DO something about it.

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

skeptic wrote:South Korea is within too uncomfortable proximity to North Korea. And in what way is it better than America anyway? As for China, is it a third world country? Probably not. And if it was so great to live there, we wouldn't have had so many Chinatowns.
LOL! Have you ever been outside of the country? I bet you haven't even stepped foot outside of NYC. Anyone whose says "in what way is it (South Korea) better than America anyway?," should not be taken seriously. How about blazing fast and cheap Internet, clean and efficient subway and public transportation system, fresh and inexpensive food unlike the processed GMO garbage in the United States, and a low crime rate in comparison to any big city in America. How about that for starters?.......

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:
skeptic wrote:South Korea is within too uncomfortable proximity to North Korea. And in what way is it better than America anyway? As for China, is it a third world country? Probably not. And if it was so great to live there, we wouldn't have had so many Chinatowns.
LOL! Have you ever been outside of the country? I bet you haven't even stepped foot outside of NYC. Anyone whose says "in what way is it (South Korea) better than America anyway?," should not be taken seriously. How about blazing fast and cheap Internet, clean and efficient subway and public transportation system, fresh and inexpensive food unlike the processed GMO garbage in the United States, and a low crime rate in comparison to any big city in America. How about that for starters?.......
... young women tend not to be psychotic manatees, short walk from anywhere to convenience stores selling cheap alcohol, money gets spent on public infrastructure instead of everything being allowed to decay so the rich can build their mansions, good cheap health care etc.
skeptic
Freshman Poster

Post by skeptic »

Author wrote:LOL! Have you ever been outside of the country? I bet you haven't even stepped foot outside of NYC.
You may consider yourself having lost the bet. Yes, I have been outside of the U.S.; actually for very long - almost half my age. And although I tend to only dwell on the positive memories, the f@$king bullying and anti-semitism I experienced there is something I wouldn't want back in my life.
Author wrote:Anyone whose says "in what way is it (South Korea) better than America anyway?," should not be taken seriously.
Never been to South Korea (or any Asian country), so I don't know. You are the one making a comparison, and I'm the one willing to know the details of that comparison. I'm not claiming it's worse (cause I don't know); but I want to know what makes it better.
Author wrote:How about blazing fast and cheap Internet, clean and efficient subway and public transportation system, fresh and inexpensive food unlike the processed GMO garbage in the United States, and a low crime rate in comparison to any big city in America.
I'm not sure about Internet. But to see clean and efficient subway, go to Washington or Atlanta. (NYC subway is not particularly good in cleanliness, but a case can be made for its efficiency, considering the system's age).
Cornfed wrote:... young women tend not to be psychotic manatees, short walk from anywhere to convenience stores selling cheap alcohol, money gets spent on public infrastructure instead of everything being allowed to decay so the rich can build their mansions, good cheap health care etc.
Are you referring to South Korea specifically, or to virtually all foreign countries in general? I acknolwedge that the EU countries, as well as China and Japan are doing much better in terms of infrastructure spendings (particularly high-speed rail). But that's not exactly the case with Russia and the rest of ex-USSR. For instance, passenger aviation in Belarus has declined since the end of the Soviet era. Russia's high-speed Sapsan trains are limited to the St.Petersburg-Moscow-N.Novgorod route, which is not much longer than the Acela's Boston-NYC-Washington route, especially considering the difference in area of the two countries. Conventional long-distance passenger rail in ex-USSR is, admittedly, much larger and stronger than the skeletal Amtrak system. But Mexico is exactly the opposite: it has killed its national rail system more than a decade ago.
I'm not an expert in the food area as much as in transportation area; additionally, I'm bounded by Jewish dietary restrictions (Kosher food), which makes large cities in the U.S., Canada, and, to a lesser extent, U.K., most kosher-friendly; that is, along with Israel, of course. Generally, I'm not in a position to argue that most affordable food sold in America is of a lower quality than that in other countries.
Cornfed wrote:... young women tend not to be psychotic manatees, short walk from anywhere to convenience stores selling cheap alcohol, money gets spent on public infrastructure instead of everything being allowed to decay so the rich can build their mansions, good cheap health care etc.
Most women I know are not like that. Ok, let's say I'm limited to a specific ethnic community (partially foreign-born like myself), so I can't speak for the general crowd. But, really, do you believe the average American women is obnoxious and ugly? I'm not isolated from people outside of my community, but I don't feel like being surrounded by ugly ducklings; there are gorgeous women, as well as not-so-gorgeious ones. And I just don't believe there are no overweight (or otherwise not-good-loodking) women in Russia or other countries you admire so much. Yeah, you may say there is a higher percentage of them good-looking in Russia,.. but then again it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Cheap health care... Yes, this is an issue here. But I'm sure that cheaps health care comes with a different kind of price tag. What if (G-d forbid) a very rare and complicated surgery is needed? In such cases, most patients somehow raise money (or go into debt) and pay for the service in the United States, rather than staying on a waiting list, for example, in Canada.
You can run away from America, but you CAN'T run away from yourself.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I remember Napoleon Hill writing about how the Mongol Khans would sail to a place and then burn their ships upon arrival, leaving them no choice but to conquer or perish. He recommends doing the same. I see nothing wrong with burning bridges behind you if you're commited. Of course, if there's no REASON to do so there is no point, but what would you want to hang on to?

Return to “Why Go Abroad? Tell Your Story and Reasons”