Has anyone considered North Korea?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Has anyone considered North Korea?

Post by MatureDJ »

It seems that the women there are well-behaved and probably would look upon a white man as something very special. Of course, dealing with the hassles of life there could be monumental.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Has anyone considered North Korea?

Post by Cornfed »

I'm pretty sure they discourage immigration and race mixing.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Wait until the regime falls otherwise you would likely be jailed and used as another one of the many negotiating pawns for the regime.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

MatureDJ wrote:It seems that the women there are well-behaved and probably would look upon a white man as something very special. Of course, dealing with the hassles of life there could be monumental.
MatureDJ, who in their right mind would even consider North Korea to find women ??!! This is one most isolated and dangerous countries in the world. In fact MatureDJ North Korea is also called the "Hermit Kingdom" with only China as an ally. While South Korea, Japan, and the United States as it's enemies. There are thousands of landmines on both sides of the DMZ (demilitarized zone) and over a million troops patrolling the border. As well as sea mines along North Korean waters. This is all because a peace treaty has NEVER been signed between North and South Korea after the end of the Korean War (1950-53). Therefore, the Korean peninsula will for the foreseeable future remain on a wartime footing (with the ballistic missiles, artillery pointed at Seoul, etc.). So MatureDJ, would you want to be caught up in the middle of that mess??!!!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Mature DJ, how could you have had enough interaction with North Koreans to know that their women would consider a white man to be something special, as opposed to a foreign white enemy?

I spent a year in South Korea. Some of the women there were very pretty, and some of the girls were interested in white men. But the culture was just so different. It was like it was homogeneous. Everyone had to think and act the same way, and as a foreigner, you couldn't figure out how they were thinking very easily. Some sweet Korean girl would be worth it for the right guy, no doubt. I had a friend who'd just married a Korean girl. He liked to have TMI conversations with me, probably because he was so thrilled at the constant stream of amorous activities they engaged in night after night that he wanted to tell someone. That sounded good, but I suspect you'd be as likely to find a Korean girl like that as a girl anywhere else.

From watching their TV dramas, it seems like a common stereotype that their households have a fierce matriarch who henpecks the husband. Maybe Koreans think that's funny and it doesn't depict reality. Some of the families depicted may have a man in charge of the home. That's fiction, for what it's worth.

I like Korean food, but it seems like an awful lot of their food tastes the same, a combination of leaks, garlic, and red pepper, maybe with a bit of fish sauce or other seasoning. Having a wife that cooked that for you all the time might be okay. But there are cuisines from other countries that are more varied. My wife isn't Korean, but likes Korean food and occasionally cooks it. But I don't eat a constant stream of Korean cooking and have garlic breath all the time.

But I've been talking about South Korea. North Korea is a different world. There is actually a religion they allow there, to worship the dictator. Otherwise, the state apparently tries to brainwash the girls with atheistic communism. If you get together with a North Korean girl whose been in the military, if news reports are true, there is a rather high chance she's been raped by a male officer. I'd imagine that was higher if she is pretty. I see pictures of girls with way too short hair from North Korea, though a lot of those are soldiers and government employees. Are there any women taught to be feminine from there? A woman with a communist ideology might even be more annoying than a woman with that annoying, and similar, radical feminist ideology.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Apart from mentioning how inaccessible the country is to outsiders, even their 'Communist' allies such as China, you'd honestly expect North Korea to be a good place for finding women? The average woman, or should I say, person there may be so brainwashed that...... yes, they may view you as 'the enemy'. North Korea's a scary place. We all know how decadent the modern capitalistic world is, but North Korea is an extreme on the other end. Neither is desirable. Go on YouTube and look up N. Korean children playing guitar. Surprisingly skilled for their age, but they have absolutely no passion, no soul when they make music.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Living in Japan, I know some people who were visiting there, even living in North Korea for business for up to 2 years.
There is also a North Korean community in Japan.

To enter by airplane via Beijing works well, and if you ALWAYS obey their rules, no problem. However they isolate you - they keep you away from any personal contact with ordinary people even in Pyongyang most of the time.

