Which South American (not Latin American) has the best food?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.

Uruguay
No votes
Paraguay
No votes
Argentina
20%
Chile
No votes
Brazil
20%
Guyana
No votes
Suriname
No votes
French Suriname
No votes
Venezuela
No votes
Ecuador
20%
Colombia
No votes
Bolivia
No votes
Peru
40%

Total votes: 5
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Read the subject. lol Vote or Die.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Re: Which South American (not Latin American) has the best f

Post by chibolo »

I have only been to Ecuador and Peru (and I was only in Ecuador for a couple of days) but I voted Peru. Especially Peruvian seafood is great: ceviche, ceviche salpreso, jugoso, sudado, arroz con mariscos, tiradito, pescado a lo macho, chicharrones de pescado, causa, etc. Other great dishes include aji de gallina, lomo saltado, arroz con pollo,etc. And then you have the food from "la selva" (the jungle región) of course, which is very different from the food they eat on the coast but is also excellent. Chifa food (Chinese-Peruvian) is also great.

Peru was actually voted best food destination in the world twice in a row:
Peru has one more international award to tuck away in its trophy case. At the 2013 World Travel Awards held in Doha, Qatar on Nov. 30, Peru was named the World’s Leading Culinary Travel Destination.
http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-peru-n ... row-101616

Here is another one:
Peru has been crowned the gastronomic capital of South America in the latest edition of the World Travel Awards 2014, which recognize excellence in the field of tourism across the globe.

Aside from being named South America's Leading Culinary Destination for the second time since 2012, Peru also received awards in two other categories: South America's Leading Cultural Destination and South America's Leading Heritage Destination.
https://www.finedininglovers.com/blog/n ... ards-2014/

Even Will Smith loves Peruvian food :D (video in Spanish)

Chilean president Piñera says the best restaurants in Santiago de Chile are Peruvian (in Spanish):

Here is famous Guatemalan singer Ricardo Arjona talking about Peruvian food (in Spanish):
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I have been to Venezuela, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Brazil. Out of those, I choose Argentina.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Chibolo....I like how you bring up concrete proof. That's a man right there, even if I don't agree with you. I like that sh.it about you.
But again, I love my comida peruana de la selva/jungle food from Tarapoto & Yurimaguas. It really rivals DR and PR cuisine food that I had in NYC.
I had a couple of those dishes as shown in the videos (they were decent but....), but I stick to the aforementioned. :-D
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

fschmidt wrote:I have been to Venezuela, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Brazil. Out of those, I choose Argentina.
I have never been to Argentina. What's so great about the food there? This question has no sarcasm as a FYI.

P.S.: I had Chilean food. It's probably the worst S. American food. Filipino food is a tad better, and I'm cringing as I type. You know food of a region and/or country is bad
when their desserts taste better. That is true for the Phiilippines and Chile. If it werent' for ceviche and Chilean ice cream and cake, I probably would have eaten my face
off like that Russian-sleep experiment.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Yes, Chilean food is the worst.

I was in Argentina twice and the food definitely deteriorated on the second trip, so I don't know what it is like now, but it was good. First, they have the world's best beef (well, tied with Uruguay). They also have great Italian food since they have a lot of Italian heritage. And the pastries in Buenos Aires are like in Europe. Argentine food isn't like native American food which is mostly stews. It is more simple food made from great local produce and European style food. Or at least it was before the plague of American bad taste reached them.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

fschmidt wrote:Yes, Chilean food is the worst.

I was in Argentina twice and the food definitely deteriorated on the second trip, so I don't know what it is like now, but it was good. First, they have the world's best beef (well, tied with Uruguay). They also have great Italian food since they have a lot of Italian heritage. And the pastries in Buenos Aires are like in Europe. Argentine food isn't like native American food which is mostly stews. It is more simple food made from great local produce and European style food. Or at least it was before the plague of American bad taste reached them.
Interesting, interesting. I'm a big time meat eater so AR might do the job. Once I become used to AR and BR, I will have to do a comparison being amino acids between the two countries. I hope they can hook up a steak. I'm very picky with steak. If it's off, then I will complain..verbosely but calmly so that people don't get all pent-up about it.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Chibolo....I like how you bring up concrete proof. That's a man right there, even if I don't agree with you. I like that sh.it about you.
But again, I love my comida peruana de la selva/jungle food from Tarapoto & Yurimaguas. It really rivals DR and PR cuisine food that I had in NYC.
I had a couple of those dishes as shown in the videos (they were decent but....), but I stick to the aforementioned. :-D
Fair enough. It is all a matter of personal preference anyway.
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
fschmidt wrote:I have been to Venezuela, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Brazil. Out of those, I choose Argentina.
I have never been to Argentina. What's so great about the food there? This question has no sarcasm as a FYI.

P.S.: I had Chilean food. It's probably the worst S. American food. Filipino food is a tad better, and I'm cringing as I type. You know food of a region and/or country is bad
when their desserts taste better. That is true for the Phiilippines and Chile. If it werent' for ceviche and Chilean ice cream and cake, I probably would have eaten my face
off like that Russian-sleep experiment.
Chilean food has a bad reputation. That is probably why they love Peruvian food so much and why Santiago has so many Peruvian restaurants. :D Again, even the Chilean president prefers Peruvian food. :D