South Korea: Big Lover is watching you

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

http://www.theage.com.au/world/big-love ... 2r8la.html
Anywhere else, Park's dating woes might have been strictly personal. But in South Korea, fretful about plummeting birthrates but still tied to conservative ideas about matchmaking, solving the difficulties of the lovelorn has become something of a national priority. In perhaps the surest sign of that anxiety, the event he attended was one of dozens of dating parties nationwide sponsored by an unlikely matchmaker, the government.
Since then, sponsorship of the parties has shifted mainly to ministry affiliates and local governments, which can win financial rewards for activities that promote marriage and childbirth. The municipal government that threw the party Park attended has been named a role model by Seoul. One government-financed agency, the Planned Population Federation of Korea, claims a different kind of victory: By hosting parties, it is working to undo its past success when it encouraged vasectomies as a booming South Korea feared being held back by population growth.
Because a gov't policy isn't a success until it suc(k)s so bad, it has to be reversed with a subsidy. :roll:
Corporations, fearing critical shortages of workers in an ageing society, have begun ending informal bans against office romances, with some now paying for dating services for their workers.
The slaves aren't making replacement slaves, fast enough!
"Korean women are too picky with all sorts of criteria, including which college the guy goes to, and whether or not he has a car," said Yu Tae-hyeong, who set up the flash mob. Men, he said, are more concerned with women's looks.
A laundry list of must-haves? Where have I read about that, before? :roll:

Keep in mind, no man in South Korea has to deal with American divorce laws, blue knights, and kangaroo courts, etc., and yet fewer of them are "manning-up", too.
Maybe the men are not the problem? :wink:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

South Korean women have become 'American women with an Asian face." Sigh...It didn't always use to be this way. I remember visiting the country in the mid 80s, and the women weren't anything like what they are now. What happened...?

The men, too, have become demoralized and completely emasculated. South Korean men used to be thought of as tough and masculine, now all I see is feminine looking Korean men.

During the Vietnam war, the Vietcong were scared sh*tless of the ROK soldiers because they were known as brutal soldiers--and this was even acknowledged by some American soldiers during the War. What happened to that kind of masculine Korean man?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zboy1 wrote: During the Vietnam war, the Vietcong were scared sh*tless of the ROK soldiers because they were known as brutal soldiers--and this was even acknowledged by some American soldiers during the War. What happened to that kind of masculine Korean man?
The masculine, manly man have been left over in the villages as their women left for jobs in the city, leaving the men behind to tend to their small herds of hanwoo cattle, and looking at Vietnamese mail order bride ads.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

As well as trying to get more people to breed they are trying to get them to have girls to correct the gender imbalance by going around saying that girls are more loving and loyal to the family. This is nonsense of course, but since females are so suggestible, maybe perspective Korean mothers will eventually believe it. I wonder if they are really going to make it economically viable to have lots of children though. People complain about the negative effects of the depopulation agenda, but it still rolls on.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:As well as trying to get more people to breed they are trying to get them to have girls to correct the gender imbalance by going around saying that girls are more loving and loyal to the family. This is nonsense of course, but since females are so suggestible, maybe perspective Korean mothers will eventually believe it. I wonder if they are really going to make it economically viable to have lots of children though. People complain about the negative effects of the depopulation agenda, but it still rolls on.
Cornfed, I've never done the grammar/spelling cop thing online, but, since you're one of the most literate people I've encountered on any forum, thought you might want to know: The word is prospective, not perspective. Think you've done it twice now.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:Cornfed, I've never done the grammar/spelling cop thing online, but, since you're one of the most literate people I've encountered on any forum, thought you might want to know: The word is prospective, not perspective. Think you've done it twice now.
Thanks for that. I think what happens is that I misspell the correct word and then the text editor automatically corrects it to the incorrect word. I'm terrible at spelling and so have to rely on spellcheckers.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

zboy1 wrote:South Korean women have become 'American women with an Asian face." Sigh...It didn't always use to be this way. I remember visiting the country in the mid 80s, and the women weren't anything like what they are now. What happened...?

The men, too, have become demoralized and completely emasculated. South Korean men used to be thought of as tough and masculine, now all I see is feminine looking Korean men.

During the Vietnam war, the Vietcong were scared sh*tless of the ROK soldiers because they were known as brutal soldiers--and this was even acknowledged by some American soldiers during the War. What happened to that kind of masculine Korean man?
The entitlement issues of Korean women may be rising, but at least they aren't all fat butch lesbians who are angry at men.