Canadian Man Pays $3.3 Million Dowry to Marry Thai Chick

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Canadian Man Pays $3.3 Million Dowry to Marry Thai Chick

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Unreal...What a dumbass. Granted, he's been with the chick for 9 years and he's mega-rich, but still, giving a chick 100 million baht for the "privilege" of marrying her? Certainly doesn't seem like Alpha male behavior to me. Unbelievable.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/03/c ... 00-million

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Canadian Man Pays $3.3 Million Dowry to Marry Thai Chick

Post by Jester »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:Unreal...What a dumbass. Granted, he's been with the chick for 9 years and he's mega-rich, but still, giving a chick 100 million baht for the "privilege" of marrying her? Certainly doesn't seem like Alpha male behavior to me. Unbelievable.

Hmmm. He pretty much had to pay dowry or "sin sot". IMO the error is tactical. If he had closed the deal years back, maybe they would have been happy with a lot less -- before they realized how rich he was.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Jester wrote:
anamericaninbangkok wrote:Unreal...What a dumbass. Granted, he's been with the chick for 9 years and he's mega-rich, but still, giving a chick 100 million baht for the "privilege" of marrying her? Certainly doesn't seem like Alpha male behavior to me. Unbelievable.

Hmmm. He pretty much had to pay dowry or "sin sot". IMO the error is tactical. If he had closed the deal years back, maybe they would have been happy with a lot less -- before they realized how rich he was.
Jester - you never HAVE TO pay the dowry. Maybe if she were from a hi-so family I could understand this but she was a farmer's daughter. Totally unnecessary.

A guy is American (or Canadian)...he marries a Thai, her family wants a dowry. Using logic one would think that since he's American and it's not in his culture to pay a dowry, they might understand this or compromise (50-50)...but no...this is Thailand, man must pay for lady. Well, what about if they get married they move to the US? Then what happens to the money? Does he get it back? I know it is normal to get a good percentage of the dowry back but like I said, what happens if they don't live in Thailand? So he's supposed to follow Thailand's cultural guidelines to give him the honor of marrying a woman but she isn't supposed to pay a thing?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
Jester - you never HAVE TO pay the dowry. Maybe if she were from a hi-so family I could understand this but she was a farmer's daughter. Totally unnecessary.
Did you pay -- living in Thailand and all?
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Jester wrote:
anamericaninbangkok wrote:
Did you pay -- living in Thailand and all?
No...and I didn't have to use my logic either, fortunately.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

This is one reason why I love Mexico: dowries are not part of Mexican culture. Neither is alimony or any other sort of wealth transfer (dowries are simply a pre-nuptial wealth transfer, whereas alimony is post-divorce, but they are still both wealth transfers).

In other words, in Mexico there aren't a whole bunch of wealth transfer rituals. People meet, have relationships, get married, have sex, etc all without any sort of wealth transfer between any parties being necessary. This is yet another reason why I recommend Mexico over Asian countries: you will not be obligated to be any sort of "provider" beyond a basic requirement that you at least have a job and are not just lazy and sit around doing nothing.

I also hear about how Filipino families will constantly expect you to buy and buy and buy simply because as the American, you have the most money. In Mexico however even people who have little money are constantly trying to give me gifts, even if it's something as small as a cup of coffee. One of my friends who makes the equivalent of only about 50 dollars a week bought me the newest Juanes CD as a birthday gift several years ago, which was a major purchase for her since CDs cost more in Mexico than in the US (she spent about the equivalent of 20 dollars on that CD when her weekly wage is only 50...that goes to show you how generous Mexicans are, but the downside is that they usually have no savings and live paycheck to paycheck...the upside however is that credit culture hasn't taken over yet and despite having less money than most Americans, they also have virtually no debt since everything tends to be bought on cash).

I really need to include all these details in my "Ultimate Guide to Dating in Mexico".
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

This is why those kind of farangs who goes to Thailand are the real enemies.

They just want to continue their servitude to females and everything is possible with them.
They spoil what they touch,transforming humble girls into princess.

Many women in Thailand have understood how Western guys are quit weak so it's comprehensible that some Thai men are ignored now.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

AmericanInMexico wrote:This is one reason why I love Mexico: dowries are not part of Mexican culture. Neither is alimony or any other sort of wealth transfer (dowries are simply a pre-nuptial wealth transfer, whereas alimony is post-divorce, but they are still both wealth transfers).

In other words, in Mexico there aren't a whole bunch of wealth transfer rituals. People meet, have relationships, get married, have sex, etc all without any sort of wealth transfer between any parties being necessary. This is yet another reason why I recommend Mexico over Asian countries: you will not be obligated to be any sort of "provider" beyond a basic requirement that you at least have a job and are not just lazy and sit around doing nothing.

I also hear about how Filipino families will constantly expect you to buy and buy and buy simply because as the American, you have the most money. In Mexico however even people who have little money are constantly trying to give me gifts, even if it's something as small as a cup of coffee. One of my friends who makes the equivalent of only about 50 dollars a week bought me the newest Juanes CD as a birthday gift several years ago, which was a major purchase for her since CDs cost more in Mexico than in the US (she spent about the equivalent of 20 dollars on that CD when her weekly wage is only 50...that goes to show you how generous Mexicans are, but the downside is that they usually have no savings and live paycheck to paycheck...the upside however is that credit culture hasn't taken over yet and despite having less money than most Americans, they also have virtually no debt since everything tends to be bought on cash).

I really need to include all these details in my "Ultimate Guide to Dating in Mexico".
Let me know, I'll buy it.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Jester wrote:Let me know, I'll buy it.
I am currently writing it right now, and I will let you know when it's finished. Unlike that idiot RooshV though who goes to other countries and corrupts them with his PUA mentality and then writes detailed guides bragging about his sexual conquests, my guide will not be about mongering (no offense to E Irizarry!) as much as finding relationships. Unlike most other countries, it's very easy to live and work in the USA and still have a relationship with a Mexican woman in Mexico due to the fact that Mexico is a neighboring country and not thousands of miles away (unless you live in the east, and even then it's not as bad as having to go all the way to Asia).
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

AmericanInMexico wrote:
I am currently writing it right now, and I will let you know when it's finished. Unlike that idiot RooshV though who goes to other countries and corrupts them with his PUA mentality and then writes detailed guides bragging about his sexual conquests, my guide will not be about mongering (no offense to E Irizarry!) as much as finding relationships. Unlike most other countries, it's very easy to live and work in the USA and still have a relationship with a Mexican woman in Mexico due to the fact that Mexico is a neighboring country and not thousands of miles away (unless you live in the east, and even then it's not as bad as having to go all the way to Asia).
What are the odds of finding a pretty virgin in Mexico? I sent you a PM last year sometime but never received a response.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Adama wrote:
AmericanInMexico wrote:
What are the odds of finding a pretty virgin in Mexico? I sent you a PM last year sometime but never received a response.
It depends what age range you are looking for. You would most likely have to stick to a woman below the age of about 22 if you want her to be a virgin. Most women older than that are either already married or have lost their virginity to their boyfriend. I personally know of a few older virgins though but they are the exception rather than the rule. How old are you?
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

She's got big hands for that kind of cash outlay.