Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Taco wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Taco wrote:
Ghost wrote:
MarcosZeitola wrote:
I didn't lose that $1000 to a scam. It was a robbery by my gf's brother. Her f***ing brother. I expect taxi drivers to be assholes, expecting 1000 php to take me 5 kilometers. But if you can't trust your gf's family? That is extreme degeneracy. Just like Ladislav said. I've told you how psychopathic and stupid my ex-gf's brother's actions were and you are still making excuses because he is a little brown asshole. f**k off.
You won't be able to trust your girlfriends family, that's true. You should have stayed in a hotel to avoid them. If you live in the Philippines with your Filipina its recommended you move to another city far from your wives family because they will cause lots of problems for you.

I had problems with my wife's brother too. When he's not drunk, high on shaboo(meth) or gambling he enjoys lying, cheating and stealing in his spare time. I noticed we didn't make much money the days he worked in my wife's Sari Sari store so we stopped asking him for help. Then one day he decided it would be a good idea to charge me for 6 months back rent because he was a part owner of the house we were living in at the time, there was no rental contract. That's when I lost it.

Important safety tip, its not a good idea to start yelling or accuse Filipinos of cheating you because they will kill you if they get offended. I've seen it happen. Just walk away smiling if you can. Your in the Philippines which means you have to deal with your problems the Filipino way.

Just remember, everyone gets ripped off in the Philippines at some point. You try to keep it to a minimum but you know its going to happen. The bitch at Philippine airlines tried to charge me $200 to change my flight when it only cost $.25. A few months later that Philippines airline office closed down for some strange reason.

They always charge me 200 dollars to change my philippine airlines flight date. Thats the standard fee PLUS whatever the ticket price difference is. One time i got charge almost 600 dollars to change the return date abd add a 3 month extension. Only 300 bucks less than if i had bought a brand new one way ticket home LOL
Your getting scammed, their lying to you. The cost to get the flight changed is only 10 pesos. Air Canada only charges $50 to change a flight. You can get a return flight from Cebu to HK for less than $200. $200 is a months salary for the sales people at Philippine airlines.

The bitch at Philippine airlines told me Air Canada charges $200 to change my flight. I knew she was lying because Air Canada only charges $50 because I had it done before in China. I went to get the money to change my flight and when I came back a different cashier helped me and only charged me 10 pesos! I was really mad but they had armed security guards at the office so I just walked away without saying anything.
The rules and penalties for changing return dates on Philippine Airlines and other airlines (such as China Southern) frequently change. I know this because I actually book my return flights from Taiwan to USA west coast the old school way (through a Taiwanese travel agency I've been dealing with many years). They are totally honest and will tell me what if any date change penalties apply to each option before I book. Often, I use Philippine Airlines or China Southern cus they seem to have the best deals.

Both of these airlines have not been consistent. It seems to depend a lot on a lot of things (time of year, type of promotion they are offering, current policies, etc.) I'm always going for the bargain tickets (around NT$26,000 - 30,000 or US$86001,000) for Taipei-USA (west coast)-Taipei. Sometimes these are offered with absolutely no change of date penalties while at other times, change penalties amount to US$100-200. I always check with my agent before I book the ticket cus this is a big factor in my decision since flexibility is important to me and I sometimes will go for the somewhat more expensive airline if it offers flexibility.

I've had the same experience in the past with other airlines, even just for flights between Taipei and Bangkok. KLM used to offer total date change flexibility. Then they stopped that. Now the flight doesn't even exist anymore. There seems to be no consistency with airlines, policies, and travel destinations. Spirit of Manila then Air Asia had very cheap flights between Taipei and Clark. Without notice, both got cancelled. The whole situation with airlines seems to be in a constant state of flux.

