Understanding the "Hindu-Malay" Filipino Mindset

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Rock wrote:
Seems like being in the States has given u a lot of time to reflect and share. Lucky for us. Keep it up.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

When in the Phils, Ladislav complained about language issues. Togalag, or not togalag, that was the question.

Now he makes the Phils sound like Shangri-La.

Not that there's anything wrong with Shangri-La...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

OutWest wrote:
davewe wrote:Lad:

This is a really nice analysis. I have been a practicing Buddhist for 35 years (though not as fanatical as I was in my youth) and this may very well explain my fondness for both the Philippines and Pinays.

And the India comparison is accurate. If they are influenced by Buddhism it is the older Hinayana Buddhism of India, rather than the more modern Mahayana Buddhism of China and Japan. Therefore the more passive acceptance of what is around them, rather than the more active "change your karma" attitude of Mahayana Buddhism.

And yes, just about every Filipina I met threw around the word karma. When wronged they don't seem to rely on personal retribution or the criminal-justice system, they just assume karma will extract its toll on the wrong doer.

This also might explain our misunderstanding of their lies, assuming them to be just the standard Asian saving face, rather than a profound grace and acceptance of what happens to them. Of course this isn't a great attitude if you are hoping they will solve their economic and internal problems, but it is a great attitude to have when you are looking for a graceful partner.

Think I will share this with a few Filipina friends and see what reaction I get.

I have wondered about this very thing- and Filipinos really do seem tuned to karma, except when face has been lost. At this point many of them will leave little to chance and may look for brutal revenge. Little faith is put in the criminal justice system though, since it is a farce to begin with, and everyone knows it. Often there is this resignation in the face of horrific events, and in the Philippines there are plenty of those events.

Outwest
Outwest, do you find you can be of serice, or do any good?

As Davewe stated, it sounds great for finding a mate, and new friends. But can you also do some good, after learning to feel what they feel, and earning trust?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:Real unadulterated Malay culture:

All that tranquility is nice... adds to the Yellow Fever...

but in my limited experience, indigenous people who meditate, pray, see auras, and are very intuitive... whether Tahitian or Mexican or whatever... can be selfish and cruel in a relationship regardless of how damn spiritual they are.

These same pagan meditative folks used to eat beating hearts, and much worse. Modern India is indeed accepting of Whites, as Thailand (Bhuddist) apparently is not. But even India practices unspeakable cruelty against Christian minority hill tribes, Sikhs, Moslems, etc. And did so against Whites not that long ago. Pretty much the thing Ladislav said about getting a Filipino riled up. Tranquil natives can be cutthroats if aroused.

I may go seek what is offered by Thailand, Philippines, or wherever. I want to be healed, to become better, to love and be loved, to extend my family. But I need to remember that a culture that believes in caste(like Tibet), or that allows trannies to walk around soliciting, or that creates an expertise in sex change operations, does indeed need uplifting. Whether San Francisco or Bangkok.

Christian virtue does count for something.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:Real unadulterated Malay culture:

All that tranquility is nice... adds to the Yellow Fever...

but in my limited experience, indigenous people who meditate, pray, see auras, and are very intuitive... whether Tahitian or Mexican or whatever... can be selfish and cruel in a relationship regardless of how damn spiritual they are.

These same pagan meditative folks used to eat beating hearts, and much worse. Modern India is indeed accepting of Whites, as Thailand (Bhuddist) apparently is not. But even India practices unspeakable cruelty against Christian minority hill tribes, Sikhs, Moslems, etc. And did so against Whites not that long ago. Pretty much the thing Ladislav said about getting a Filipino riled up. Tranquil natives can be cutthroats if aroused.

I may go seek what is offered by Thailand, Philippines, or wherever. I want to be healed, to become better, to love and be loved, to extend my family. But I need to remember that a culture that believes in caste(like Tibet), or that allows trannies to walk around soliciting, or that creates an expertise in sex change operations, does indeed need uplifting. Whether San Francisco or Bangkok.

Christian virtue does count for something.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

I do know that visayans claim they descend from 9 datus who came from Borneo to escape a tyrannical ruler
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Anonymous1 wrote:I do know that visayans claim they descend from 9 datus who came from Borneo to escape a tyrannical ruler
Have to tell them the datus "had to leave because they were too wild for Borneo."
woodwater
Freshman Poster

Re: Understanding the "Hindu-Malay" Filipino Mindset

Post by woodwater »

Im surprised.According to the Hofstede model in culturs & organizations,which I sent once to Winston,Philipines is a masculine culture and not very happy or self indulgente,at least compared to central americans and scandinavians
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Re: Understanding the "Hindu-Malay" Filipino Mindset

Post by Bao3niang »

I've definitely noticed some of what you're talking about from my personal experiences with some Indonesian Christians and even Muslims. I am a Christian of no particular sect / denomination, but I guess most of my beliefs would align with Protestantism. The few Indonesian Christians I got to know never really brought up issues such as how to evangelize, and never really got into any theological or mystical stuff that I am interested in. Their practice of Christianity is very down-to-earth, and a lot more community and social oriented than my own faith. To the Malay peoples, religion is like a social identity, something that differs quite a lot from the Christianity most of us have been exposed to, which emphasizes a 'personal relationship with God.' I had expected Indonesian Christians to feel quite a high degree of animosity towards Islam as a false Gospel and an oppressor, due to the country's ruling regime and a majority of the population being Muslims, but I've seen a surprisingly high level of inter-religious interaction and tolerance. Here's an example of an exchange I had with an Indonesian Christian girl (edited for grammar):

She: "I just saw in the news that three churches were bombed today, many were wounded. I feel sad."

Me: "Must be the Muslims again. They always like to cause trouble for us. They have already distorted our Gospel, and they just keep causing harm."

She: "No, it is not that. No religion teaches evil. Terrorist have no religion."

A very interesting point-of-view, which I must admit, can be very true. Things have been done in the name of pretty much everything. Of course if I really wanted to go further it would have ended up as a theological debate over the merit of Christianity having a truer Gospel versus the demerit of Islam (in and of itself) having a false one, but your average Indonesian / Malay, who claims to be religious, doesn't seem to care all that much. I don't think you'll likely find a pastor like William Lane Craig or Mark Driscoll in Indonesia among the Christians there.

I also know a few Indonesian Muslim guys who are actually quite nice. At first I was a bit afraid of revealing to them that I'm Christian, but after telling them they did not seem to care at all.

When it comes to the politics of both countries, however, you get a very different story. The ruling elite of both countries are dominated by individuals who practice a very politicized, often extreme form of Islam.

It's also interesting that Confucianism is considered a religion in Indonesia, because I have NEVER thought about it as such. Confucius himself told his disciples to respect, but not try to become involved with spiritual entities in any way, that the core of our existence is in the physical world, and the physical world alone.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!