I am moving to Tijuana!

Moderated area for expat living and dating discussions. Members only. Must qualify with good knowledge, experience, character to be member and participate. See guidelines inside. Civil behavior only. No trolls, attacks or insults.
zacb
Experienced Poster

I am moving to Tijuana!

Post by zacb »

Well I am finally biting the bullet and moving abroad. I know it may not be as exotic as other places, but I would be getting the main things I want (away from Cultural Marxism, low costs, and a culture full of life). But at the same time I would be earning a decent amount in San Diego and if one of my ideas take off, I can get funded in California. Further LAX is only 2 hours away, so I can get cheap flights ANYWHERE. The biggest thing is I can have a mini retirement and still save money for actually retirement. In addition I can develop a career, as well as not have to opt into Obamacare and get better care abroad. 2 more months! :mrgreen: :D
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Re: I am moving to Tijuana!

Post by zacb »

Finally got a job here, staying at an airbnb place, and enjoying my time straddling the border. Rent is between 250-450, but trying to find a long term place close to the border. Overall I can't complain and look forward to saving and working towards my eventual plan of buying a place outside the US. One suggestion is I would not travel in TJ at night, since I actually got robbed (long story, but could not find a taxi to my destination and such), and to use collectivos. It has been a challenge getting used to the taxis, but otherwise it is all good. Lots of p4p if you are into that sort of thing. Also lots of stuff in San Diego to do as well, so overall I would suggest TJ to someone young or in college that can't quite live the PT lifestyle just yet, but wants to get out of the frying pan. One other thing, don't take orange taxis. Those things gouge you. The Padres are a fun diversion if you like that sort of thing, and TJ has a baseball team as well. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Sounds like a good location. So you living South of the Border in Tijuana in an apt.? Will you work in San Diego? How safe is it? Do you speak Spanish? I'm assuming you can get by there without Spanish though. I was there many years ago as a tourist. :D
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Just whenever you negotiate a price, just remember once you mention that price, it stays there or else they'll threaten to call the police on ya.
They are ubiquitously located in TJ. ....well only if you decide to toy with women of the day and women of the night (yes they work around the clock in TJ).

However, stay away from Oxxo's in the tourist district because Americans from California come there and devour all the good a la carte snacks there and you'd be stuck
with Mexican sugar nuts (cacahuates garapiñados), cacahuates japonesos (GMO-sized looking peanuts but tasty as all hell) and peñafiel aspartame water.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Apply for a Sentri Pass. It makes it a lot easier to cross the border.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

At the moment I am living in Airbnb apartments until my first paycheck. Then after that I am going to TRY and find a decent place, but it is a little harder than I thought. A lot of the places right near the border are asking close to 400. I may just try to go to the Playas, but I worry about the buses not always stopping at the border. As for my Spanish it is passable, but many people speak English as well so no worries. I am going to be working in Chula Vista, but it is taking the company forever to get everything in order but that is another story. Also a lot to do on both sides, but for now I am focusing on college (online through an accredited university) while coding and reading in my spare time. It is kind of weird because despite not having many "social" outlets, I am quite content. I have been going to a Python meetup, which has been great. Might make it out to other meetups, but for now I am trying to take it slow. As for safety, my understanding is the East and Southeast are the worse, which I am just over the bridge from the East, and found a bridge that did not have as many sketchy people. I have been walking to and from the border with no issues. The only issue I had was I had my Tracfone stolen, but I was trying to find a bus to Rosarito (where my first place was) and had someone jack me with a crowbar lol. Otherwise most people have been quite friendly, even Californians. Really liked Fry's in San Diego, although it took forever to get there. Also you can get in to a SD baseball game for 19 for lawn seating. So overall I am liking it and debating Mexico in my future business ideas (corporate rate is 30%).

There were a few laughable things. Saw a few transvestites walking up and down downtown SD. Also saw EBT was accepted at fast food places. In addition ,BPA is labelled and so are a lot of other chemicals (THIS CHEMICAL HAS BEEN KNOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA BLAH BALAH BLAH), and when I went to a UC library for a meetup there was a big poster about fake news. Also surprised at the amount of poor people. I get it is an expensive city, but it is crazy the amount of people near the library and downtown area that set up mini tent cities. Mind blowing.