Yes, don't yell serious accusations at locals in provinces of Philippines or anywhere there! Same goes for Thailand.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

hammanta wrote:
davewe wrote:
ladislav wrote:I've noticed one interesting thing. If an American guy goes to the Philippines ( and Thailand)and gets ripped off and then expresses his frustrations online, he gets no compassion. He gets shat upon even more after that.
Certainly not quite true on Living in Cebu where one tale of woe begets a dozen others. There's guys there who post hundreds if not thousands of complaints. Of course they don't leave the country - can't imagine why not :)

Here's a story, for what it's worth. I am old enough to remember a time when people did not lock their doors - literally. In my suburban neighborhood as a teen no one locked their houses or cars. It seems like a different world. One summer there was a series of burglaries in my neighborhood, including our house. Paranoia swept the neighborhood and from then on everyone locked their doors.

This does NOT make the thieves not culpable. Of course they were. They still broke the law and did what society deems to be illegal and immoral. But that summer we learned at least a little bit about the need (and responsibility) to protect ourselves. When you go abroad you have to be an adult. You have to know that there are bad people out there and protect yourself. Just complaining after the fact when you didn't lock your door, euphemistically speaking, isn't enough.

So when I read those posts on Living in Cebu in the majority of cases, the guy was a dumbass, sometimes hysterically so. That doesn't make the liar/scammer/thief not culpable. But that also does not make the guy not a dumbass, which sometimes people point out. After being victimized, you can either complain about the injustice or change your own behavior. Guys who do the former end up being victimized often; those who do the latter, learn and grow.
I agree with you Dave. I liked your recent post about liars in the Philippines.

It happens everywhere it just so happens that you are a lot more out of place and don't know the system as well in the Philippines. We understand suspicious behavior in areas where we are familiar with the customs.

I go to DC all the time and people try and scam me since I'm white and I look like a tourist. I'm talking cab drivers as well as people just on the street. One guy came by when it was raining and said hey you want a free umbrella. When he hands it to me he said he's taking up donations for some cause. I said I don't have any cash so he took the umbrella back and walked away.

My brother was held at knife point in a bathroom in Chicago and robbed. I've worked with hispanics that have been screwed out of paychecks, or car loans, or charged more because they didn't speak English well. My wallet and brother's phone were stolen from the gym I go to. I've let people borrow cash and they've never returned it. My parents car was stolen when I was younger. I have gotten way over charged for auto repair work. Most of these have happened in rural small town America as well.

I can go on and on about stories here in America that people have taken (or tried) advantage of me or someone I've known. It happens in the Philippines to but you have to understand that it is a homogenous and poor society. Poverty breads this kind of behavior and since you stand out as a Kano, you have an easier target on your head. That doesn't mean that Filipinos in general are anymore prone to corruption.
As Ladislav has stated, Filipinos try this stuff on their own country people as well. Some of the people I know there are from well-off families and/or are well-off themselves. And it often shows in the way they look, act, or sound. Skin tone, height, clothes and accessories, accent, etc. are indicators used by locals to gauge the prosperity of other locals. Those locals who are perceived to be wealthy often get hit-up for loan or help requests just like Kanos do. They also get cheated and ripped off frequently if they don't take proper preventative precautions.

It actually seems to be acceptable not to trust others implicitly there. People are expected to steal if given the opportunity. Kind of like in certain strict areas of Middle East where men are expected to molest and rape women if given an opportunity where they wouldn't get caught. For example, the department stores in SM will have their in-house security give employees a through pat-down, frisking, and bag check whenever they exit the premises. When I've stayed with friends in the provinces, they've told me to keep my valuables with me (money and gadgets) when visitors came and were mingling about their house (parities, feasts, etc.).

You should create and apply some systems to lower your risk. Don't tempt others with low lying fruit. Think out what the possibilities are beforehand and take measures to prevent theft. In my case, my real valuables are just debit and credit cards, passport, smart phone, laptop, camera, and tablet. I never have much cash (just a few thousand Pesos). All the rest of my stuff is easily expendable (mostly clothes). The valuables are kept in one fairly small bag which I either personally guard by keeping it with me or hide and lock away depending on where I am (at home or out). And with the valuables, things need to be backed-up and photographed just in case. If you had been in Tacloban during instant floods, you might have lost everything if it happened to be on first floor.

