Can you stay in Thailand long term without a tourist VISA?

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Can you stay in Thailand long term without a tourist VISA?

Post by Voice of Reason »

I used to stay in Thailand long term on tourist VISAS, but it seems now they're cracking down. No longer can you just live there by hopping the border and renewing your tourist VISA:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 38504.html

What are some others ways to legally stay in Thailand on the long term?

I want to go back to Thailand again, but I have a string of tourist VISAS in my passport.

Any advice? Or do you think I have to look elsewhere now?
Last edited by Voice of Reason on July 15th, 2014, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Can you stay in Thailand long term without tourist VISA?

Post by Jester »

Voice of Reason wrote:I used to stay in Thailand long term on tourist VIAS, but it seems now they're cracking down. No longer can you just live there by hopping the border and renewing your tourist VISA:

I want to go back to Thailand again, but I have a strong of tourist VISAS.

SERIOUS post here.

FOREIGNERS WHO do regular visa runs in order to extend their stay in Thailand have less than a month before a crackdown by the authorities to enforce immigration laws more strictly.

From August 13, people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.

The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here.
AmericanInBangkok, who used to post on HA, mentioned the Thai educational visa. Sign up with a language school, to learn Thai, keeps you there for a year. Renew back-to-back is ok.

They also have a business visa. No need to attend classes! You have to pay something, like a grand or so, but what the hell. I think it also requires getting a letter of reference from a Thai business. I BELIEVE that this visa also allows you to open a bank account.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Voice of Reason wrote:I used to stay in Thailand long term on tourist VIAS, but it seems now they're cracking down. No longer can you just live there by hopping the border and renewing your tourist VISA:

starchild5 told me it's easy to get a one year visa to study Thai with not too much in the way of obligatory class hours. I think cost is around US$1,000.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Jester wrote: They also have a business visa. No need to attend classes! You have to pay something, like a grand or so, but what the hell. I think it also requires getting a letter of reference from a Thai business. I BELIEVE that this visa also allows you to open a bank account.
I don't really understand this. Do you have to have a business? Is it a business VISA, or a "business" VISA?
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Jester wrote:AmericanInBangkok, who used to post on HA, mentioned the Thai educational visa. Sign up with a language school, to learn Thai, keeps you there for a year. Renew back-to-back is ok.
Rock wrote: starchild5 told me it's easy to get a one year visa to study Thai with not too much in the way of obligatory class hours. I think cost is around US$1,000.
So it seems the only way to stay in Thailand long term is to pay $1000 for a "business" VISA or "education" VISA.

I don't know...it seems a bit much to me compared to tourist VISAS, even if it is for a year and you don't have to go border hopping (which I enjoyed).

I might have to consider going elsewhere...

Thanks anyway for the advice :)
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Rock wrote:

starchild5 told me it's easy to get a one year visa to study Thai with not too much in the way of obligatory class hours. I think cost is around US$1,000.
Yes, ED visa through reputed schools in Thailand...This site I have been in touch and its owned by a western guy so the service is good and he explains the procedure very clearly.

Know that due to coup and recent visa crack down...entering Thailand on any visa has become a bit complicated..DO more research

One can also get Thai ED visa for one year from reputed schools like

http://www.thaiwalen.com/
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

In order not to pay, Cambodia will work best. Business visa there is like 25$ or something for one year. Back-to-back ok.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Do you think this VISA crackdown stuff will be permanent, or is it something that will pass?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I think it will be permanent as all border points into Thailand are now connected online and it is easy to check at the border, who was entering how many times with what kind of visa or visa exemption in the past.

The rule always said, tourist means up to 180 days per year, and all what goes over is not a tourist anymore. Many countries have similar rules.

In the past Thai authorities did not care much about how many times the foreigner was passing the border and how many days totally per year he spent in Thailand - but it seems from now on they care.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:In order not to pay, Cambodia will work best. Business visa there is like 25$ or something for one year. Back-to-back ok.
Really? When I was there 10 years ago a business visa on arrival was $25 for 30 days and then extensions were ~$140 per six months depending on which agent you used.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Yohan wrote:I think it will be permanent as all border points into Thailand are now connected online and it is easy to check at the border, who was entering how many times with what kind of visa or visa exemption in the past.

The rule always said, tourist means up to 180 days per year, and all what goes over is not a tourist anymore. Many countries have similar rules.

In the past Thai authorities did not care much about how many times the foreigner was passing the border and how many days totally per year he spent in Thailand - but it seems from now on they care.
So as long as you don't stay for more than 180 days (i.e. 6 months) a year, then you're fine?

So you can go to Thailand for six months, go elsewhere for six months, and back to Thailand again?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yeah the thailand option is getting less attractive. one thing to the ed visa: one can also join a muay thai scholl. i read generally studying thai culture in a school works for ed visa.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I stayed there on a 1 year ED visa. It was expensive, but marginally cheaper than a business visa. My costs went up because I had to do a visa run to Malaysia to get the visa stamped.

Older dudes can get retirement visas.

The rules will be tightened in the coming years, no doubt about that.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.