Deciding which city to live in the Philippines...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Do you prefer living in Manila, Makati or Cebu City?

Manila
17%
Makati
8%
Cebu City
17%
Other
58%

Total votes: 12
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

GenYguy wrote:
Mr S wrote:Davao is safe but it's pretty lame if you are a single guy and want to have fun with the ladies and all that. I wouldn't waste your time there unless you have a steady GF or are married and want to raise a family in a decent environment.

If you don't want to be on the main island go to one of the cities in the Visayas. Bacolod area and the island it's on is pretty decent mix of stuff. There are Westerners around but not as many as on Luzon.
Can you explain why it's lame? Will N had plenty of fun in Davao...

I thought too that if I was on Mindanao I'd stand out to the girls there a lot more than on Luzon or the Visayas, because I hear there aren't many Westerners there.

Still haven't decided yet, still keeping an open mind...
Well, if you notice that particular discussion posting by Will the later half of it had been deleted by him. Those were posts where he was discussing how he felt Davao was not as fun as he initially perceived and he was getting bored with the place and also dealing with the mentality of the local women there, among other things. So a bunch of us on the board here started giving him some suggestions regarding what he could do there as an alternative to what he is doing and he just went mental and deleted all his posts concerning him being in Davao realizing it wasn't the place he initially thought it was but left his beginning posts when he though it was a totally awesome place and all that, which it isn't.

Davao or Mindanao for that matter isn't a place for newbies first coming to PI to visit, especially if you have no prior international Asian travel experience to begin with. After visiting Luzon and Visayan areas then one may consider visiting Mindanao cities. Being in Davao is like being stuck on an island, cause if you look like a foreigner you will stand out outside the city and all bets are off regarding your safety when you travel around outside of protected Davao. So in theory it sounds nice but like I said its better if you already have a Filipina GF or wife that can help you navigate the place if you want to explore more and potentially get you out of trouble if you run into it.

I don't know why newbies always read these other posts and think Davao is the place to go when there are numerous other posts stating the opposite, but they never listen to experienced foreigners living in PI just listen to the golly gee look at this place short time tourists who don't actually live in PI.

So go ahead go there if you want I don't care you'll just be another who ignores sound advice. I'm done commenting on Davao and Mindanao in general it's all been discussed in length in previous posts regarding the cons and pros. I suggest you review them all before making a quick decision like you are attempting to do.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Mr S wrote:
GenYguy wrote:
Mr S wrote:Davao is safe but it's pretty lame if you are a single guy and want to have fun with the ladies and all that. I wouldn't waste your time there unless you have a steady GF or are married and want to raise a family in a decent environment.

If you don't want to be on the main island go to one of the cities in the Visayas. Bacolod area and the island it's on is pretty decent mix of stuff. There are Westerners around but not as many as on Luzon.
Can you explain why it's lame? Will N had plenty of fun in Davao...

I thought too that if I was on Mindanao I'd stand out to the girls there a lot more than on Luzon or the Visayas, because I hear there aren't many Westerners there.

Still haven't decided yet, still keeping an open mind...
Well, if you notice that particular discussion posting by Will the later half of it had been deleted by him. Those were posts where he was discussing how he felt Davao was not as fun as he initially perceived and he was getting bored with the place and also dealing with the mentality of the local women there, among other things. So a bunch of us on the board here started giving him some suggestions regarding what he could do there as an alternative to what he is doing and he just went mental and deleted all his posts concerning him being in Davao realizing it wasn't the place he initially thought it was but left his beginning posts when he though it was a totally awesome place and all that, which it isn't.

Davao or Mindanao for that matter isn't a place for newbies first coming to PI to visit, especially if you have no prior international Asian travel experience to begin with. After visiting Luzon and Visayan areas then one may consider visiting Mindanao cities. Being in Davao is like being stuck on an island, cause if you look like a foreigner you will stand out outside the city and all bets are off regarding your safety when you travel around outside of protected Davao. So in theory it sounds nice but like I said its better if you already have a Filipina GF or wife that can help you navigate the place if you want to explore more and potentially get you out of trouble if you run into it.

I don't know why newbies always read these other posts and think Davao is the place to go when there are numerous other posts stating the opposite, but they never listen to experienced foreigners living in PI just listen to the golly gee look at this place short time tourists who don't actually live in PI.

