Final preps!!: China Visa And Other Questions Thread

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Final preps!!: China Visa And Other Questions Thread

Post by droid »

Alright guys, I wasn't sure if I should open a thread for this.
I hope it's not #987613 on the subject, but I scoured through the guides and couldn't find this.

I have a couple weeks left on my job, and then I'll probably go to South-America for a few weeks before finalizing the grunt-work for China.

I'm still trying to decide the type of entry I'll make in the mainland, as I want to enter a University to study Chinese at least for a semester.
But most classes won't start until February, so let me ask you:

1)
Is it possible to obtain a Tourist-visa that lets you stay for more than 30 days, by showing sufficient funds in your bank account or similar leverage?
I wanted to avoid having to run for extensions while in unfamiliar ground. I asked this same question to one of those visa agencies but they never replied.

2)
Is it any better to apply for said visa in person at the consulate, in order to have a better chance of getting a longer stay period?
I'm probably be going to Texas soon, so I have a good chance to do this.

3)
Is it better to be currently-employed at the time of application? Since I'm leaving my job soon, it's a concern.

4)
I had a 1-year multi-entry business visa a couple years ago through my employer (that was the nice trip I always talk about).
How much can this precedent help in getting a better deal this time around?

5)
I've read that you can change from a tourist to a student visa once you register at the university. Can someone please confirm?

6)
The reason I will study, instead of doing English-teaching type of stuff is that I really need some time off, I'm really sick of putting 12-hour days at work here (but i'll probably still write my pet-project code lol).
As far as Universities go, I've looked at several possibilities and found this page called "cucas"

http://school.cucas.edu.cn/course?sid=189&tag=0-8

is this cucas page trustable?

7)
I think Jinan university looks like the more convenient. I really don't care that much about quality, as I'm pretty autodidactic anyways.
The whoole thing is just more of an excuse for the move and to have an 'operating base' :wink:

Xiongmao, I hope you read this.
Is this the kind of thing you did? or did you attend another type of institution?
What do you think of the prices?
You mentioned they didn't care that much when you didn't show up, does this apply in the formal unis?

Thanks for any insight guys,
The whole thing is approaching fast!!. It's nerve wracking, between preparations, final projects at work, and a ton of other commitments.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Bump.

Anybody? :(
At least tell me if the questions are stupid; or somewhere to look, I haven't found definitive sources on this.
Should I move this to the Questions and Advice section?
Thanks.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Final preps!!: China Visa And Other Questions Thread

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote:1)
Is it possible to obtain a Tourist-visa that lets you stay for more than 30 days, by showing sufficient funds in your bank account or similar leverage?
I wanted to avoid having to run for extensions while in unfamiliar ground. I asked this same question to one of those visa agencies but they never replied.
I thought you got 90 days on a tourist visa. Has that changed?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Thanks CF. I think there is a general confusion between the validity of the Visa (i.e. the window when you're supposed to first travel) and the actual stay-time allowed; This is usually not well conveyed.
It seems it's 30-day-stay by default.
KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster

Post by KokujinKrusader »

You can get 90 days for a single stint, or you can get up to 60 days if you have a multiple entry visa. You get 90 days automatically with the US passport in Japan and Taiwan, and I think that it's 30 days in South Korea.
Grand Admiral Game taught me how to improve my mindset in order to achieve the success that I wanted in life!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Final preps!!: China Visa And Other Questions Thread

Post by zboy1 »

droid wrote:Alright guys, I wasn't sure if I should open a thread for this.
I hope it's not #987613 on the subject, but I scoured through the guides and couldn't find this.

I have a couple weeks left on my job, and then I'll probably go to South-America for a few weeks before finalizing the grunt-work for China.

I'm still trying to decide the type of entry I'll make in the mainland, as I want to enter a University to study Chinese at least for a semester.
But most classes won't start until February, so let me ask you:

1)

No. Single entry tourist Visas are up to three months, double entry Visas are two months. If you want to stay longer than that, you will need a work Visa (Z Visa), a business Visa (F) or Student Visa (X Visa). It doesn't matter if you are a millionaire, you won't get in to the country without a proper Visa--and you won't get extended without a proper reason e.g. work, business, studying and teaching, etc.

2)
Is it any better to apply for said visa in person at the consulate, in order to have a better chance of getting a longer stay period?
I'm probably be going to Texas soon, so I have a good chance to do this.

It doesn't matter; I use an agency to make the process faster but you won't get an extended Visa either way.

3)
Is it better to be currently-employed at the time of application? Since I'm leaving my job soon, it's a concern.

I was unemployed at the time I applied for my first Chinese Visa, so no, it doesn't matter.

4)
I had a 1-year multi-entry business visa a couple years ago through my employer (that was the nice trip I always talk about).
How much can this precedent help in getting a better deal this time around?

The Visa process will go much faster than before, because the Chinese embassy will already have a file on you.

5)
I've read that you can change from a tourist to a student visa once you register at the university. Can someone please confirm?

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php ... tudy-visa/

6)
The reason I will study, instead of doing English-teaching type of stuff is that I really need some time off, I'm really sick of putting 12-hour days at work here (but i'll probably still write my pet-project code lol).
As far as Universities go, I've looked at several possibilities and found this page called "cucas"

http://school.cucas.edu.cn/course?sid=189&tag=0-8

is this cucas page trustable?

I don't know?

7)
I think Jinan university looks like the more convenient. I really don't care that much about quality, as I'm pretty autodidactic anyways.
The whoole thing is just more of an excuse for the move and to have an 'operating base' :wink:

Teaching at a university is usually a good idea...
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Thank you so much guys! :)
You can get 90 days for a single stint, or you can get up to 60 days if you have a multiple entry visa. You get 90 days automatically with the US passport in Japan and Taiwan, and I think that it's 30 days in South Korea.
No. Single entry tourist Visas are up to three months, double entry Visas are two months.
This is where the wording gets confusing. Is the 'stint' 30-days? Why would you get a larger window (3M) to do a single stint than you get (2M) to do multiple-stints? Weird.

They say (still under L-tourist)
"Visa Validity and Duration of Stay
Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry "L" visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa will be expired and is null and void. Normally the duration of stay of a "L" visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry. If your estimated stay in China is longer than 30 days, please make it clear in the application form and ask for the Visa Officer's approval when you submit your application..
"

But then it's up to the officer 's arbitrary choice? I would think what you state in the form should have some effect. That's why I was wondering if showing that you have funds for 90+ days would help.
Teaching at a university is usually a good idea...
Makes sense, can probably kill two birds with one stone and get some cash at the same time.
Can this be done under the student-visa or do you have to convert to a work-visa?
How many hours per week is the minimum? I really don't look forward to being too tied up to another job right now. I'm freaking burned out :roll:

Thanks again