First Time Going to Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Dragon
Junior Poster

First Time Going to Philippines

Post by Dragon »

Planning a trip to the Philippines next year in March for a week. Already set aside vacation time at work and booked my flight. Looking at going to Cebu. Any travel tips? It's my first time traveling internationally. I heard taking an Uber/Grab at the airport to hotel is better than the regular taxis. How much money do I bring? Any good hotels? The purpose is really to get a lay of the land. Eventually if I like the place I plan to move. Anything would be appreciated.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Re: First Time Going to Philippines

Post by Zambales »

Can't really be exact with how much money you should bring as everyone's spending habits are different.

Accommodation can range from a few hundred peso's a night for a shared dorm, P700 for a room in a pension house and at least P1000 for a hotel. Expect to pay at least P2000 for a decent hotel with a swimming pool.

Dining out in an average resto that serves western food costs about P350 which isn't exactly cheap. However you can eat cheaply at the food courts in the malls and at resto's where the locals dine - just expect Filipino dishes though.

Beer is inexpensive especially bought at sari-sari stores, and buses and jeepneys are cheap to get around in.

Of course the majority of the money you decide to bring shouldn't be brought with you in person - and it might be a good idea to pre-book your accommodation on a site like Agoda before you leave especially if you're staying in the same area.
redfeather
Freshman Poster

Post by redfeather »

Dragon,
Please go read my Cebu trip report I just posted under trip reports. Thanks.
Retired Army Colonel (Combat Arms)
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

A famous pursuer of Russian women, Brad Sharp (considered by a certain group of such Russian-women chasing American men as being a creep on the same order as Winston, hence the old Yahoo group "Wooweasel", LOL) always recommended that a man get a pro upon first arriving so as to clear his mind.