Ciudad Juarez not a good place to get started with HA

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Ciudad Juarez not a good place to get started with HA

Post by MattHanson1990 »

One of my goals this year is to get out of America at least once, but I've come to the conclusion that Ciudad Juarez isn't really a good place to get started with the HA movement. Having observed at the Mexican shops in El Paso a few blocks from one of the border crossings, people living in Ciudad Juarez appear very closed compared to those living in El Paso. Juarez is going through a drug war and was the most dangerous city a few years back, and it says a lot about the people being very reserved and cliquish. Even one of my friends at UTEP observed the differences. There's also a language barrier in Juarez, and the Mexican girl I hit it off with in El Paso in November told me not to go to Juarez alone as most people there don't speak English.

For getting started with the HA movement at the US Mexico border, head for the border towns on the US side, especially the ones in Texas; but avoid San Diego since it's Americanized, and I'm not sure how it is in Nogales, Arizona.

Tijuana might be the only border town in Mexico where meeting people is easy as it is safer than Ciudad Juarez.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ciudad Juarez not a good place to get started with HA

Post by fschmidt »

I gave Winston a walking tour of Juarez and I could do the same for you. It isn't ideal but it isn't that bad either.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I always think of the movie Bordertown when I hear of Juarez. The movie stars Jennifer Lopez and portrays Juarez as a very dangerous and corrupt place. It is supposedly based on true events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpfKkFNZRs
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Only an idiot or a extreme SIMP would go to mexico.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Several years ago, it was very dangerous. Local pastors have been winning gangsters to Jesus. I hear people there are starting to take their families to the parks again. It used to be too dangerous. They've also opened up a big museum for children in town.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

MrMan wrote:Several years ago, it was very dangerous. Local pastors have been winning gangsters to Jesus. I hear people there are starting to take their families to the parks again. It used to be too dangerous. They've also opened up a big museum for children in town.
perhaps they are all living in USA to explain the decrease
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

This isn't 2010. Juarez isn't so bad these days. The border is the border. Granted I'd much rather be in Juarez than Reynosa, but I say don't judge Mexico based on the border. I can tell you from direct knowledge that there are lots of women in Juarez, Mexico that would really like to have a good gringo. It's just a matter of networking with that crowd. The one good thing about living on the border is the ability to date on the Mexican side and work on the US side. You just need to have an open mind. Ensenada is too far to drive to the border for work, but that's another option not far from the border.

You can find a bad woman anywhere, but the women in Latin America are generally so much "better" than the alternative. Miami is the best example I can give. There are lots of good looking women in Miami. But when I visit there I gotta have the right pad, rent the right car, drop way too much cash just to get started. And women living in Miami have very little interest in leaving. So you can get laid, but relocating them isn't the mostly likely of options.

Now if a place like Miami appeals to you, then you need to look beyond a place like Juarez. Mexico City, Cartagena, Bogota, Medellin, and San Jose are the top examples. Lima, Peru is an alternative some guys have done as well. But Brasil is a no go for me for two reasons. One is the language. And second is the fact that it is way more dangerous statistically than people realize. I would never venture to parts of Central America right now because of how dangerous it is. Well statistically Brasil is quite dangerous, and even more so because at least people know San Pedro Sula is a cesspool. The problem is Brasil gets all these tourists, and people think it is some safe party destination. It's not.

And Argentina is way too stuck up in my opinion. The irony is what has happened to their economy, but now they are just broke and snobby. Regardless if that is your type a better alternative would be Montevideo.

If you don't need to work in the USA, then the sky is the limit for what you can do. If you work in the USA and you want to relocate, then I would visit someplace like Juarez. Now if you live in LA, then maybe a drive to Ensenada makes sense, But if you live in Omaha, Denver, Cleveland, etc then you might as well just jump on a plane and go where you want. Get on google and start reading, and then realize that some sources are full of bs. There are knowledgeable people on here, and there are biased people on here. There are "loud typists" that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. The more I get out and travel the more I realize how the internet is good for a little travel advice, but not much else.

What I can tell daters is to get in front of many women. We date at a much slower pace in the USA, because we live here. The whole point of Latin America is to get in front of way better choices repeatedly. Let's say you are taking a 10 day trip to Mexico City, San Jose, or Bogota. Pick your city, and then make a plan to actually see the city and the women. You should have dates lined up on top of each other. You shouldn't be shocked a few women flake. You should be online, advertising locally, and have educated yourself on the hot spots to mingle.

I wish everyone the best of luck, but when I read what I'm reading about Juarez I just shake my head. Because I could have tons of fun in Juarez. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it is easy for you to get to Juarez then I say go make the most of it.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

travelsouth wrote:This isn't 2010. Juarez isn't so bad these days. The border is the border. Granted I'd much rather be in Juarez than Reynosa, but I say don't judge Mexico based on the border. I can tell you from direct knowledge that there are lots of women in Juarez, Mexico that would really like to have a good gringo. It's just a matter of networking with that crowd. The one good thing about living on the border is the ability to date on the Mexican side and work on the US side. You just need to have an open mind. Ensenada is too far to drive to the border for work, but that's another option not far from the border.

You can find a bad woman anywhere, but the women in Latin America are generally so much "better" than the alternative. Miami is the best example I can give. There are lots of good looking women in Miami. But when I visit there I gotta have the right pad, rent the right car, drop way too much cash just to get started. And women living in Miami have very little interest in leaving. So you can get laid, but relocating them isn't the mostly likely of options.