Overall have only run into one "feminist", that being at the meetup, and beyond that I was kinda surprised at the amount of libertarian literature. In the library (main one) didn't see the National Review, but did see Reason Magazine. In Barnes and Noble was kinda shocked that a good chunk in the philosophy section was libertarian or individualist readings (Nietzsche, Popper, Gasset, and another one by some libertarians). Same for the libraries. At the UC library the economics library was flush with a lot of good books on economics. So overall it seems somewhat balanced. Outside the academic areas, it did not seem too "PC" per se. Saw a few anti-Trump stickers, but I saw more radical leftist stickers in S Florida than here (anti-gun too). So overall not too bad, but I plan on living on the Mexican side. As for Sentri, I plan to get that for my job (invest in it when I have a need to, if that makes sense). As for learning Spanish, I plan to pick up Pimsleaurs again, after finishing my reading about AOL, international corporate finance, and Python Algorithms. Those are what I am reading outside of school! But for the little of Pimsleurs and picking of words from every day bill boards, I think I am not doing quite as bad as some, but still needs a lot of improvement. I could probably talk to a cab driver about music, his family, where he is from, politics, is this a safe area, if he is interested in football, etc. . My biggest issue is when someone addresses me, but will be working on that.
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:E Irizarry R&B Singer
By the way I was going to ask about you. Aren't you in Mexico as well, although I thought closer to Texas if my memory serves me correct. How goes it?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

zacb wrote:At the moment I am living in Airbnb apartments until my first paycheck. Then after that I am going to TRY and find a decent place, but it is a little harder than I thought. A lot of the places right near the border are asking close to 400. I may just try to go to the Playas, but I worry about the buses not always stopping at the border. As for my Spanish it is passable, but many people speak English as well so no worries. I am going to be working in Chula Vista, but it is taking the company forever to get everything in order but that is another story. Also a lot to do on both sides, but for now I am focusing on college (online through an accredited university) while coding and reading in my spare time. It is kind of weird because despite not having many "social" outlets, I am quite content. I have been going to a Python meetup, which has been great. Might make it out to other meetups, but for now I am trying to take it slow. As for safety, my understanding is the East and Southeast are the worse, which I am just over the bridge from the East, and found a bridge that did not have as many sketchy people. I have been walking to and from the border with no issues. The only issue I had was I had my Tracfone stolen, but I was trying to find a bus to Rosarito (where my first place was) and had someone jack me with a crowbar lol. Otherwise most people have been quite friendly, even Californians. Really liked Fry's in San Diego, although it took forever to get there. Also you can get in to a SD baseball game for 19 for lawn seating. So overall I am liking it and debating Mexico in my future business ideas (corporate rate is 30%).

There were a few laughable things. Saw a few transvestites walking up and down downtown SD. Also saw EBT was accepted at fast food places. In addition ,BPA is labelled and so are a lot of other chemicals (THIS CHEMICAL HAS BEEN KNOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA BLAH BALAH BLAH), and when I went to a UC library for a meetup there was a big poster about fake news. Also surprised at the amount of poor people. I get it is an expensive city, but it is crazy the amount of people near the library and downtown area that set up mini tent cities. Mind blowing.

Overall have only run into one "feminist", that being at the meetup, and beyond that I was kinda surprised at the amount of libertarian literature. In the library (main one) didn't see the National Review, but did see Reason Magazine. In Barnes and Noble was kinda shocked that a good chunk in the philosophy section was libertarian or individualist readings (Nietzsche, Popper, Gasset, and another one by some libertarians). Same for the libraries. At the UC library the economics library was flush with a lot of good books on economics. So overall it seems somewhat balanced. Outside the academic areas, it did not seem too "PC" per se. Saw a few anti-Trump stickers, but I saw more radical leftist stickers in S Florida than here (anti-gun too). So overall not too bad, but I plan on living on the Mexican side. As for Sentri, I plan to get that for my job (invest in it when I have a need to, if that makes sense). As for learning Spanish, I plan to pick up Pimsleaurs again, after finishing my reading about AOL, international corporate finance, and Python Algorithms. Those are what I am reading outside of school! But for the little of Pimsleurs and picking of words from every day bill boards, I think I am not doing quite as bad as some, but still needs a lot of improvement. I could probably talk to a cab driver about music, his family, where he is from, politics, is this a safe area, if he is interested in football, etc. . My biggest issue is when someone addresses me, but will be working on that.
By the way I was going to ask about you. Aren't you in Mexico as well, although I thought closer to Texas if my memory serves me correct. How goes it?
Python language is uber quick to implement because it's an interpreted language that isn't fully object-oriented. It's open sources fcuk you to Microsoft's PowerShell. Just like #slack is compared to Lync and Skype. Learn that, a JavaScript Framework like ReactJS, then Java (Spring core, AP I dev), Scala and a NoSQL DB and you will never be out of a job.

