Being in Asia was the right choice for me!

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Being in Asia was the right choice for me!

Post by zboy1 »

I guess I want to add to more positive stories about being "Happier Abroad," so here goes:

I truly feel that I made the right decision in quitting my good-paying but exhausting job, finishing my bachelors degree, and heading off to Asia. In the past year, I've been to many cities in China, S. Korea twice, Hong Kong, Thailand and, soon, Japan, Macau, and possibly Taiwan and the Philippines as well.

I want to thank everyone on this forum, past and present, for encouraging me--and even those that have hated-on-me in the past, including Cornfed,Billy, Rock, Ladislav and NewLifeinthePhillippines. I've made many personal friends on the forum including E_Irrizary, Baoning, EthanSg, Maverick, Winston and others. It's been a blessing for me to have read this forum, and it probably saved my life from the misery that would've followed...if I had decided to stay in the States, I woud've become another stupefied zombie like everyone else.

For those that are not happy with where they are: I was like you once--angry and unhappy. But I made it a goal to leave, and I'm glad I did. Anyway, I will take a couple of months off from this forum, and possibly forever (haven't yet decided), but I know I will greatly limit my posts on this forum.

I might check in, once-in-a-while, make one or two posts a month but not as frequently as I have done in the past. I feel like I've gotten all I can from this forum, and I am grateful. I want to make sure I give credit to this forum and not leave without saying goodbye (like some previous posters have done). I will also limit posting on other forums I frequent as well. Anyway, good luck to everyone and I hope good things for the forum in the future.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Re: Being in Asia was the right choice for me!

Post by starchild5 »

Glad that you found your way....You are heading to a great place....good Luck
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 19th, 2020, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Thanks Ghost. Come back soon to China. I know how you feel right now! I was back for only two months in the States, but I felt like I wanted to kill myself after being back. LOL.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 19th, 2020, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Ghost wrote:I'm working f***ing retail here, trying to stay sane.
LOL, it could be worse. If I told you what I am currently doing you would fall about laughing.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Congrats. As for Ghost, I hear you. I work in retail as well. The customers are nice, but the managers are the biggest pain.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 19th, 2020, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modeeper
Freshman Poster

Post by modeeper »

I left the USA in 1980 and never looked back. I did 7 years in Thailand, 1 year in China and 2 years in ROK. Now I'm retired in Guadalajara MX.

Asia was fun most of the time but I never came to realize it was a place for me for anything more than teaching EFL.

I prefer Christian Nations. No, I'm not a Christian by most Christian's definition. It's more a cultural thing than actual religious thing.

I had plenty of adorable GFs in Asia, none of whom I would have married. I had Thai GFs who believed in voodoo. Their conception of circular time, reincarnation, animism, how honesty is a weakness, all were obstacles for me.

There are not a Mexican woman over 25-30 who are attractive. They get big fast. But the mentality couldn't be better. They are sentimental, warm and defiantly family oriented.

I'm happy here. GDL is the greatest city in the World, an eternal spring, cheap living, cool people, great food.