So go ahead go there if you want I don't care you'll just be another who ignores sound advice. I'm done commenting on Davao and Mindanao in general it's all been discussed in length in previous posts regarding the cons and pros. I suggest you review them all before making a quick decision like you are attempting to do.
Well I haven't seen the negative posts about Davao on here.. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm not on this site enough.

So Davao isn't fun? I haven't been to Phils so I don't know what you're talking about, different mentalities between the women in Davao and elsewhere in Phils?

I have been doing video chat with a very cute girl in Davao online for a while now and I know she really likes me, I want to visit her in Davao first. If Davao really is so bad though then I won't stay there long. I'm not foolish, I know it's probably not a smart idea for a first timer to the Phils to live in Mindanao..

Which brings me back to square one, which city should I choose? What are the pros and cons of the main island (Luzon) vs the Visyas? Or if anyone could point me in the right direction to other threads that answer this question that would be great...

Also, this is not a quick decision for me. I'm taking my time planning everything and saving more money. I'm living with my parents so I have nothing else to do lol.

Davao still seems like a good place to live from all that I've gathered so far. Davao seems to be safe compared to everywhere else in Phils, there's no shortage of normal girls there, it's cheaper than all the other places that have been suggested, there's not much nightlife there but that doesn't really matter to me because I don't drink and I don't want to waste money at bars or clubs or P4P (at least not when I first get there). I'd rather spend it on normal dates with regular girls, at least at first until I learn more about the country. I've heard stories of guys who are newbies going to the top tourist flesh spots and getting taken to the cleaners lol, because they were green. After the hurricane in the Phils and seeing how it devastated Cebu, and Davao is not in the hurricane path, that's another reason. Seems to me that if you value your life and safety and want to play the day game/internet game with plenty of normal, cute girls then Davao might be the right choice... I think I've found more girls on DIA from Davao than even Cebu...
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Ugh, another that doesn't listen to experienced expats living in PI for a long time. Instead of just arbitrarily choosing Davao because you are talking to 'some cute girl" and you think its the safest, I would suggest since you don't have a need to be in any particular area then you choose either to initially stay in AC (Clark) Manila or Cebu area, that way you can hop on domestic flights easily and explore the other major cities before just choosing one like Davao and hope that's it all matches your wildest fantasies that you have been creating in your own head.

If in Manila or Clark (AC) explore nothern Luzon by bus and visit Baguio, Dagupan, San Fernando city (northern one) and up to Laoag at the top of PI.

Then either take a bus or fly to Naga city and explore that area.

From there fly to Cebu/iloilo/Bacolod and explore those island areas.

Then fly to either Cagayan De Oro or Davao and explore those city areas.

If you decide to use Cebu as your starting point then visit Iloilo/Bacolod areas first, then explore Luzon and choose Manila/AC(Clark) then branch from there from the info above. Always leave Mindanao last, its generally not as interesting as the other parts of Philippines and the women are better looking anyways generally in the Visayas and parts of Luzon.

Mindanao is way over rated and as I said for the umpteenth time better for guys that already have wives or GF's, then maybe its a better long term option than Luzon or Visayas, if your single head to central or north part of Philippines first rather than southern.

I'm not going to go into detail about every city, you look them up and see for yourself. But generally the young doesn't listen to the older and wiser generations anyways so go make the big mistake of going to Mindanao first then realize it after the fact.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Mr S wrote:Ugh, another that doesn't listen to experienced expats living in PI for a long time. Instead of just arbitrarily choosing Davao because you are talking to 'some cute girl" and you think its the safest, I would suggest since you don't have a need to be in any particular area then you choose either to initially stay in AC (Clark) Manila or Cebu area, that way you can hop on domestic flights easily and explore the other major cities before just choosing one like Davao and hope that's it all matches your wildest fantasies that you have been creating in your own head.

If in Manila or Clark (AC) explore nothern Luzon by bus and visit Baguio, Dagupan, San Fernando city (northern one) and up to Laoag at the top of PI.

If you decide to use Cebu as your starting point then visit Iloilo/Bacolod areas first, then explore Luzon and choose Manila/AC(Clark) then branch from there from the info above. Always leave Mindanao last, its generally not as interesting as the other parts of Philippines and the women are better looking anyways generally in the Visayas and parts of Luzon.