I am back in the u.s. of gay. But no longer Texas.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

zacb wrote:At the moment I am living in Airbnb apartments until my first paycheck. Then after that I am going to TRY and find a decent place, but it is a little harder than I thought. A lot of the places right near the border are asking close to 400. I may just try to go to the Playas, but I worry about the buses not always stopping at the border. As for my Spanish it is passable, but many people speak English as well so no worries. I am going to be working in Chula Vista, but it is taking the company forever to get everything in order but that is another story. Also a lot to do on both sides, but for now I am focusing on college (online through an accredited university) while coding and reading in my spare time. It is kind of weird because despite not having many "social" outlets, I am quite content. I have been going to a Python meetup, which has been great. Might make it out to other meetups, but for now I am trying to take it slow. As for safety, my understanding is the East and Southeast are the worse, which I am just over the bridge from the East, and found a bridge that did not have as many sketchy people. I have been walking to and from the border with no issues. The only issue I had was I had my Tracfone stolen, but I was trying to find a bus to Rosarito (where my first place was) and had someone jack me with a crowbar lol. Otherwise most people have been quite friendly, even Californians. Really liked Fry's in San Diego, although it took forever to get there. Also you can get in to a SD baseball game for 19 for lawn seating. So overall I am liking it and debating Mexico in my future business ideas (corporate rate is 30%).

Python language is uber quick to implement because it's an interpreted language that isn't fully object-oriented. It's open sources fcuk you to Microsoft's PowerShell. Just like #slack is compared to Lync and Skype. Learn that, a JavaScript Framework like ReactJS, then Java (Spring core, AP I dev), Scala and a NoSQL DB and you will never be out of a job.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Double submission
Last edited by E Irizarry R&B Singer on September 15th, 2017, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Triple submission
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:

Sorry you are in the States. I am liking where I am, being able to be near California, but leverage the lower cost of living, while being relatively close to an international airport (LAX) that has regular deals to Europe, Asia, and Latin America for under 400. Just waiting for my job to ho through, then once I get shit in order I feel like I can advance and maybe find a better career out here.

As for coding, I have been working on a simple game for a year implemented in pure Python and Tkinter. In addition I have 5 projects in Github (plus one in PHP from before). In addition I am finishing up a scraper product for market research on ecommerce platforms (debating whether to sell it as a one time fee or open source it, the reason is that it scrapes an entire category and is local, so no need for subscriptions. But the downside is that it takes forever to compile a report). Also want to make a SQLite DB app for sports cards, but that is going to be open source. I am wondering if after the last one would that be a decent enough portfolio of apps that I could go on to learning a new language without looking like I don't like to complete things? Also would Java be an ok second choice for a language to learn? Further would taking courses at a community college in computer science hurt or getting certifications from Oracle be a bad idea or more of a waste of money? Thanks! (Also for the NoSQL comment, would MongoDB qualify and would it hurt to learn SQL?)
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

zacb wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:

Sorry you are in the States. I am liking where I am, being able to be near California, but leverage the lower cost of living, while being relatively close to an international airport (LAX) that has regular deals to Europe, Asia, and Latin America for under 400. Just waiting for my job to ho through, then once I get shit in order I feel like I can advance and maybe find a better career out here.

