Citizenship in Philippines and marriage to Filippino?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
traveller
Junior Poster

Citizenship in Philippines and marriage to Filippino?

Post by traveller »

I was just at a cool event in Cape Coral today, and one of the food vendors had Filippino food and a couple of Filippino women. Apparently, they told me that, if I were to marry a Filippino woman, I wouldn't exactly have to apply for citizenship in the Philippines. It is of my understanding that relocating to another country such as the Philippines requires a passport, a Visa, and applying for citizenship in that country.

It's really funny, too, but the ladies asked me if I was interested in moving to the Philippines, and I told them, if hypothetically I won the lottery, I'd be happy to relocate there. Like I said before, relocating to another country is immensely expensive. Plus I'd need a cargo ship to transport all my belongings from the USA to the Philippines, especially my collection of antiques. I also mentioned that I have autism and don't work, and I receive SSI from the United States Government. And apparently it seems, they mentioned something about keeping my benefits if I were to relocate to the Philippines.

I am quite a bit confused here.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Re: Citizenship in Philippines and marriage to Filippino?

Post by Zambales »

I don't think you'll get automatic citizenship just because you've got married to a Filipina. I think you'll need to apply.

As for bringing antiques over - I'd forget that idea. Showing signs of wealth in a Third World country and you'll be making yourself a target, so it's best not to create any unnecessary attention and that's advice I've heard from guys who have lived over there for years.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

traveller wrote:I was just at a cool event in Cape Coral today, and one of the food vendors had Filippino food and a couple of Filippino women. Apparently, they told me that, if I were to marry a Filippino woman, I wouldn't exactly have to apply for citizenship in the Philippines. It is of my understanding that relocating to another country such as the Philippines requires a passport, a Visa, and applying for citizenship in that country.

It's really funny, too, but the ladies asked me if I was interested in moving to the Philippines, and I told them, if hypothetically I won the lottery, I'd be happy to relocate there. Like I said before, relocating to another country is immensely expensive. Plus I'd need a cargo ship to transport all my belongings from the USA to the Philippines, especially my collection of antiques. I also mentioned that I have autism and don't work, and I receive SSI from the United States Government. And apparently it seems, they mentioned something about keeping my benefits if I were to relocate to the Philippines.

You still have to apply for a Visa eventually. You do have the privilege of staying for a year if you enter the Philippines with your wife as opposed to 30 days if you entered alone.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Never invest in such countries like Philippines, Cambodia or Thailand more than absolutely necessary. Keep most of your money and other valuables away from these countries.

If you are 35+ you can apply for a Philippine resident permit if you are willing to invest some money (which can be used to buy your own condominium)

Citizenship, forget about it and be ready in case of serious problems to leave anytime.
Like I said before, relocating to another country is immensely expensive.
If correctly done, it is not.

About cargo to Philippines, there are plenty of cheap cargo shipping services, check out for balikbayanbox
Wherever are Filipino overseas workers, there are shipping services to bring back items from the host country to almost anywhere in Philippines.
For example:
http://manilaforwarder.com/
http://manilaforwarder.com/rresident.html

In Japan I am using Techno-Hi from Tokyo to Cebu to my Filipina foster daughter. Never anything missing. House-House delivery.
http://technohi.com/doortodoor/index.html
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

traveller wrote:I was just at a cool event in Cape Coral today, and one of the food vendors had Filippino food and a couple of Filippino women. Apparently, they told me that, if I were to marry a Filippino woman, I wouldn't exactly have to apply for citizenship in the Philippines. It is of my understanding that relocating to another country such as the Philippines requires a passport, a Visa, and applying for citizenship in that country.

There are multiple Visa strategies if you are married to a Filipina. The most popular are the Balikbayan Visa stamp and the 13a Visa. Citizenship is not only not required but difficult to get in the Philippines.