.

Why you focusing on those who failed? You first have to understand how and why they failed. Some attach themselves to organized crime which almost always turns out badly, of the ones that make it.

The truth is many people don't want jobs as a cook, dish washer, maid, janitor, etc. Even I don't want those jobs, but I figured out other ways to make money, always have. I've spend a good part of the last twenty years employed, but in my 20's, I spent a good chunk of that unemployed officially. I made money as a DJ and still do on occasion. I didn't have to make the investment, my parents did, the benefits of being middle class.

The worse thing that can happen to you on the train coming up from Central America is getting thrown off it, but not everybody that is thrown off the train for refusing to give in to the banditos dies from his injuries or falls into a deep ravine.... The majority make it, ask anybody that's actually made the trip. The next step is having enough water to cross the desert, those that prepare tend to make it, those that don't or have a health issue tend not too.

Americans are full of excuses. There are plenty of stories of people hitching rides on freight trains. You could sell all your sh*t for a bus ticket or plane ticket, again are you willing to do it?

Most aren't so they stay right where they are.

I am one step closer to completing my goals for this year and the end goal was to be on a plane to Brazil. I could have bought a ticket this week but the restrictions on it, don't fit my time frame for going.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linkoln
Freshman Poster

Post by Linkoln »

People are afraid of change. Many can travel only if they know that they have there is a house, a job. Especially if these people have children. I would not venture to go abroad with his family without being sure that I will have the means to provide for his family with everything you need.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Traveling is the easy part . I mean you can get vacation time or work a season job and travel afterwards but moving permanently overseas is a different story.
The biggest problem moving permanently overseas is partly economics and security.

If your single and independently wealthy than you can make the move but if your working it be harder to make a move unless there is some better job or something overseas.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

It is all about preparation, when I decided to leave my home shores to go abroad, I went to university and took a degree in Linguistics and TEFL and have been living abroad ever since.

I understand that in the states, that isn't such an easy thing to do nor is it affordable, though if you can put in a long term plan to get a degree via community college then that is what I would do if I was American.

If you don't fancy that, then check out the many language courses that are overseas, to learn Chinese at a Chinese university is something like 2000 dollars and they quote something like 7000 dollars in total for living expenses, food, books - if you have a year abroad - you will find ways to make it permanent. A young fellow on here - Magnum - did exactly that, and as far as I know, is still in China.

Fortune favours the brave, though preparation and a long term, sustainable plan are also very helpful.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

Because negativity is comfort. Positive, constructive action takes work and sometimes sacrifice.
Slick
Freshman Poster

Post by Slick »

Some of us don't have the money. Some of us don't have a college degree which would increase our chances for a visa. Some of us have relatives/friends that oppose the idea of going abroad. Some of us have material possessions in the U.S. in which they would never give up to live a happier life abroad.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I used to go abroad once per year, but then I realized that those short (2-3 weeks) trips were useless for finding your dream girl and maintaining the relationship. The next time I go abroad, it will be for an extended time period: at least 3 months, but preferably a whole year.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I found some short videos from The School of Life about great philosophers that explain why some of you are addicted to suffering and unhappiness and won't go abroad. So I want to share them with you all. I think that understanding the psychological or philosophical reasons for being addicted to unhappiness, should help you overcome them. Am I right?

This video is about the French existentialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre and his theory on "Bad Faith". It says that most people stick to an unhappy situation or rut because they LIE to themselves and tell themselves that they have no choice, but in reality they do and are freer than they think. They lie to themselves to avoid the pain of realizing that they've wasted their lives and ought to change it, which is too painful to confront, so they tell themselves that this is their lot in life and they have no choice. He calls this "negative ecstasy". One should overcome this trap, according to Sartre, because we are more free than we think we are. So true.

This one is about the great and famous Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It talks about a theme in his epic novels that people are addicted to misery and suffering, because they love it deep down. It's human nature. Russians are great sources for this, because they call themselves "happy pessimists" and are more real than the "fake miserable optimists" of the west. lol

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
YourTrustedAdvisor
Freshman Poster

Post by YourTrustedAdvisor »

Winston wrote: This one is about the great and famous Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky, who wrote epics such as "War and Peace".
Winston! How's the weight loss program going?

Dostoyevsky never wrote "War and Peace"!

It was Tolstoy!

Take care, buddy! :D

~ YourTrustedAdvisor
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

YourTrustedAdvisor wrote:
Winston wrote: This one is about the great and famous Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky, who wrote epics such as "War and Peace".
Winston! How's the weight loss program going?

Dostoyevsky never wrote "War and Peace"!

It was Tolstoy!

Take care, buddy! :D

~ YourTrustedAdvisor
Thanks. I fixed that. My weight is the same. It refuses to change. If I go back to China I will lose some though. China is happier, Taiwan is miserable and repressed.

Whose "trusted advisor" are you? And who are you anyway? You act like you know me and care about me. And you've appointed yourself someone's advisor too it seems. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Winston, the guy who makes these videos is Alan de Botton - a famous Swiss-English lecturer, author and TV presenter. I have been watching him for some time - this is one of my favourite vids of his

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1oLtuJOXQ[/youtube]

BTW interesting that you posted Dostoevsky. I think Crime and Punishment is the most powerful book I ever read. When I was in Shanghai in 2002 an American lent me a copy. It was winter and I was living in an apartment on the 24th floor of a 24 floor apartment block. The heating was broken and the windows didn't shut properly, so I lay in bed with my shoes on reading Crime and Punishment. Man it was cold. I think I had a bladder or prostate infection at the time either from drinking too much or from an STD, I don't know. I was feeling very guilty about it and the book really drew me in - because essentially it was about a character about my own age at that time (24) who had killed a money-lender and her servant and lay in his apartment in a fever of guilt. I really identified with him and took some solace from his redemption through marrying a fallen woman and going to the gulag for his crime. But why did I identify with him? I hadn't murdered anybody? I just felt guilty a lot in life - that made me interested in the idea of original sin, dispositional guilt etc...I think Genesis and the expulsion from the Garden of Eden is still the best explanation of this aspect of man's nature. Perhaps it is there in the Bhagavad Gita when Arjuna doesn't want to take the battlefield and the story of Buddha and his time giving in to sin...but not quite so brilliantly/accuratley realised.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
YourTrustedAdvisor
Freshman Poster

Post by YourTrustedAdvisor »

Winston wrote: You act like you know me and care about me.
Mr. Wu,

beside every great leader is a trusted advisor

~YourTrustedAdvisor