What can you tell me about Kiev?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
WuFan
Freshman Poster

What can you tell me about Kiev?

Post by WuFan »

I´m 23, European, tall, white and want to move to Eastern Europe for the women. I don´t speak the language.

Is it really full of hot girls and is it easy to pick them up if you are decent looking?
GuitarGuy996
Freshman Poster

Post by GuitarGuy996 »

I'll be in Kyiv in May.

I think you shouldn't have a problem but I would start learning the language. If you need any help with that, let me know. :D
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Kiev

Post by WorldTraveler »

Very simple. Everybody's experience is different. Go over for several weeks and check it out. Test marketing! See if the place works for you.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Of course, everybody's experience is different.

Reviews several foreigners who visited KYIV:

1. Do Do
"" My trip was ok to Kiev..like any other city- just be aware of your surroundings and who is around you! infact it way safer than comparable UK Shit hole cities. People seem grumpy in Hotels mostly-(the men) but if you step and chat to a lady most of the girls in 20s are fun- older ones are grumpy - like communnist rule is still going on (maybe it is right)!? well all in all I liked it- it was not as cheap as I thought it was going to be...had some great food at high end places and to get same quality back in uk woukld have cost loads more (yep uk is an over priced ... hole)..so stay cool- walk tall like you live there and you will be A OK! (oh and dont go shagging any hookers- unless you were a condom suit with is 2" thick) anyway I wouldnt want that HIV again..lol"""

2. James :
Stayed there for 6 nights in November last year.
Got into so many fights with locals that tried to bully me.
I don't take ... from anyone unless I am in the wrong and am a very handy guy with my MMA background.
Eventually got into trouble with the police who supported the locals every time they complained I assaulted them.
The girls are great. Spent my evenings with models every night.
If you are a tough guy and can stick up for yourself then I would recommend the place highly. Very cheap and has so many nice and friendly people too.
If you are weak and easily bullied then choose another country.
I will be back there in May this year.
Look forward to it.

3. Jim say:
" I know about ukraine very well . My simple advice is that please do not go there if you do not have any urgency . They are mother ... er fools (sorry but i do not have any appropriate word for them) . You will bang your head in many instance ."

4. sarko2006
"I went to Kiev 5 months ago and I am on my way in 3 weeks. They have some racism, but it's only from ignorant people just like anywhere in the world. I met girls at the university who wanted to practice their English and Spanish and were very friendly and showed me the city. The city is very beautiful with a lot of exotic architecture and gorgeous women all over the place. If you are of African, Middle Eastern or Hindu you should expect people to stare at you as you will look very different from every body else. On the other side if you are from Europe, the Americas, Australia, New Zealand or have European roots you will be treated just like everybody else."

5. Mikey
I've been in Ukraine for one year. Being African, I have definitely experienced racism; in the mildest form though so I'd say I'm lucky. Although I get called names and get hard and hostile stares, I 'm like who cares! I just walk on since insults don't grow on your skin. If you're white, you don't have a problem with racism in Ukraine although a few of my American and Asian friends complain of racial slurs. It's hard to call all Ukrainians racist because I've been helped and assisted by a few of them even with me being African and brown skinned. A case was when I couldn't get a train ticket back to my city from Kiev. I'd tried all I could and not being able to speak Russian worsened the whole situation. I walked up to an Ukrainian lad who looked every inch like a skinhead and in broken Russian explained my plight to him. He proved to be my godsend that day. The rest is history but I'd never forget that act of kindness. I also admired a babushka telling off a drunk man who was about getting on me while I was riding in a trolleybus in Kiev. Also, I had a racist tell me to walk away from where I was somewhere outside the train station still in Kiev because it wasn't safe for me and I could get robbed or harassed. About the police I also have never been stopped on the street either in Kiev, Ternopil, Lviv or Chernivtsi. On one occasion, I had a friend visit me from Czech Republic and there was a cop at the door. He got bribed and walked and that's not so racist to be fair. He pushed his colleagues to come for more but I never opened the door after then. I'd also say the drunks are the most racist as they get more dangerous when they are drunk. Skinheads? Heard of them but never saw one. I got ripped off by a taxi driver in Kiev because I didn't know my way but that happens in every big city I guess. All in all I'd say black people are subject to racism in Ukraine more than white people and even if you're black and hang out with the right people, don't get drunk, understand the place you live, you stand a chance of living peacefully with little or no brush-offs with racists.