Now if a place like Miami appeals to you, then you need to look beyond a place like Juarez. Mexico City, Cartagena, Bogota, Medellin, and San Jose are the top examples. Lima, Peru is an alternative some guys have done as well. But Brasil is a no go for me for two reasons. One is the language. And second is the fact that it is way more dangerous statistically than people realize. I would never venture to parts of Central America right now because of how dangerous it is. Well statistically Brasil is quite dangerous, and even more so because at least people know San Pedro Sula is a cesspool. The problem is Brasil gets all these tourists, and people think it is some safe party destination. It's not.

And Argentina is way too stuck up in my opinion. The irony is what has happened to their economy, but now they are just broke and snobby. Regardless if that is your type a better alternative would be Montevideo.

If you don't need to work in the USA, then the sky is the limit for what you can do. If you work in the USA and you want to relocate, then I would visit someplace like Juarez. Now if you live in LA, then maybe a drive to Ensenada makes sense, But if you live in Omaha, Denver, Cleveland, etc then you might as well just jump on a plane and go where you want. Get on google and start reading, and then realize that some sources are full of bs. There are knowledgeable people on here, and there are biased people on here. There are "loud typists" that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. The more I get out and travel the more I realize how the internet is good for a little travel advice, but not much else.

What I can tell daters is to get in front of many women. We date at a much slower pace in the USA, because we live here. The whole point of Latin America is to get in front of way better choices repeatedly. Let's say you are taking a 10 day trip to Mexico City, San Jose, or Bogota. Pick your city, and then make a plan to actually see the city and the women. You should have dates lined up on top of each other. You shouldn't be shocked a few women flake. You should be online, advertising locally, and have educated yourself on the hot spots to mingle.

I wish everyone the best of luck, but when I read what I'm reading about Juarez I just shake my head. Because I could have tons of fun in Juarez. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it is easy for you to get to Juarez then I say go make the most of it.
I wonder which venues in Juarez are good for meeting women. One of the venues in El Paso where you can meet women is the UTEP campus, even if you're an outsider, but there are other venues. I met most of the Mexican girls in El Paso in the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, but meeting them was so natural. The Mexican girl I hit it off with was raised in Juarez but moved to El Paso in high school, before Juarez became the most dangerous city in the world. You're right about Juarez being safer now, but then again there's the language barrier.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

MattHanson1990 wrote: but then again there's the language barrier.
With a couple exceptions Latin America is a Spanish Speaking destination. What do you expect? I don't even date women that aren't at or near a conversational level en Ingles. Generally women that have a good job and an education studied English. I prefer the higher strata chicas. But seriously get past the language barrier as an excuse not to travel. I speak some traveler's Spanish. You get around. It's all good. So your standards are that you want an English speaker. That's no problem really.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

There are cities in Mexico where it's better for meeting women like Guadalajara, which is my ultimate destination in Mexico; but I may try hitting it off in Juarez this next time I go to El Paso. And living in a border city is an advantage where one can work on the US side and date on the Mexican side, but in the Texas border towns, one can date either on the US side or the Mexico side since those cities are removed from the mainstream American culture in many ways.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

fschmidt wrote:I gave Winston a walking tour of Juarez and I could do the same for you. It isn't ideal but it isn't that bad either.
Let's go to Juarez this next time I go to El Paso. I'm not sure how easy it is to meet women in Juarez though.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

MattHanson1990 wrote:
fschmidt wrote:I gave Winston a walking tour of Juarez and I could do the same for you. It isn't ideal but it isn't that bad either.
Let's go to Juarez this next time I go to El Paso. I'm not sure how easy it is to meet women in Juarez though.
Increase your knowledge of Spanish. The "I'm a gringo, roll out the red carpet for me" ideology won't fly there.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
MattHanson1990 wrote:Let's go to Juarez this next time I go to El Paso. I'm not sure how easy it is to meet women in Juarez though.
Increase your knowledge of Spanish. The "I'm a gringo, roll out the red carpet for me" ideology won't fly there.
I can translate.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

fschmidt wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
MattHanson1990 wrote:Let's go to Juarez this next time I go to El Paso. I'm not sure how easy it is to meet women in Juarez though.
I can translate.
I read a trip report from one of the forum members, and he didn't have it as easy in Juarez as he did in Medellin. Also, note that I'm not judging Mexico from Ciudad Juarez. Cities deeper into Mexico are also on my list as well as the border towns; I am also considering the city of Chihuahua, Puerto Peñasco, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Veracruz, etc.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MattHanson1990 wrote:
Also, note that I'm not judging Mexico from Ciudad Juarez. Cities deeper into Mexico are also on my list as well as the border towns; I am also considering the city of Chihuahua, Puerto Peñasco, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Veracruz, etc.
Mexicali is on the border, with lots of educated pretty girls. Thats the border town I would try. Don't go in the summer.

Monterrey might be worth considering, especially since it's closer to you than GDL, DF, etc, and probably a direct flight. Lots of uni girls there. Euro and Lebanese blood.

PS I've said elsewhere, that a local language school with large, active classes could be used as a base of operations and furnish a wingman or two...

...especially interesting if it ALSO has classes teaching English to gringo-curious young chicas...
:wink:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."