All foreigners are sent to some guarded hotels or foreigner-only compounds to live among other foreigners only, but long-stay foreign businessmen have permission to buy/rent a car and can drive around in the entire city of Pyongyang day and night and visiting some special shops/sightseeing spots/parks etc. - there were also delivery services - as a long-stay foreigner you can import what you need for your needs.

Some foreigners, you can check out with Youtube, are often Chinese visitors with excellent cameras, they make remarkably good pictures and videos about all and everything in North Korea. At the first look, North Korea does not look really that bad.

Keep in mind, as a foreigner have to pay for all in hard currency to ridiculous exchange rates - North Korea is not a cheap place at all for a foreign visitor or for long-stay.

North Korea, including the capital of Pyongyang, about 2.5 million people, is even for ordinary Chinese visitors, who can go easily over the border considered to be a seriously backwarded place and full with statues of their leaders, Chinese agree however the city is functioning 'somehow', there is some organization behind, a system exists but it is back by time more than 50 years.. something past Korean War times, Mao-times... it's however not a chaos place like somewhere in Africa, all is arranged, clean, peacefully.

Any move outside of the capital Pyongyang by yourself is not allowed, except some tours together with a 'guide', there are some places like golf club, beach, sometimes you can visit some other cities, but you can hardly meet and talk to people in general. Yes, there are some streets in Pyongyang you can walk there among the locals, but always somebody follows you, watching you. This is a police/dictatorship country.

----------

If you want to talk more openly to North Korean people, you better do so on the other side of the border in China, there is a significant number of North Koreans living there, some are legals, some are illegals. You will need some language knowledge - at least some Chinese or Korean or sometimes Japanese also works for simple communication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China–North_Korea_border
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandong
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why is north korea enemies with everyone? Whats their dispute about? Why dont they make peace?

Arent isolated small countries like that deprived of resources? How do they function?

Why hasnt the CIA arranged an assassination or coup in North Korea to take out their dictators and replace them with pro-democracy ones like the US loves to do? Lol

Btw one time i told a British expat in Angeles City that he looked like Winston Churchill. He then replied that i looked like the dictator of North Korea. Lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Has anyone seen the north korean documentary "axis of evil"? It exposes the US - zionist conspiracy and bashes both the US government and American culture as being morally degenerate and corrupt beyond reason. Its very good and exposes a ton of truth about America. I wonder why china doesn't make such documentaries. Here it is on YouTube. Its dubbed in English.

Axis Of Evil - Documentary Of Zionists, Israel, United States, Canada, Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUu7DhL86Js
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw how exactly do you get a visa to north korea? Whats the process? Is it hard? Whats the cost?

You would think they would create a tourist industry there. How else do they get their money?

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:Why is north korea enemies with everyone? Whats their dispute about? Why dont they make peace?
Arent isolated small countries like that deprived of resources? How do they function?
First of all it is a big mistake to believe that North Korea is 'isolated'. It is not.

It's border to China is open and the border to Russia is open too. People and goods are moving in and out all the time. There is air traffic, and shipping from some ports in North Korea.

What is not really understandable is North Korean politics. Under the grandfather it was more productive than South Korea, with the son - who was not a healthy person, but still under control of everything - it became a bit poorer - and now under the grandson, it declined strongly and I doubt if the grandson is still under full control - there are likely other people behind him.

Economically seen there is no reason to be poor for North Korea. It could be a large switching point for railway because of different tracks between Russia and China. It could be a meeting point for many businessmen and tourists.

There could be a lot of exchange going on with people and goods by ships between Japan and North Korea, both sides have ports and distance is short.

I understand that North Korea does not want to have anything to do with South Korea anymore, same can be said about South Korea where most people consider North Korea as something as a different country without any ambition for unification. This is a project for the far future.

What is difficult for me to understand is the hostility against Japan.
Up to the end of WWII Japan kept all Korea as a colony and many other countries like UK or France had colonies at that time in Asia. After WWII Korea was in a better condition than Japan which cities were totally destroyed. For sure Japan was not responsible for the Korean War from 1950 on, Japan had no military and no Japanese was fighting in the Korean war, which destroyed almost all of Korea.

