Is the NPA and Muslim problem bad in Davao City?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Is the NPA and Muslim problem bad in Davao City?

Post by zacb »

I know that parts of Mindanao and nearby are targeted, but what about Davao City? Is it pretty safe?
Last edited by zacb on March 3rd, 2013, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

As far I was told, and could see with my two eyes, Davao is absolutely safe. In fact, thanks to the Duterte mayors (father and daughter) Davao is now officially the safest city in the Philippines, and the one with the highest quality of life.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

publicduende wrote:As far I was told, and could see with my two eyes, Davao is absolutely safe. In fact, thanks to the Duterte mayors (father and daughter) Davao is now officially the safest city in the Philippines, and the one with the highest quality of life.
Davao is far safer than any number of American cities...the NLA??? I think you mean the NPA, (New People's Army).
Even in some problem areas of the Philippines, the NPA or MILF have not been targeting foreigners.

Now I would certainly stay away from Jolo or Basilan- but those are far from Davao.
That is the lair of the Abbu Sayyaf...a ruthless band of cutthroats. But Davao? Go and enjoy it.

Outwest
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

It maybe the 'safest' city in Philippines but I just didn't get an easy, laid back, relaxed vibe from the place. I definitely felt the tension that the presence of Muslims on the island has caused. You can't put your finger on it but there is something there.

Of course you have the ubiquitous armed guards and police and security at every corner and bank and mall and pharmacy and store which is so normal in Philippines but it never makes you feel safe, it just makes you question why there should be a need for so much 'security'.

I wanted to go travel to CDO and GenSan but was advised by a few people not to bother as it may not be safe. A country is not really safe if you can not just catch a bus or train to somewhere on your own with just your backpack like you are able to do say in Taiwan or Japan.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

ryanx wrote:It maybe the 'safest' city in Philippines but I just didn't get an easy, laid back, relaxed vibe from the place. I definitely felt the tension that the presence of Muslims on the island has caused. You can't put your finger on it but there is something there.

Of course you have the ubiquitous armed guards and police and security at every corner and bank and mall and pharmacy and store which is so normal in Philippines but it never makes you feel safe, it just makes you question why there should be a need for so much 'security'.

I wanted to go travel to CDO and GenSan but was advised by a few people not to bother as it may not be safe. A country is not really safe if you can not just catch a bus or train to somewhere on your own with just your backpack like you are able to do say in Taiwan or Japan.
In the Philippines you can always find people warning you not to cross the street as it may not be safe! LOL
I am in Cagayan de Oro a couple of times a week and it is about as safe as Davao. I do not know of a comparable size US city that is as safe generally as Cagayan de Oro. All the armed guards help keep it that way...it's just traditional.

An no, the Philippines is not as safe as Japan or Taiwan, and not nearly as boring either. If you want safety first, stick to the boring places.

Outwest
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

OutWest wrote:
ryanx wrote:It maybe the 'safest' city in Philippines but I just didn't get an easy, laid back, relaxed vibe from the place. I definitely felt the tension that the presence of Muslims on the island has caused. You can't put your finger on it but there is something there.

In the Philippines you can always find people warning you not to cross the street as it may not be safe! LOL
I am in Cagayan de Oro a couple of times a week and it is about as safe as Davao. I do not know of a comparable size US city that is as safe generally as Cagayan de Oro. All the armed guards help keep it that way...it's just traditional.

An no, the Philippines is not as safe as Japan or Taiwan, and not nearly as boring either. If you want safety first, stick to the boring places.
Outwest
I felt quite safe in Davao and CDO and would consider either, both as a tourist and as a potential place to live. Of course feeling safe is an emotion - every city in the world has some violence. The political strife in Mindanao is partly overblown, but under any circumstances not near Davao.
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

if you want to get kidnapped then I suggest Marawi city and Tawi tawi...lol

Davao is completely safe though
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

How long ago did you stay in Davao? I purposely spent two nights in a hotel in the old town centre of Davao to check out its (frankly quite limited) nightlife and ended up roaming some of the seedier streets of San Pedro past 2 in the morning. I saw some dirt, some rubbish sacks left here and there, and some poor men peacefully sleeping on the floor. The least safe encounter I had was a couple of ladyboys telling me I looked like Nicholas Cage and they would make "him" a great discount for their services :)

Not sure if I would venture to CDO as it's quite a few hours ride, but GenSan has the best seafood in the whole of the Philippines and if I lived in Davao I would hit it every other day, as it's less than 2 hours by coach.