Just because your gf and her parents are completely honest doesn't mean every relative (including brothers/sisters/cousins/etc) will be. Even the best of families may have their bad apples. However, I have found that the higher you go up the economic scale in which people you associate with, the lower the risk of petty types of outright theft are. Richer people, if they have moral issues, tend to go for more elaborate and sophisticated types of stealing.

Every country and region has it's issues. At least in most of east Asia, risk of unprovoked face-to-face violence is much lower than in say most of Latin America/Caribbean, or even ghetto zones of USA. That goes for even the Philippines which has many of the worst areas in Asia. If you want maximum safety and lowest scam risk, maybe Japan or Singapore is your best bet. Developed NE Asia in general is going to present very low risk. But guest what. Even in Taiwan, I get phone calls from time to time of Chinese speakers (often from mainland) trying to perpetrate various fraud schemes. If you read the papers, you will often read of cases where dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of locals there got scammed one way or another by these fraudsters.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Ghost wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
MarcosZeitola wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:some people hang around leeches because they only want sex from the woman. Has it ever occured to you guys.
No, but I'm sure it has happened to you because virtually all your posts are about exactly that. :lol:
No I meant the occuring thought in the discussion as to the reason thats why some guys wind up with leeches. Its because they want instant sex hassle free subconciously. They want a meal ticket and many foreigners want a p***y ticket.

For example Ghost met a girl right off the dating site and wined and dined the family with no intention of marriage. You could argue he was serious but as a guy that is not serious himself lets just be honest here, he knew the rules, he wanted sex and instant off the dating site and she gave it to him for a cost. A big miscommunication gap because he didn't realize he was dealing with a scammer/hoe. Sort of like with my bargirl who led me on pretending she loved me when she didnt. Thats what got me the most and to this day that bitch still plays an act so I can't talk to her. When a guy's ego is hurt its the worst thing and this girl made him think she cared about him and it wasn't about the money thats where things go wrong with women in philippines they play with the guys heart just to get money. Likewise guy plays with girls heart to get sex. I think what the women do is worse though cause the g uy may genuinely like the girl or he wont have sex with her. Women might as well hit up a banker if they only want money.
I was open to possibly marrying her at first, and later realized I couldn't. I told her and we came to an understanding, although I should've stopped things then and there. But she didn't want to break things off right then, so perhaps she did scheme to get money out of me. It was really harmful to return there when I knew the relationship had no future.

In the future, I will just use the women for sex and don't mind spending some money for it. So it won't be a problem again. They'll use me, and I'll use them.
it gets old if your with those purely using for money types. It depends on how extreme. for example ym bargirl was the best girlfriend ever in some ways she treated me like a king and did everything and the sex was amazing in so many ways. But only cause she was getting a paycheck and if it hat stopped she stopped. so lots of fights and jealousy and resentment ensued. I felt depressed. My current gf was the low hanging leech type but not a seasoned hoe like the other girl so it was more genuine. I just didn't feel in love with her and at the end of the day she would ahve gone with anyone also that had money it just so happenedt o be me on the roulette table that got to her first. I banged some other hoes and a scammer milf girl and at the end of the day i wasn't satisfied so i went back to my gf. I dont think i can deal with a professional hoe. If you get a nice girl who is poor and desperate she may like you but dont wind up putting a bargirl or a freelance prostitute off the dating site on the payroll you might not find it satisfying for your ego in the long run. and something bad could happen. imagine if you got a pro pregnant.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Ghost wrote:This keeps getting more and more f***ed up the more I think about it.

All those Filipinas on dating sites...All those Filipinas that say they "hate liars." My God. They really are looking for the most honest men.

