K1 Chinese Women, Driver's License In America

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Paul
Freshman Poster

K1 Chinese Women, Driver's License In America

Post by Paul »

My girl and I will be starting the K1 visa process later this year. One question she has is if it is possible to obtain a driver's license in the US (WI) before getting her green card. After looking into it myself I know they are unable to get an international driver's license in China, which is a quick fix for some other countries. She does have a translated driver's license and is able to drive when visiting here as a tourist. (she has a tourist visa currently) I am not sure if that translated drivers license would work here if she was here on a K1 visa though.... If anyone has insight it would be appreciated.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Re: K1 Chinese Women, Driver's License In America

Post by CannedHam »

Paul wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 3:13 pm
My girl and I will be starting the K1 visa process later this year. One question she has is if it is possible to obtain a driver's license in the US (WI) before getting her green card. After looking into it myself I know they are unable to get an international driver's license in China, which is a quick fix for some other countries. She does have a translated driver's license and is able to drive when visiting here as a tourist. (she has a tourist visa currently) I am not sure if that translated drivers license would work here if she was here on a K1 visa though.... If anyone has insight it would be appreciated.
Tough to answer as it's state dependent. She should be able to just "transfer" her international license by taking the road/written test. Some of my wife's Chinese friends who never had licenses had to go through the whole drivers ed/permit/written test/road test hassle. Again, depends on the state. There also may be some hiccups until she gets an SSN.

Best bet would be to call or visit the DMV.