Not really Happier Abroad

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Not really Happier Abroad

Post by Yohan »

How many times did I write about when traveling to Thailand to make sure you are not running out of money?

What an idiot is this guy, really, what an idiot...

http://mashable.com/2015/10/19/thailand ... KAJYU0_Sq3
An Australian tourist has been arrested in Thailand after robbing a bank with a fake gun, all in an attempt to get enough money to fly home.

Zachary Cronin, 23, was detained on Monday after entering the Saphan Khwai branch of Thanachart Bank in Bangkok, wearing a floppy Billabong hat, a Guy Fawkes mask and goggles, and pointing a BB gun at tellers, Metropolitan police chief Pol Lt Gen Sanit Mahathavorn said, according to the Bangkok Post.

The staff handed over 170,000 baht (A$6600) but pressed the alarm button to alert authorities, including a police patrol inside the bank, the Thairath Online reported.

Minutes later, Cronin was caught in a dead-end lane next to the bank, according to the publication, and admitted to authorities he was trying to get enough money to buy a plane ticket home after spending all his cash.

He has been charged with robbery but a court date has not yet been set. In Thailand, robbery can result in a prison term of five to 10 years.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Re: Not really Happier Abroad

Post by Eightfold Path »

He's likely an HA member.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

No money and a floppy ... hat. :oops: :lol:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

What an idiot. Couldn't he have just waited for his visa to expire and been deported?
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Going to prison in Thailand is one of the most serious things that can happy to you in your entire life. It is no walk in the park. There are many books describing its horrors such as "12 years in hell". It is really unbelievable how bad it is in Thai prisons. You have to be out of your mind to break the law in any serious way over here.

Check here about the book
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

Call me crazy, but the fellow could have simply remained where he was until his visa ran out. Legally, he'd have to be deported. Because of this stunt he pulled, he won't be allowed in Thailand for the rest of his life (I'm assuming). Had it been Japan, he'd definitely not be going there again. They don't play with crime over there.