China- new land of opportunity harder for expats

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
ph
Freshman Poster

China- new land of opportunity harder for expats

Post by ph »

Check this article out:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... -are-scant

With the west's economy declining and job market becoming worse each year, more and more businesses are relocating to China for better business opportunity.

Whats even great is that their unemployment rate there is lower compared to USA and the western world. After all, pretty common for people to relocate there with so many people and resources to work with.

Nevertheless, reality from this article couldn't be more true. Its tougher for people there to find jobs then it use to be. Once Ive heard that over 10 years ago, if someone spoke english as a native speaker, that was a golden skill. BUT today they demand more in order to make a career there.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 23rd, 2016, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ph
Freshman Poster

Post by ph »

Yes. Also ladislav mentioned that China is the best place to teach english while you are young and under 30 given the pay isn't good.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I'm 28, if I'm going to china I better get my ass in college quick it would seem....

illegally working in china would work short term for me, but it would be devastating if I got kicked out of the country.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

magnum wrote:I'm 28, if I'm going to china I better get my a** in college quick it would seem....

illegally working in china would work short term for me, but it would be devastating if I got kicked out of the country.
It'd be a little worse than that. Lying about your qualifications can land you jail time before your deportation. And you wont have enough money from such a job to buy off the cops, so they'll make an example of you.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I'm guessing that my prospects in China will be good for a long time to come, given that I have a Ph.D. and 15 years of teaching experience (albeit in Math, not English).