As for coding, I have been working on a simple game for a year implemented in pure Python and Tkinter. In addition I have 5 projects in Github (plus one in PHP from before). In addition I am finishing up a scraper product for market research on ecommerce platforms (debating whether to sell it as a one time fee or open source it, the reason is that it scrapes an entire category and is local, so no need for subscriptions. But the downside is that it takes forever to compile a report). Also want to make a SQLite DB app for sports cards, but that is going to be open source. I am wondering if after the last one would that be a decent enough portfolio of apps that I could go on to learning a new language without looking like I don't like to complete things? Also would Java be an ok second choice for a language to learn? Further would taking courses at a community college in computer science hurt or getting certifications from Oracle be a bad idea or more of a waste of money? Thanks! (Also for the NoSQL comment, would MongoDB qualify and would it hurt to learn SQL?)
No worries, bud. Finish those projects out. Make sure you create a beta/development branch in Git. Restrict permissions on that branch of incomplete projects AND create another branch and restrict permissions on the apps which you have not decided you want to sell yet; you don't want those APIs exposed to public GitHub users yet as they can clone from those repositories without you getting your ROI.

Further research how to get those apps to run and which platforms they would suffice in execution/running them. So if you want to pull a branch, hit up the Terminal/Console in a Linux distro OS (or Mac OSX kernel) with:

git clone -b name_of_branch secure_web_link_location_of_git_file ...from the directory you want to pull from
(e.g.: git clone -b develop/php_moss_app "https://www.github.com/zacb/moss_app_api.git"
or whatever

then you can checkout (i.e. edit and lock the files for Git subversioning) by:

git checkout {...}

...the syntax might be off, but there's copious amounts of Git documentation online.

Moving along, yes Java is an excellent choice, like I said in my previous reply to you. Java 1.7/7 and now for the last two years -> Java 1.8/8 are still in heavy demand in the coders market. It's resilient platform independence is much of the rave so much so that there are languages other than Java are compiled into bytecode THROUGH THE JVM compiler! e.g. Scala, my favorite language at the moment besides Python. Java JARs can be imported into Scala and run because of the aforementioned. Java's API is extensive as hell too. One of the problems with Java is that when you only want one instance of a class to run on the heap, you have to write extra code in order to ensure that...at least in Java 7 that was the case. Whereas with Scala, what I'm talking about (i.e. Singleton objects) is already a monad built in to do that exact same thing.

Java is so object-oriented that it's comprehensible. If Java is too confusing, start off learning an obscure object-oriented language like Pascal. Stay away from C++ if you don't have the aptitude because it's lower-level to the memory-address swapping of execution and syntax and would literally throw a curve ball at you. Learn what finalized objects do, their scope, abstract classes and interfaces, etc. C++ is good for game development, driver development, meticulous development, and Python debugging (yes high level language like Python is interpreted by C runtime).

Also now in Big Data-Fast Data sub-industry of I.T., Java API's for ElasticSearch are in demand too as well as dealing with older Hadoop/Hive projects that ran off of MapReduce execution engine. Now Hive runs off of Apache Tez/DAG execution, but I digress).

Java EJB is now Spring Core API but in many ways easier to learn, but I'm digressing.

As for NoSQL, MongoDB is not bad; it just persists copious amounts of data differently and I think that it is a columnar key-value pair NoSQL DB like Cassandra. Another NoSQL DB is a graph-indexed key-value pairs like Neo4j, which I began to use for my new Kafka streams-Scala project of pulling information from a Clojure-coded business object.

Cassandra is the rave in the NoSQL world because 95 percent of it uses traditional RDBMS/transact SQL for DML and DDL operations so the learning curve is very favorable.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

As for landing the first gig, how did you go about doing it? More freelance or more career oriented? I know many job postings say Bachelors required, but there has to be a way around that. Also are certs worth it? And would it be worth it to learn C# later on? Also what part of the country you in?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

zacb wrote:As for landing the first gig, how did you go about doing it? More freelance or more career oriented? I know many job postings say Bachelors required, but there has to be a way around that. Also are certs worth it? And would it be worth it to learn C# later on? Also what part of the country you in?
Java pays more and both Java and C# are OOD/OOA but the former is platform independent.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Scala, man. It simplifies the livid shit out of Java and it's a functional OOD language as well. Immutable concurrent threaded objects. Guaranteed async threading for Promise objects. I lubb it :)