Let's all donate something to Philippines typhoon relief

Discuss news and current events around the world.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Let's all donate something to Philippines typhoon relief

Post by ryanx »

This is the hour of their need. Be generous.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I was just thinking about this. However, any aid that our government gives the Philippines will not go to the people...at all. The Philippine government is horribly corrupt and politicians steal the financial aid that is given. I just read that they are relocating people into Manila. This may sound great, but I think it's going to have consequences in the future. There is nothing for them there so they will have to do whatever they have to in order to survive.

So what are some LEGIT organizations that will give 100% of profits to aid the people who are struggling right now in the Philippines? I would love to do my part to help, but I need to trust the organization that is supposed to hand over the aid to the actual people that need it.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

That is quite a defeatist attitude. I used to think along those lines...but there are many international organizations that do help, even if you consider the corruption, waste, mismanagement etc. This is a catastrophe so if even 10 dollars of a 30 dollars donation contributed to help some poor child it is still worth it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/n ... ief-effort
innovatorsclub
Freshman Poster

RyanX important post

Post by innovatorsclub »

Ryan X very good post and idea.. You single handedly brought some value back to this message board. So much immature trash talking has taken place in other threads over the last 48 hours on this board while innocent people are suffering. Unbelievable..I truly hope their goverment along with others governments help. Individuals also need to realize how fortunate they are and often times selfish/materialistic and give as well.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

ryanx wrote:That is quite a defeatist attitude. I used to think along those lines...but there are many international organizations that do help, even if you consider the corruption, waste, mismanagement etc. This is a catastrophe so if even 10 dollars of a 30 dollars donation contributed to help some poor child it is still worth it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/n ... ief-effort

Not a defeatist attitude, I'm asking for a legit organization so that I can donate. I absolutely know how corrupt the government is, that they don't care about people at all and that I don't trust them at all....that is only common sense. If no one knows of an organization that will provide the majority of what I donate to the people, then I'll just do some more searching on my own. Thanks
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... oF40LYo4uo

He's a list of decent charities that are working in the area.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Already donated some money to the Red Cross. I donated money for Katrina, the Japanese and the Asian Tsunami in the past. ...
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Viber opened up the lines of communications to let people in the Philippines connect to the outside world by giving them free calls. If any of you have a girlfriend living in the Philippines and has a smartphone let them know. Here's the report on that story. Viber is also working on letting non-Viber users outside of the Philippines call local residents who use Viber.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/11/viber- ... n-victims/
Last edited by ***JP*** on November 12th, 2013, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How do you donate? Can you do it by PayPal? Which charity organizations can you trust? Does the Red Cross have any history of corruption? We would certainly hate giving money to corrupt government officials.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

When you go to the PayPal home page, it asks you to make a donation to the typhoon victims. It takes you to this page:

https://www.paypal-donations.com/pp-cha ... jsp?cid=28

You can donate there. PayPal is even offering to waive fees on donations so that all of the money donated will go to the typhoon victims.

But again, how do you know it won't fall into the pockets of corrupt government officials? What controls are in place to prevent that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne