Fashion's defiant turn

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Kapinga626
Freshman Poster

Fashion's defiant turn

Post by Kapinga626 »

" In Myanmar , the hard-line regime's fight to keep out decadent alien culture has been cut off at the knees as foreign influences creep in " .

Interesting article in todays L.A. Times regarding fashion influences , especially among teeners and the nouveau rich .

Experts cite " pro-business policies after 2000 that saw the internet , satellite tv , and South Korean dramas , that spread like wildfire " . " Burmese advertising and media executives say they're constantly skirting the regimes' red line . Readers love photos of pop singers with cleavage , and short skirts , but these risk the censors wrath . Some acknowledge using photoshop to lengthen celebrity clothing " .

" Although teen agers have been at the vanguard , a thirtysomething nouveau riche set is following close behind flaunting it's wealth with sexy , ostentacious creations , over-the-top colors , and lots of bling ".

Beliefs have also changed with style. " Traditionally , there was a big value on virginity " , said one magazines editor .
" But increasingly not . Parents can't control their kids so strictly anymore " .

I've always been a little interested in this closed country . Sounds to me like they're going the way of the west . Too bad says I .
What are your opinions ?
" I rang'd the world , I cross'd the seas,
in hopes my restless breast to ease,
By pleasures yet unknown :

To all amusements I have run ,
that's found beneath the daily sun;
Till weary I have grown . "

- Samuel Patterson a poor , lowly sailor circa 1800's