Mindanao is way over rated and as I said for the umpteenth time better for guys that already have wives or GF's, then maybe its a better long term option than Luzon or Visayas, if your single head to central or north part of Philippines first rather than southern.

I'm not going to go into detail about every city, you look them up and see for yourself. But generally the young doesn't listen to the older and wiser generations anyways so go make the big mistake of going to Mindanao first then realize it after the fact.
Ah come-on Mr. S, lighten up on the guy. At least Davao is quite, cheap, and convenient. First time I ever went there was also to see a girl who I had been corresponding with online and she made my trip great. The right girl can make all the difference and Davao is a decent place to have one fixed gf at least. So maybe he can go there first, let things play-out w/the girl, and then if and when things get boring, move-on to Cagayan de Oro, Cebu, or Metro Manila. As for Will N. Dowd, it was kinda an uphill battle cus he had to deal with so many time wasters down there. But even so, he managed to bed a dozen or so gals to his liking. So by the time he returned to Canada just before Christmas season, he was a happy man or at least satisfied.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Mr S wrote:Ugh, another that doesn't listen to experienced expats living in PI for a long time. Instead of just arbitrarily choosing Davao because you are talking to 'some cute girl" and you think its the safest, I would suggest since you don't have a need to be in any particular area then you choose either to initially stay in AC (Clark) Manila or Cebu area, that way you can hop on domestic flights easily and explore the other major cities before just choosing one like Davao and hope that's it all matches your wildest fantasies that you have been creating in your own head.

Thanks, that was a very elaborate roadmap. I will defer to your better judgement and experience then, I've read a few of your other longer posts and since you've lived in Phils for nearly a decade I trust what you say...

I appreciate your advice. It's exactly what I was looking for, a good map to follow for newbies like me.
Last edited by GenYguy on December 25th, 2013, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Rock wrote:

Ah come-on Mr. S, lighten up on the guy. At least Davao is quite, cheap, and convenient. First time I ever went there was also to see a girl who I had been corresponding with online and she made my trip great. The right girl can make all the difference and Davao is a decent place to have one fixed gf at least. So maybe he can go there first, let things play-out w/the girl, and then if and when things get boring, move-on to Cagayan de Oro, Cebu, or Metro Manila. As for Will N. Dowd, it was kinda an uphill battle cus he had to deal with so many time wasters down there. But even so, he managed to bed a dozen or so gals to his liking. So by the time he returned to Canada just before Christmas season, he was a happy man or at least satisfied.
That was actually my plan Rock, this girl isn't just "some girl" if I'm being honest. We met on DIA in October of this year, on our second YM webcam date I asked her if she wanted to be my long distance gf. She said YES. I asked her that because I wanted a gf in Davao lol. She is a very cute 18/yo. I told her I would be meeting other girls from DIA and she's also ok with it. She is in love with me without a doubt and doesn't want to lose me. : / But we have a good understanding. We had many more video chats and then became friends and in a relationship on Facebook. She eventually deleted her DIA account too, and even deactivated her main Facebook account and created a new one only for me and her closest (nearly all female) friends and family.

Should I visit her first and let things play out like you say? I could probably set a record for golden touchdowns with this girl. :D

I would like to keep this girl as my gf in Davao if she's a keeper, but I have to visit her in person first lol. She'd be on Mindanao so after I got bored I could go and have my fun on Luzon and Visayas. :D
Mystery Writer
Freshman Poster

Post by Mystery Writer »

Recap: you're 20, living with your parents and dreaming about the Philippines, right? May I suggest an interim plan:

1. Move out and get your own place here, before you emigrate to a foreign land.
2. Get used to paying rent, utilities and food bills when your SEO writing gets a bit thin.
3. VISIT the Philippines before you decide to emigrate.

Speaking to you now as a guy who 'emigrated' to California from suburban Baltimore County when he was 19, I would have been back home in no time flat if I didn't have a network of people to help me over the rough spots. At the very least, you need to have friends on the ground wherever you decide to move to in the RP.

HTH
Dash
Freshman Poster

Post by Dash »

I am 27 and recently spent 2 months in Philippines.

Cebu is hands down the best city all things considered.

Get an apartment around Ayala and you are set.

- Tons of girls

- Nightlife all week

- Beaches & islands for day and weekend trips

- Centered

- Less traffic

Only downside is the city will feel small after a few months and not running into girls / jealousy / drama will become a problem.