6. Yulia
O my God! All you write is terrible! But I am Ukrainian and don't see so much trouble, not more than in any other country. Don't drink so much to loose your brain, don't hang nights in the shady places, taxi with taximeter and with whores is the situation same as in YOUR country. Will you find a good girl? She, as a rule, doesn't meet you in the street (maybe in university, library, office, but not in the nightclub, or pub).

7. UAE friend
I had visited Kiev in 2010. Like other Western cities there is an amount of racism latent in Kiev also. Have seen mugging instances a couple of time. Some nightclubs have face control which disallow African & Asian visitors. The girls are supposed to be the most beautiful ones. However they also turn to be racist when you are of Asian or African background and approach them. They prefer rich American or European grooms rather than Asians. You see the same with all hookers from Ukraine who have flooded the UAE cities.

Mark
After reading a lot of peoples 'reports' on here I would never visit Kiev or the Ukraine,had I not already visited many times & know the vast bulk of these to be false or more likely exaggerated.
I have stayed at various hotels & lived in various apartments amongst the local population & been perfectly fine.
Police-personally never had an issue having been stopped twice,once as a passenger in a car that was clearly speeding & the other for being more than mildly tipsy walking home without my passport(the only time I never carried it & the only time I was stopped). The Police neither fined me nor assaulted me,just checked me for drugs then I was immediately released.
Skinheads? Never seen one here.
Racism? I have encountered some racism notably when myself & an Indian friend were not allowed into several nightclubs(& I believe Shooters was one of them) because we were 'drunk' when we weren't. It was evidently because of his skin colour. However he himself had been in the city working for 6 months & this was only the second time it had occurred so it is not endemic although it was very annoying & humiliating,particularly for him. And disconcerting. Also was walking with a girl when she stopped & started pointing & laughing at some passers by saying 'Ch-ee-na' then making slanty eye impressions when clearly I failed top see what there was to be excited about. I realised that the people were Chinese but she was the only one on the very busy street doing it & she was from a provincial town where there were no/few ethnics so I assume it was just the novelty of it for her. I would also add that when Nik & I were playing pool with the locals in the bar none of them were bothered by his skin colour so again I think it is just a few uneducated people. It is also worth noting that a lot of people come to work in Kiev from the country & I was informed more than once that these people are the issue. Your average main city dweller is accustomed to seeing different ethnicities.
Stray dogs? Yes there are but dangerous? I have never witnessed this either on or near Khreschatik or in the crappy areas around the beaches in Odessa in the evening or on early morning runs. They wanna avoid you & get an easy meal.
Taxis-they are trying to make a quick buck,they know foreigners are naive about the ways of the city & are really no different to taxi drivers in many big cities. Arrange the fare BEFORE you get into the cab,not at the end of the journey & if you are with a local get them to arrange the price & then laugh at the look on the drivers face when you begin speaking in English AFTER the fare has been agreed.

The Ukrainian way is to often remain impassive(which is why so many foreigners stand out) & you will see it on the street as the locals do not smile. However Ukrainians are a very friendly folk,warm,hearty & happy once you make the effort. They like foreigners coming to their country & usually want you to like it & them & their culture.
In short I love the Ukraine,have walked up some dodgy places alone at night & never been mugged or harassed. The food,culture & architecture is wonderful. if you go for the women (I do not mean the sex industry here) you will find that the greater majority are genuine although there are snakes in every society who will rob you & deceive you.
If you visit, make the effort & I am sure you will enjoy it as I have & I enjoyed it so much I am taking my son to visit very soon. I would not do this if I perceived the place to be more dangerous than any other city I have visited.

9.CARLOS
I forgot to add earlier that during my last visit to the city of Kiev they were even singing the Spanish song " besame, besame mucho " on Kreshatik. It seems to be popular there. I also heard it in a restaurant. I found it interesting. The song is actually Mexican in origin. I am a different Spanish. I married a very sincere and nice Ukrainian girl. I am happy to report that she is happy with me here in the States. She is going to school and working. If you are single and honest you can find your girl too.

10. michael
Skinheads in the Ukraine? You've got the wrong country bud. I've been all over the Ukraine during my 14 visits there and have NEVER seen a skinhead. Yes, most Ukrainians might be racist against non-Caucasians, but Americans are usually welcomed everywhere as they bring income into the country. I've never been mugged, robbed or ripped off by anyone. If you are looking for skinheads, go to England and Germany, I have only seen them there.

