Dr. Laura says American women need to treat men better

Discuss what's wrong with American women. Share problems, experiences and stories about them and why they suck so bad that you've had to resort to dating abroad and foreign women.
Winston
Site Admin

Dr. Laura says American women need to treat men better

Post by Winston »

http://marriagescene.com/2010/10/01/ame ... -husbands/

In her book “The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands“, Dr. Laura Schlessinger addresses the problems in the relationships between husbands and wives in America. If you spend just a few minutes reading some of the blogs and forums on the Internet where women and men complain about their marriages, you can see that there’s definitely a problem where “two attitudes clash in unfortunate ways to create struggle and strife�. It’s particularly enlightening to read the comments left on some of the websites geared to married men that focus on allowing husbands to vent.

A large number of married men in America feel disrespected. They feel used. They feel deceived. They feel that yes, their feelings and needs are disregarded and society allows this disregard, even encourages it. They agree that American women feel they are entitled and don’t think they owe a man anything yet believe that men owe them the world on a platter. They complain that women make their demands and their men try to give and give and give until it gets to where it dawns on the man that he’s giving and giving and giving and getting only ingratitude in return. The man starts showing his unhappiness with the situation and that’s when things start to go downhill because as far as his wife is concerned he’s not entitled to have feelings. His sole purpose in life is to make sure she is content and happy. She can treat him however she wants. He has no right to complain about it.

In her book Dr. Laura aims to open the eyes of American wives to help them see that they are the ones digging their own graves where their failing marriages are concerned. She shows them how to own their power, not the power to control their husbands and make them miserable and in so doing make them easier targets for women who go after married men, but their power to keep their marriages strong, and keep their husbands and themselves happy and have the kind of marriage that they want.
Last edited by Winston on June 4th, 2011, 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out the raving reviews for that book on Amazon.com.

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

249 of 263 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNED (in a good way), July 9, 2006
By
J. Shea "jaishea" (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands: What Successful Marriage is Really About (Paperback)
First, let me say that I am a very independent, very headstrong, liberal wife who has a higher education than her husband (masters' degree), owns a business and takes no B.S. from anyone. When this book came out, I truly thought it was a joke. WHO WOULD WRITE A BOOK LIKE THIS OUTSIDE OF THE 1950s?! And WHERE IS THE "PROPER CARE... OF WIVES"?! To add 'insult', a coworker of my husband (whose wife stays at home with their 4 kids because they feel that this is THE role wives are SUPPOSED TO take on), is the one who offered to lend it to me. I thought, "this will be interesting" but can't criticize until giving it a shot, right???

Ok - there's the background - here's the review:

I couldn't put the book down and read it in a just over a day. While I don't agree 100% with all that Dr. Laura says, and as another reviewer commented that there are parts that men may find insulting, this book has changed my life, and as a result it has changed my husband's life - both for the better. After 7 years of marriage, we are clicking like we never have before. I can't explain it to you, or to my married best friends whose jaws dropped as I confessed to them over margaritas that I NOT ONLY READ the book but I LOVED the book.

All I can say is that the foundation makes sense. It doesn't bash working women - Dr. Laura is one, after all. But it does point out, not so discreetly, that your family - the family you have chosen to create - should come above all else. And that the EXTREMISM of some aspects of the feminist movement is self-destructive to women, men and society as a whole.

And as I turned each page and as I tried to rebel against some parts (I shouldn't BURDEN him with the tales of MY day??!), peel away the layers, let down your defenses and let it make sense. (It isn't that my day is less significant, but men and women communicate differently - vent to him about your day and he'll feel like a second class citizen and a failure for not being able to fix your stress. Vent to your girlfriends and they'll dish with you! Focus your time on your husband, family, relationship, etc., once you get home instead.) AND LET ME TELL YA once you leave the work day at the door, your home becomes YOUR HOME again, too. So it's win-win! REALLY!!!

Dr. Laura's book includes parts and pieces of past calls and letters, which is a helpful, practical demonstration of her points and breaks things up so you don't feel like you're getting a lecture (especially if you are ready to admit you've been doing a few thngs wrong!). And as you can see the lightbulb go on with average Janes all over the country and across time in the dialogue- from them pushing back on her advice to (aha!) getting her message during their conversations, you see the pettiness we can cling to and frankly, the underlying simplicity in each of her messages.

