Sexual Harassment In The Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

There's an awful lot of analysis here to describe one simple fact: that women in PI (and many other countries) are sweeter and friendlier than in Western countries. Is the girl who smiles at you flirting with you? Maybe but just as likely she is just friendly - up to you to find out of you have a mind to.

For example I was at the Manila airport at 5:00 AM a couple weeks ago to take a Cebu Pacific flight to Cebu. Five freaking AM! I was tired and grumpy. The girl behind the counter smiled, called me Sir and was just bubbly. The people surrounding me were generally upbeat and smiling. Totally different than the people in my home city at 5 freaking AM! That didn't mean she was flirting with me - though a few do.

BTW, to make the phenomena more complex some of the girls most interested in you won't overtly flirt. They'll get shy, turn away or look down, not speak, etc.

But I do agree with the general premise. Girls are friendlier and more direct and open with their feelings - so yes, you are likely to have someone respond directly without the nasty games you are used to in the West.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

davewe wrote: ..She likes you and ends up having sex with you. You feel like da man and assume she did it because you are so damn good looking.
LOL every time I read this.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Sexual Harassment In The Philippines

Post by Jester »

Ginger wrote:...I think I cannot really flirt (consciously), but when I'm unaware my body chooses to betray me. However, I also do flirting body language like doing the hair flippy thingy for instance, even when I'm alone (like just by myself at my place) so maybe pinays are generally born with flirting genes haha :D
Thanks, for the idea. I will be writing a new E-book, for the Harlequin Romance series...

"Her Body Betrayed Her"
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

:)
Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

Ginger wrote:
davewe wrote:There's an awful lot of analysis here to describe one simple fact: that women in PI (and many other countries) are sweeter and friendlier than in Western countries. Is the girl who smiles at you flirting with you? Maybe but just as likely she is just friendly - up to you to find out of you have a mind to.

For example I was at the Manila airport at 5:00 AM a couple weeks ago to take a Cebu Pacific flight to Cebu. Five freaking AM! I was tired and grumpy. The girl behind the counter smiled, called me Sir and was just bubbly. The people surrounding me were generally upbeat and smiling. Totally different than the people in my home city at 5 freaking AM! That didn't mean she was flirting with me - though a few do.

BTW, to make the phenomena more complex some of the girls most interested in you won't overtly flirt. They'll get shy, turn away or look down, not speak, etc.

But I do agree with the general premise. Girls are friendlier and more direct and open with their feelings - so yes, you are likely to have someone respond directly without the nasty games you are used to in the West.
Well yeah, after all, our tourism slogan is "IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES". People here smile even when they're pissed off (including me).

Oh yup, I forgot to mention that,if a pinay REALLY likes a guy, she tends to get shy or act nonchalant around the guy (I'm very pinay regarding this, grrrr @ upbringing). It's really complicated.

Women here are trained to play hard to get, and most do it unconsciously. The best way to know if a pinay really likes a guy is to ask her directly.

--If she says plain NO, then that means no
--If she says nothing, then that means yes she likes the guy
--If she says maybe, then she likes the guy but is playing coy
--If she acts angry and storms away, then it means yes but needs more time or more convincing or more working on, or is probably confused about her feelings
--If she says flat out yes, either she is yanking your chain or playing some other game

The above holds true for maybe 95% of pinays, and maybe 95% of womankind in SEA who are not P4P. It's the upbringing.
And the other 5% are secretly ladyboys.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Ginger wrote:
davewe wrote:There's an awful lot of analysis here to describe one simple fact: that women in PI (and many other countries) are sweeter and friendlier than in Western countries. Is the girl who smiles at you flirting with you? Maybe but just as likely she is just friendly - up to you to find out of you have a mind to.

Well yeah, after all, our tourism slogan is "IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES". People here smile even when they're pissed off (including me).

Oh yup, I forgot to mention that,if a pinay REALLY likes a guy, she tends to get shy or act nonchalant around the guy (I'm very pinay regarding this, grrrr @ upbringing). It's really complicated.

Women here are trained to play hard to get, and most do it unconsciously. The best way to know if a pinay really likes a guy is to ask her directly.
Ginger, I totally disagree with your comment, its obvious to me your from Luzon. I've had more women in the Philippines tell me I'm handsome in the first few months I moved here than any country I've lived in, they even tell my wife too. Filipinas still stare at me every day I'm out shopping, there's nothing shy about them at all. If a Filipina likes a guy that guy will know it fast, theres no guess work involved.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I got sexually harrassed in China. I've heard a lot of other guys do as well!!!