That way they know they have the easiest prey.

My God, my God. It was always a lie. This whole planet is full of psychopaths. And they are relentless. They don't stop. They want everyone on this God-forsaken world to be like them.

Well, f**k. No where to go. No way out. I have nothing left to resist with.

It's not that some countries are worse than others. It's the species. It's just one big walking mental disease.

I knew this before...but now it is like I am understanding it for the first time. Men don't break until they lose all hope. It's the optimists who die first. I never had that rosy view of the world. I made it longer than many. Not that it matters, but I did.

Pyschopathy is the only way to make it in this world. And now it's global. You can't even live in this world without becoming it. No more treading water being one of the good guys.

I can see it with fresh eyes. Pumping and dumping is just the start. There's so much more to do from there.
Wow...Very Very true and Insightful...Thank You....You are actually the real good guy here...Its not your fault. What you did is natural for a good guy to do ...Trust & Belief in another human being...BUT now a days it has become a weakness to be exploited....As soon as you show honesty, be truthful and a good person overall......The world seeks to exploit you....aka Psychopaths.

Its NOT YOU....Its THEM...

...I don't wish you change yourself....Why should you? You are the good one here...Why should you change your NATURE....? Isn't it the Zombie's aka Psychopaths aka this world wants? ......yeah...It has become extremely hard to remain a good guy....Good guys seems are on the edge right now all over the world...It has become extremely toxic...

--------------

I'm from India, a much worse place than Philippines. The Psycopaths here are 10 times worse. I was born third world, saw scams and dishonesty all my life.

Philippines gives us this extreme emotions for some reason. The squeeze is much higher than even I have felt it in India which is far worse than Philippines in terms of dishonesty and general psychopathic population.

I think its the combination of women too...and easier dating option which India lacks. I have met dishonest people all my life, but for some reason, when it happens in Philippines...It effects my emotional state to a greater extent...The scams in Philippines effects me more for some reason than India which is worse...I don't know why...I had much worse time in Thailand with women and general discrimination against Indians etc...but things that happened in Philippines effected me the most.

I believe the scams when it comes through a women...effects us even more emotionally, however, I also had the best time of my life in Philippines as well...The emotions are extreme in Philippines.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

While growing up...I never ever thought my life would be so much effected by a small Island across the Pacific. I thought my life would be more influenced by those Olympic Medal Countries, The countries who are always on the news...Who would have thought just couple of decades back..It would be Philippines :)....a place quite frankly not known for anything..

There is no mention of Philippines in any folk lore, ancients texts of India. They talk about China, Japan, Africa, Europe and Americas...even Angkor Wat in Cambodia but not Philippines and its ways..

These Ancients Texts, The travellers Diaries could have warned us to prepare for an Island and their women ... :) ...Why no mention of Filipina Women in Ancient Texts?....They are the most enchanted women, even guys from America to Europe find their way to Philippines and all have their tales to tell..good or bad....

In any dating forum..The hottest threads are always Thailand or Philippines...These two countries seems to have the most hold on the hearts of men from all over the world. Its not about poverty, else, Indian women would be first as India is worse than Ph and Thailand.

-----------

I don't think its scams and money alone...As I said..I had much worse experience in India and Thailand but the emotions in Philippines effected me the most.

Even Nigerian Scams did not had the effect on me what I had in Philippines ....Even small small incidents made me hyper emotional both in good and bad ways.

I don't think we will have such a heated discussion if it involved Nigerian scammers. Its the place itself and the whole energy of women there both good and bad. It makes men go crazy both in good and bad form.

We have members who are extremely happy with a filipina and then members who are extremely unhappy. There seems to be no middle ground with a Filipina..Either you will love them to the extreme or hate them to the extreme.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Being Asian. I agree with the white guilt thingy.....Western societies are much more honest. It shows up in all the stats for development.