11. Relieved
The problem with Ukraine is that the bar is set very low in the first place. Before you even begin to consider racism, you should understand that Ukrainians are thoroughly unpleasant to each other. No social mobility....More fool to those sex tourists that go there simply for the women. Without doubt Ukraine is an even more thoroughly unpleasant place for any non-white person - but this is not a problem if you don't go there. If it's girls you are after, get a female friend and ask her to tell you in all honesty why you are unable to get a girlfriend back home. Then act on it: go to the gym, read more, take up interesting hobbies, develop your career, take baths regularly - whatever it takes to rejoin society at home. Jumping on a plane and risking your life to buy a bride is not the solution to your problem. And understand this: Western divorce law and privileges are extended to Ukrainian nationals. If you bring one home and she gets approached by a guy that is richer than you / better looking than you, once her spouse visa is confirmed she will be gone in a flash.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

I'm black myself and have experienced a Ukrainian man call me nigger on a language website I joined.

Though I do not k.ow if I will ever experience there when I finally visit Ukraine.

Thank you for sharing that Google.

Very insightful. Seems everyone has a different experience of Ukraine. By the time I go I shoulg be pretty wealthy and well off. So perhaps I should dress down or maybe its okay to dress up I Donny know.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

ssjparris wrote:I'm black myself and have experienced a Ukrainian man call me nigger on a language website I joined.

Though I do not k.ow if I will ever experience there when I finally visit Ukraine.

Very insightful. Seems everyone has a different experience of Ukraine. By the time I go I shoulg be pretty wealthy and well off. So perhaps I should dress down or maybe its okay to dress up I Donny know.
As I understand it, the word Nigger doesn't exist in Russian or Ukrainian language which means it only comes from ONE PLACE and that shows you how destructive America's influence can be.

I was never called anything more than Sex Tourist, within hearing distance anywhere.

White Men should have nothing to worry about and really shouldn't be asking, I don't know what they are expecting. Black Men shouldn't have to worry too much but should be cautious like we should be anywhere.

You shouldn't experience anything out of the ordinary, get to know some people ahead of time, it makes things smoother. Some say Kiev is tarnish or over-fished, weather that's true or not nobody has scientific proof so just go anyway. I say going to smaller town are too much for the novice traveler and the novice with FSU women.

Then again I am all for off the beaten path...
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

djfourmoney wrote:
ssjparris wrote:I'm black myself and have experienced a Ukrainian man call me nigger on a language website I joined.

As I understand it, the word Nigger doesn't exist in Russian or Ukrainian language which means it only comes from ONE PLACE and that shows you how destructive America's influence can be.

I was never called anything more than Sex Tourist, within hearing distance anywhere.

White Men should have nothing to worry about and really shouldn't be asking, I don't know what they are expecting. Black Men shouldn't have to worry too much but should be cautious like we should be anywhere.

You shouldn't experience anything out of the ordinary, get to know some people ahead of time, it makes things smoother. Some say Kiev is tarnish or over-fished, weather that's true or not nobody has scientific proof so just go anyway. I say going to smaller town are too much for the novice traveler and the novice with FSU women.

Then again I am all for off the beaten path...
Yeah I want to go regardless. And I do want to see the Ukraine.

In fact a Ukrainian man was very hospitable to me. The treated me like they knew me such was awesome.

And the girls find me very attractive. But I only meet them here in the states. So can't wait to meet them in their country.

As for smaller. Cities I want to try the cities ladislav recommended.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Which cities did Ladislav recommend?
I know somebody mentioned there is some part of Ukraine where girls have weird shaped bodies, I cant rmbr which part is that.
Why Ukraine seems to be more popular than Russia, at least that is the case on this forum?Easier?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Banano wrote:Which cities did Ladislav recommend?
I know somebody mentioned there is some part of Ukraine where girls have weird shaped bodies, I cant rmbr which part is that.
Why Ukraine seems to be more popular than Russia, at least that is the case on this forum?Easier?
Easier to get into -- no visa required, at least for Americans. Getting into Russia can be a pain in the butt, and I think you can stay for only a month. Ladislav's recommended cities are on the other current thread about Ukraine, I believe titled "I'm in Ukraine."
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

maybe they said "negr" not "nigger"? in Ukraine even in school textbooks written "negr" ("black") and therefore there is nothing offensive. , ie "negr" is not analogous to "nigger" rather is analog "black"
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Google wrote:

maybe they said "negr" not "nigger"? in Ukraine even in school textbooks written "negr" ("black") and therefore there is nothing offensive. , ie "negr" is not analogous to "nigger" rather is analog "black"
Here's an example similar to this from another country, the Philippines. One or some of the original darker tribal peoples of some islands were called "Negritos". I'm not sure if this word came from the Spanish in the early 1500s or where, but in some early languages a word like this means black, not in just Ameriaca, but was used in other countries to mean dark or black, so it had NOTHING to do with being African American or a derogatory term.