Chinese women will also move fast if they want something from you (e.g. money or a wedding ring). Maybe that's why Winston stays on his island instead of going to the mad place that is China.

Maybe Asian guys fear strong women. There's a whole genre of Japanese adult movie that is focussed on this theme. It's not really my cup of tea, but they are quite funny movies . :lol:
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Taco wrote:
Ginger wrote:

Ginger, I totally disagree with your comment, its obvious to me your from Luzon. I've had more women in the Philippines tell me I'm handsome in the first few months I moved here than any country I've lived in, they even tell my wife too. Filipinas still stare at me every day I'm out shopping, there's nothing shy about them at all. If a Filipina likes a guy that guy will know it fast, theres no guess work involved.
I would have to agree with Taco also. If you are actually a half-way decent looking European looking Westerner who is in shape and still under 40 then you will get eyeballed and stared at a lot in many public places by the opposite sex, and a lot of times the same sex as well, unfortunately gays seem to be really annoying and aggressive in PI if you pique their interest. Taco isn't over embellishing himself either, i get super annoyed shopping by myself cause the sales ladies are way to aggressive trying to "help" me out and come off a bit too much for me to want to deal with which turns into being more annoying then anything. I'm not really into lots of personal attention, although I realize others may thrive on it. I'm in my late 30's and still get lots of attention, however I will admit SE Asia was better in my 20's but I can still reel 'em in when I want to. I've studied body language as well so this helps in regards to being able to tell if a girl likes you or not without saying anything or being direct with you.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

Last edited by Ginger on July 4th, 2013, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Mr S wrote:
Taco wrote:
Ginger wrote:

I would have to agree with Taco also. If you are actually a half-way decent looking European looking Westerner who is in shape and still under 40 then you will get eyeballed and stared at a lot in many public places by the opposite sex, and a lot of times the same sex as well, unfortunately gays seem to be really annoying and aggressive in PI if you pique their interest. Taco isn't over embellishing himself either, i get super annoyed shopping by myself cause the sales ladies are way to aggressive trying to "help" me out and come off a bit too much for me to want to deal with which turns into being more annoying then anything. I'm not really into lots of personal attention, although I realize others may thrive on it. I'm in my late 30's and still get lots of attention, however I will admit SE Asia was better in my 20's but I can still reel 'em in when I want to. I've studied body language as well so this helps in regards to being able to tell if a girl likes you or not without saying anything or being direct with you.
Mr S, thanks for coming to my defense. I used think that money was the main attraction that Filipinas had for foreign men, this is not true however. Sadly, I would say that only 1 out of 10 men in the Philippines is trustworthy, competent and reliable.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Ginger - I think your disconnection is in thinking about how often you do or don't flirt with a guy. But think of this from a guy's standpoint - a Western guy. Let's say I go out in public for the day, as I just did, in a city like CDO. I walk around the mall, I go to a restaurant or two, I go to a park or beach. Maybe I encounter 50 girls that day: sales clerks, waitresses, hotel desk clerks, girls walking about. Now let's say only two of the 50 girls seem to be particularly flirtatious toward me. My point is that is 2 more than I would experience in the West. Therefore from a guy's standpoint it appears that many girls are flirting with him. But the reality is it was only 2 in 50 (and maybe only 1 of the 2 was actually flirting). So you are certainly correct; most girls may not flirt. But we are also right; the numbers who do flirt are much higher than in our home countries. After all, from a guys point of view, it only takes one.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Taco wrote:
Mr S, thanks for coming to my defense. I used think that money was the main attraction that Filipinas had for foreign men, this is not true however. Sadly, I would say that only 1 out of 10 men in the Philippines is trustworthy, competent and reliable.
Your quote about 1 in 10 men being trustworthy is not only true of Pinoys but of foreigners too I suspect. Therefore if you are a good and trustworthy man, Pinays will be attracted to you. Yes money is an attraction, no doubt, but it is far more than that.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

I have had Mexican women flirt with me. Including one that rubbed her butt up against mine.

I have passed by a group of Japanese girls just to turn around and see them starring at me as I pass by.

Physical contact as a man towards women will NOT get you into trouble with the law in most east European countries.

Hell men beat up their women in public in China.

So this sexual harrassment thing is just limited to feminist socities against men.