I know my own kind. There are few good Apples around...But I feel, that itself is a conspiracy of the dark forces to keep the good guys from seeing the whole truth :)

Good guys are soo nice that..out of even a million bad guys..if they find a single good guys around..They will try to balance it all.

Being from a third world country. I'm surrounded by scammers, however, there are drops of good guys too which makes it harder to judge an entire species and make up ones mind to do the thing...what if ..my change in nature could hurt the few good guys around....which I feel the darkness keeps in every country as a fail safe :)

Why can't all good guys be born at one place and all bad guys at another and done with it...

---------------------

It always comes down to.....Yes...There are scammers but good filipinas too...WHY?

Star Wars was so easy...You meet one guy from one species and you can tag the entire species as either good or bad and deal with it and move on...so simple and wonderful...

Like Zabba The Hut is a Bad Guy, Bad Species...Stay Away..You won't find drops of good Zabba The Hut Around.

I'm in a mix...I had bad experiences in Philippines from lots of people and also good ones from few but those were the best times of my life.

I completely agree with the OP...He is the good guy here...However, these few drops of good guys around in every third world country make me harder to judge a whole country as I don't want to hurt the few drop of good guys around who showed me wonderful time in their country. It would be unfair to them.

I would wish in every travel...We would meet either all the bad guys or all good guys...This mix of good and bad takes a toll on good guys soul eventually.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Array9
Freshman Poster

Post by Array9 »

Cornfed wrote:
Array9 wrote:A wise man once told me to only deal with people on your level or above. Your level could be mentally, spiritually, financially etc.
Wouldn't that mean you were dealing exclusively with unwise suckers not following the advice you just gave?
At one point in life, I thought I could help these people but I ended up only hurting myself.
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
Array9
Freshman Poster

Post by Array9 »

MrPeabody wrote:
Array9 wrote:Ghost,

A wise man once told me to only deal with people on your level or above. Your level could be mentally, spiritually, financially etc. Unfortunately, the family you dealt with seem to fall on the lower end of the scale. Take it as a learning experience. Deal with people who already have jobs.

As for the brother, he is a fool as you already pointed out. If he had an ounce of intelligence, he would have put some money away and opened up a Sari Sari store with enough money left over to help his family. :roll:
Of the few men who go to places like the Philippines looking for a real relationship, most of them are fools with little life experience or common sense. The very few who do have sense seem to come out with a wife and are happy. A middle class American isn't really sensitized to how horrible poverty is and what it can do to a person's character. Why would you spend 10 minutes around someone who only wants to milk you for money? . For some reason, the ego always likes to construct a story that it was someone else's fault. The ego wants to be right. The simple thing is to just acknowledge that you did it to yourself and analyze the situation to identify your weaknesses and errors in thought. That way you learn from experience and don't make the same mistake twice. If we don't have experience, we don't develop wisdom.
+1

It's the ego man. Some guys think that they can reform some of these 3rd world women.
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

If you tolerate no lie, tell no lie, demand th truth, stare into her eyes, you can get the truth.

The answer is not to become a poseur, a cad, a psychopath.

The answer is to dominate.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

+1

It's the ego man. Some guys think that they can reform some of these 3rd world women.

That and the fact that most of these westerners cant get women anywhere else on this planet

For me dating or doing these poor girls with no education, class or sophistication is not satisfying, makes you feel empty inside, kinda hard to explain coz you know instinctively that you are 10x better than her in every area and it is just that thing between her legs that gives her 'value'
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:
Jester wrote:
If you tolerate no lie, tell no lie, demand th truth, stare into her eyes, you can get the truth.

The answer is not to become a poseur, a cad, a psychopath.

The answer is to dominate.
Then you have to take the woman out of her country; she and scumbags will always have the advantage in their own country. Being dominant in the philippines could get you killed.
Interesting.

Bring your BA girl here to Baja?

Food for thought.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand”