Dating and/or marriage to a Korean girl versus a Filipino girl

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Dating and/or marriage to a Korean girl versus a Filipino girl

Post by Adama »

Horahngee wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 10:42 pm
My mom now wants me to again, go back to dating Korean girl, and now wants me to marry a Korean girl.

It's because of some issues that happened between my ex-GF, who happens to be a Filipina, where she and her friend (a former co-worker of mine) talked a lot of stink about me to my current GF and my GF's older sister.

What are some of your guys' opinions or experiences dealing with Korean girls and Filipinas (the ones in the Philippines).
That's one thing that concerns me about certain communities, not just Filipina but even South Asian-Indian communities. Despite however many people there seem to be in the community, it always seems like they all know each other somehow. If I had one, I'd have to find one who was ex-communicated, or who simply doesn't subscribe to the groupthink mentality.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

CannedHam wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 2:36 pm
My wife is mainland Chinese so I can't comment specifically on the wife material of Filipinas vs Koreans, but I have, in general, found Filipinas to hold some of the most uneducated attitudes towards life. No desire to "get ahead", hustle, or bust ass for the family. Their lives seem to revolve around dancing/karaoke, soap operas, gossip, and church.
Wow, you must have had a bad experience with a Filipina in the past. Yeah, I can kind of see what you're saying. I grew up in Hawaii, and most of the Filipino's I have met there had that slack-off type of demeanor. However, I do know of the immigrant Filipinos who do bust their asses and unfortunately, work as janitors or house keepers. However, they save up money for their children and yes, save other money/funds to wire back to the PI.
Go to any hospital - almost all the Asian nurses are Filipinas, but the Asians doctors are Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese and so on.
WTF? All the Asian nurses are Filipina's in a hospital? I take offense your assumption because I'm mixed Korean and Japanese-American, and I work as a registered nurse at a hospital too. :evil:
How many Korean, Japanese, Chinese immigrants do you see working in hotel/waiter/cashier positions 10+ years after their arrival to the US? Hardly any - they all either started their own business or studied to get out of these dead-end jobs.
Riiight. I know a lot about the Korean community in the Los Angeles and Honolulu area. Yes, Koreans and Chinese tend to be very entrepreneurial people where they open up their own businesses, whether it's a sushi shop, some kind of restaurant, a hotel business or phone sales business. What you don't know is that some of these Korean business owners end up committing suicide because they took out a lot of money for loan and cannot pay it back to the bank. Yes, I have heard of two real story incidents in Honolulu where a Korean restaurant owner committed suicide because he took out so much loan for his business (and who knows...he might have had a gambling addiction too) and could not re-pay his loans.

And you ask how many Koreans, Chinese and Japanese work in the hotel industry? I don't know about where you live Canned Ham. But in Honolulu, I see a lot of Japanese immigrants working as concierge people in the hotel industry. Same for Korean immigrant people too.
You'll also likely be shaken down for $$ to support the whole family in the Philippines -a huge strain and sore point for many marriages. I don't know how common this is in Korean culture.
Yeah, that is one point that my mom really dislikes my Filipina girlfriend Grace, and does not want me to marry her.

Grace's family is middle class where her mom is a school principal and dad is a retired police officer (gets his monthly pensions). However, I don't know if I will have to support the family in the near future.

In Korean culture, at least from what my mom told me, the oldest child in the family, if he or she is married to a foreigner, usually must support her parents financially.
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

Adama wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 11:32 pm

That's one thing that concerns me about certain communities, not just Filipina but even South Asian-Indian communities. Despite however many people there seem to be in the community, it always seems like they all know each other somehow.
Yeah, I hate it when people are tight-knit within their community.

My ex GF "J" and my ex co-worker, the nerve of them to act immature and to start sending derogatory and slanderous message about me, to my GF. But at the same time, I made a dumb mistake of keep communicating with "J" which made her think that I was still interested in her. I was basically leading her on, and she got shell-shocked when her friend (the nasty ex co-worker of mine) found the photos of my and my GF, taken in the Philippines.

Adama, are you South Asian/East Indian by any chance?
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I'm Chinese and definitely a slacker that likes to enjoy life at a slow pace, and I've been unofficially excommunicated by the extremely greedy and status-obsessed overseas Chinese community in Vancouver. I'm at odds with the 'bananas' as well. I see far more people in mainland China who are chill and without much of a desire to 'get ahead', but unfortunately this is changing.

It's really sad how much of developed Asia is preoccupied with success in "education" and work, much more than the mainland. Now that I'm about to graduate from college (finally), I freely admit that I regularly made things up to get extensions, and that I regularly cheated during tests by exposing a very obvious loophole: No cameras in the washrooms=easy cellphone access to the internet. I honestly see nothing wrong with cheating in the formal education system because from a purely practical perspective, it's the end goal of a diploma / degree that counts, and it's not like we actually learn much at all. I've failed subjects, and it's a half-miracle that I got into uni in the first place, having to use my 'connections' with some teachers to either do extra credit or for them to simply raise my marks.

Imagine a group of Koreans, Japanese, Taiwanese, or Singaporeans marching in perfect formation, dressed in school uniforms and business attire, chanting "study hard!" and "work hard!" over and over again like a brainwashing mantra. I'd like to see that, it would be entertaining.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Horahngee
Freshman Poster

Post by Horahngee »

Bao3niang wrote:
March 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm
I'm Chinese and definitely a slacker that likes to enjoy life at a slow pace, and I've been unofficially excommunicated by the extremely greedy and status-obsessed overseas Chinese community in Vancouver. I'm at odds with the 'bananas' as well. I see far more people in mainland China who are chill and without much of a desire to 'get ahead', but unfortunately this is changing.
Hey Baoniang. It is interesting that you have stated that mainland Chinese people are chill and lack desire to get ahead. Because I have studied a lot with Chinese, but mainly those from Guangdon and Canton area, and they are really really ambitious people. I also see a lot of Chinese immigrants moving here to the Seattle area buying up a lot of properties and a lot of the expensive homes on the east side of town.
It's really sad how much of developed Asia is preoccupied with success in "education" and work, much more than the mainland.
It really is sad. S. Korea, since my mom is from there and I have traveled to there a lot, is heavily obsessed with materialistic garbage, such as education, what kind of car you drive, where you grew up, etc. Very stupid. You can hear parents boasting that their son is a plastic surgeon or an attorney. Funny thing is doctors in S. Korea get paid a lot and are well respected. Don't get me wrong. Doctors/physicians here in the US are respected and it still is a respected profession. But regular family practice MD's here in the US don't make that much money,....compared to their specialized counterparts who are dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons, radiologists, etc.

Attorneys are also "highly respected" in Korea. however, here in the US, attorneys are viewed as snakes/liars who ask for money from their clients and some of them are lazy ass people who don't do their work or research for your cases.

I just find it really funny (and stupid) that certain professions in Korea area viewed with awe, where as the same professions (i.e. doctor, attorney) here in the US are viewed with greatness, but at the same time, are criticized at certain angles from Americans here.

Imagine a group of Koreans, Japanese, Taiwanese, or Singaporeans marching in perfect formation, dressed in school uniforms and business attire, chanting "study hard!" and "work hard!" over and over again like a brainwashing mantra. I'd like to see that, it would be entertaining.
That would be a circus if you have Korean, Japanese, taiwanese, singaporeaons marching for education and study garbage. Typical bee hive mentality that plagues Eastern Asian nations.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Hey Horanhgee, thanks for your reply. By 'mainland Chinese' I am exclusively referring to non-immigrants and not those professionals / aspiring professionals or entrepreneurs in larger cities. I am referring to your average mainland Chinese from an ordinary family. Of course there's still variation, but even now I still find more laid-back people in China itself compared to your average mainland Chinese immigrant. Yeah, in much of "developed" East Asia and among East Asian immigrants (tiger parents) if their son or daughter takes up a "prestigious" profession it's viewed as a great success on the parent's part. I find the mentality nothing but atrocious. Most doctors aren't in the medical profession because they want to save lives. And lawyers / attorneys are more or less crooks. These highly "respectable" professions tend to be most suited for people with psychopathic tendencies, which I am not. It's very easy for psychopaths to get away in the modern world due to the disconnect and extremely fast pace of living, they can move from target to target undetected. In an ideal state of things, like a small community based anarchy without a monetary system, their bad reputation would be more likely to spread by word of mouth.

Despite the emotional abuse I've suffered from my heck of a mum, I'm still glad she was never a typical tiger parent. In fact, she was neglectful more often than not, and if I had to make a hard decision between abuse vs. neglect I'd choose the latter. I endured a mix of both. She projected unresolved emotions from her failed, loveless marriage onto me. Every time she went hysterical in front of my face, she wasn't really targeting me but my (biological) dad, but she did it in the way as if I directly made her feel in those ways.

Anyway, back to the topic. The developed Asian countries are suffering from extremely low birth rates, and foreign immigration certainly isn't a solution because it would create even more issues. I recall someone making a thread on this forum about how the S. Korean government is "forcing" students to date, but they just don't get the root of the problem, which is a twisted modern society backed by some remnants of traditional but undesirable values. No government incentive is going to help. In Singapore, youth who start families are also given government benefits (or so I've heard), but the same applies.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!