10 years in Thailand and still single

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
drronnie
Freshman Poster

10 years in Thailand and still single

Post by drronnie »

Why is everyone in Europe always assuming that anyone who lives in Thailand is either mmarried or has a girlfriend and cannot believe when one does not have a relationship regardless if voluntary or not
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: 10 years in Thailand and still single

Post by Yohan »

Most people in Europe (and in Northern America, Australia and some other Western orientated countries) have no idea how much the ordinary young Thai man is earning per month. By far too little to satisfy a woman financially. But this is in many countries, East or West, like that.

Thailand is a somewhat special case however in Asia, I never had such strange experience anywhere else.

It is the only Asian country I ever have been, where I NEVER met even one local woman, who did not ask me openly for some financial support after only talking a few sentences with her. Any simple funny conversation was ending into asking for money.

This was obviously always so - this behavior is supported by the family system, the mother and sisters of Thai women. It's about if you marry, give money to the family from where she is coming from. This was still OK in the past, as those women were virgins, first marriage, still depending on and strictly controlled by their mother, living with her, often forced to help in the house, the shop or with farmwork and had not much to say, no way for nightlife etc. - and if treated 'not so bad' by a nice man, they remained married and faithful over a long time, regardless if Thai man or foreign man.

However nowadays the situation is different against foreign men and as I heard even against local men. Any Thai woman is demanding money, even if she is divorced and has children already - asking for money, even if there is no discussion about marriage, just a boyfriend and a girlfriend.

This would be still OK, but nowadays Thai women do not have much moral feelings anymore, many of them are into nightlife - they find a new boyfriend or have multiple boyfriends already, and if the old boyfriend is forgotten and the money is gone... so what? And? Why should she care? Just moving on to the next man.

Thailand has a famous (or you might call it 'infamous') history of prostitution, why is this? There must be a reason for that.

I can confirm that hounting for money from men (any age, any nationality) offering sexual favors is not only done by Thai poor rural girls, but also by financially very well-off female college students and appreciated by her rich parents.

Considering marriage for a young man in Thailand without offering money is quite difficult. As foreign man from Western countries you can pay for the Thai girls, at least for a while, but if your income is based on a low Thai salary, it's quite hopeless.

Yes, it is possible after 10 years in Thailand to be still single, especially if your income is not an expat income, but those of a local male employee. My advice: Better save your money for something else than for women...

I also think, all this bride price system in Thailand is a thing of the past, it should be outlawed. It is a kind of prostitution, a kind of extortion of money from men and his parents to women and her parents.
DDuana
Freshman Poster

Post by DDuana »

Yohan wrote:Yes, it is possible after 10 years in Thailand to be still single, especially if your income is not an expat income, but those of a local male employee. My advice: Better save your money for something else than for women...
Oh? What do you have in mind, lol?
drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

I enjoy very much cheaper living here. There are lots of things to do and see. I think have hobbies or pets (like cats) would be a more worthwhile investment than women.
drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

I enjoy very much cheaper living here. There are lots of things to do and see. I think have hobbies or pets (like cats) would be a more worthwhile investment than women.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

DDuana wrote:
Yohan wrote:Yes, it is possible after 10 years in Thailand to be still single, especially if your income is not an expat income, but those of a local male employee. My advice: Better save your money for something else than for women...
Oh? What do you have in mind, lol?
Do you know the monthly income of a local Thai employee? It is much better for him to save his money for anything else instead spending it on women or otherwise nonsense like drugs. - Better save it, pay some loan for your own home, buy a motorcycle or if you can afford a car, travel around, make your room comfortable with some good furniture, eat something else and not only at a foodstall in the street, pay for a better health/retirement insurance and so on and so on.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Drronnie how can you stand to be in thailand so long on meager earnings with no real acheivement. Missionary or marrying someone is one thing but other than that I see no reason to be in Asia.
drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:Drronnie how can you stand to be in thailand so long on meager earnings with no real acheivement. Missionary or marrying someone is one thing but other than that I see no reason to be in Asia.
Actually I am quite happy here and do not paln to go anywhere here. Eventhough I do not earn so much but I am happy with my job and I can hold my life standard however if I were to support a wife and child it would not suffice. However there are local men who earn much less than me and have a relationship, but since I am half Caucasian I and up with women who expect expat salaries
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

drronnie wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:Drronnie how can you stand to be in thailand so long on meager earnings with no real acheivement. Missionary or marrying someone is one thing but other than that I see no reason to be in Asia.
Actually I am quite happy here and do not paln to go anywhere here. Eventhough I do not earn so much but I am happy with my job and I can hold my life standard however if I were to support a wife and child it would not suffice. However there are local men who earn much less than me and have a relationship, but since I am half Caucasian I and up with women who expect expat salaries
so then why are you happy if you have a substandard living and can never upgrade to a girlfriend or wife? At least in america everything is wonderful if you dont have a girlfriend.
drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

I do not have a substandard living as I go out to the movies, have 5 Star cuisine, ride a motorbike. Not a problem at all. It is only unsufficient if I have a wife and family because women nowadays have high expectations of haviong to have two cars and sending kids to a good private school.

Why live somewhere else where I have got no roots and Europe sucks.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

drronnie wrote:I do not have a substandard living as I go out to the movies, have 5 Star cuisine, ride a motorbike. Not a problem at all. It is only unsufficient if I have a wife and family because women nowadays have high expectations of haviong to have two cars and sending kids to a good private school.

your in a bad predicament cause you can't get what you want in the west but your wages are too poor to get a beauty queen in thailand unless she is p4p or a golddigging leech. I wont live in asia unless i have a high enough budget that is way above the average local salary. and 1300 bucks/month which is a good target for me is way above the average salary.
drronnie
Freshman Poster

Post by drronnie »

Well being a low earner I guess I am under the radar of the gold digging leeches as well :)
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
drronnie wrote:I do not have a substandard living as I go out to the movies, have 5 Star cuisine, ride a motorbike. Not a problem at all. It is only unsufficient if I have a wife and family because women nowadays have high expectations of haviong to have two cars and sending kids to a good private school.

your in a bad predicament cause you can't get what you want in the west but your wages are too poor to get a beauty queen in thailand unless she is p4p or a golddigging leech. I wont live in asia unless i have a high enough budget that is way above the average local salary. and 1300 bucks/month which is a good target for me is way above the average salary.

Don't english teachers in Thailand make 1000+ a month? (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Too bad you can't buy real estate in Asia as a foreigner.. You can always be a landlord/property manager and make income from rent.. But it's not allowed, I don't think.
DDuana
Freshman Poster

Post by DDuana »

Yeah. I am of the same opinion. What is the point of staying in Asia if you are not chasing tails? You can do everything else you do there in America and have much better job opportunities. And then you can save up and visit Thailand for the fun and sun.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Chrissays wrote: Too bad you can't buy real estate in Asia as a foreigner..
This is not correct.

Any foreigner - even a tourist - can buy condominium units in Thailand and Philippines in his own name, as long as it is paid with foreign currency.

Foreigners can buy 2 x LAND/House in residential area in Malaysia, but there are some visa requirements (retirement etc) - not so cheap, but possible.

Foreigners can buy condominium units in Japan easily, if they are NOT tourists and are holding permits for more than 1 year - foreigners, who are long-term residents can also buy land/house in own name.