It would be easy for North Korea to open up to Japan, there is even a North Korean community living here. It would greatly improve its economic situation... but so far - nothing.

After WWII, slowly all countries around regulated their relationship with Japan. Some issues might remain with China/Taiwan, with some island to Russia,
some rocks in the sea with South Korea - but generally Japan is OK with all neighbours except North Korea.
There is no progress at all - just waiting.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:Btw how exactly do you get a visa to north korea? Whats the process? Is it hard? Whats the cost?
You would think they would create a tourist industry there. How else do they get their money?
Plenty of money is coming in from mining industry, but also from manufacturing.
After goods are ready, they will be brought somehow over the border and are often considered 'made in China' - for mining, mountains have two sides along the border, what is Chinese and what is North Korean, difficult to say anyway.

Next to mention are North Korean overseas workers somewhere in Russia, or construction in Arab golf area etc.
There are also North Korean restaurants overseas, which staff is all from North Korea.
They all are poorly paid, most money goes to the NK-government.

-----
About tourism, their few hotels are often fully booked in North Korea.

You have to contact as a tourist some of these North Korean travel agents, you might book a tour there, either in a group but also as an individual traveller.

For example Uri Tours, Koryo Tours, Youngpioneer Tours. All are out on the internet for inquiry and booking.

Visa is no problem and border checks are reported as very lenient for foreigners, except mobile phones.

Taking pictures is restricted to a few places, but many do it nevertheless, and there are plenty of North Korean videos by travellers on the internet, every single station of the railway lines, new airport, etc. in any details.

Many tourists have now large zoom lenses on their cameras, picking out all and everything even when it is far away, the country is less in hiding as you might think.

Usually starting from Beijing ending in Beijing and not cheap at all. Some cheaper tours are starting in Dandong just over the border to North Korea, check out Young Pioneer Tours.

The question is if you want to spend money for that or if you prefer to travel around without being restricted in China.

Don't expect to be out anytime as you like, you are seriously restricted in what you are doing in North Korea.
You cannot go out from your hotel during night, cannot walk around alone only together with a 'guide' and so on.

I had many possibilities to go to NK, but never did. Really not interested. However some office staff I know personally from Europe spent up to 2 years in North Korea on business.

Here in Japan is a North Korean community with 10000s of active members, they all have contact to North Korea.

So again, all in all, NK is not so isolated as you might think.
For a tourist if you ask me, I would prefer to stay only in Dandong, in China next to the NK-border.
It is said, that plenty of legal and illegal North Korean are living there.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:Has anyone seen the north korean documentary "axis of evil"? It exposes the US...
Well, what to say?

Some Western countries under US leadership making North Korea worse than it is. North Korea is nothing but a poor country with a strange government system, however it is not chaotic, it is functioning 'somehow'.

It is not true for example that there are no cars in North Korea, every foreigner living there will agree there are many more cars in the streets of Pyongyang than ever before.

On the other side of the story of course, North Korean propaganda makes Western countries, with USA as enemy no.1 and followed by South Korea, much worse than they really are.

Both views are distorted.

Something however has to be changed with North Korea, this country has to open up to improve the living standard, but not like China, it is too big to be compared to North Korea. Opening up somehow similar to Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia maybe? Myanmar is also on its way to open up... or like Philippines - poor but open to everybody. A long way to go and political systems are moving slowly on in Asia.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan,
Do you have any idea why so many Koreans are in the Philippines? When i ask them they either feign ignorance or dont know. Wtf? How can Koreans there not know why Koreans are there? Seems odd. Doesn't make sense. Are they all hiding some secret they'd rather not talk about? Were they kicked out of Korea? Are they fleeing persecution? Any idea?

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:Yohan,
Do you have any idea why so many Koreans are in the Philippines? When i ask them they either feign ignorance or dont know. Wtf? How can Koreans there not know why Koreans are there? Seems odd. Doesn't make sense. Are they all hiding some secret they'd rather not talk about? Were they kicked out of Korea? Are they fleeing persecution? Any idea?
Maybe the Koreans don't all know all the other Koreans and don't know why other people showed up. You could ask, "Why did you come to the Filippines'?

If you are hanging out with sex tourists, they might not tell you the real reason.