OK - still skeptical? Then rent it at the library for free and give it a shot. Just TRY to put her ideas into practice - commit to changing for a week (if you aren't sold on changing your life)... What's the worst that can happen? If it's all wrong for you, you have just lost a quick week and you can pat yourself on the back for being right and you can write your own book. ;-)

But just think - what if it WORKS?! Then you will find a new meaning in your life that you didn't know you were missing. You will have a much happier and rewarding marriage. Your husband will adore you. (Sounds rough, huh?)

TRUST ME - I'm not about to become a submissive, mindless person rather than an equal partner in a relationship. But as I made a few MINOR tweaks in how I treat the man I chose to marry and spend the rest of my life with, I have received rewards from him 10-fold. And to think I thought I was doing it 'right' all along. ;0)

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comments (2)

112 of 123 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Down-to-earth marriage manual, May 12, 2005
By
Star "Personal Legend" (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands (Hardcover)
Even though I do not always agree with Dr. Laura, I enjoy listening to her. Mostly, it's because she has very strong beliefs and she stands firmly by them. Too often in our society people are wishy-washy out of desire to be "popular" and inoffensive. I admire her for her strength to stand for what she believes in or take an unpopular point of view. She's an inspiration for all of us to stand by our principles and, above all, to always be honest with ourselves and others.

"The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands" is the first and only book by Dr. Laura that I have read. Overall, it is very much like her radio program, except that it is focused solely on what we as women can do to improve and maintain our marriage. Her style is conversational, no-nonsense, and down-to-earth. The advice that she dispenses is common-sense, practical, and time-tested. A large number of actual phone calls and letters make up the bulk of the book, as illustrations for the points that she makes.

The message of the book is that women have real power in marriage, since men, at their core, yearn for acceptance, approval, and appreciation (`the three A's'). Women, therefore, have the power to either make their husbands absolutely happy by giving them these three A's (which in turn makes men more willing to go the extra mile for their wives) or miserable by withholding them (which results in resentment and can ultimately lead to divorce). In this book, Dr. Laura exposes the problem in our society where women have a real need for control in their relationships, which manifests in them withholding affection, needlessly criticizing and otherwise alienating their husbands.

I can personally testify to the validity of advice that she gives. Being a child of a divorce, I struggled with all of these issues early on in my relationship and my marriage. Although I didn't have the benefit of this book at the time, I was lucky enough to be with a man who loved me and cared enough for me to stick around while I worked out all of these issues. He really taught me, through his actions, what "The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands" is all about - the importance of being unselfish, willing to compromise, and putting the relationship and the other person first. Doing so creates a virtuous cycle which invites the same behavior in the other person, thus bringing both people happiness and fulfillment.

Now being happily married, I believe that I'm already doing most of the things in the book. Still, it was a nice reinforcement of what I've learned through life experience and gave a few valuable pointers in the areas where I still have room for improvement. There were a couple of times while reading this book that I felt it was a bit redundant and lacked structure - mostly due to the author's need to reinforce certain points, as well as her overall conversational style. Despite these rather minor flaws, I still give this book five stars because there is nothing else quite like it out there. I believe that it should be a part of each married woman's library as the only marriage manual that she'll ever need.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

477 of 553 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Honoring and Respecting Your Husband is the Key, January 4, 2004
By
Annette Thompson (College Station, Texas) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands (Hardcover)
Dr Laura's book is sure to be controversial but for wives who are willing to do whatever it takes to make their marriages work, this book has the answers. Dr Laura tells it as it is as she explains a wife holds the keys to making her husband happy and her marriage successful if she will honor and respect her husband and give him attention and affection.

My husband gave me this book last week because he knew I had started reading books on how to be a better wife and I was already a fan of Dr Laura's books. I imagine that if a wife was a feminist or not ready to make sacrifices for her husband then giving her this book would not help. I recently gave up my business to concentrate on my family and was primed for what this book had to teach.

Men who read this will likely get their feelings validated. Some might possibly be insulted though by Dr Laura's assertion, "Men are borne of women and spend the rest of their lives yearning for a woman's acceptance and approval...men admittedly are putty in the hands of a woman they love. Give him direct communication, respect, appreciation, food and good lovin', and he'll do just about anything you wish...You basic male is a decent creature with simple desires: to be his wife's hero, to be his wife's dream lover, to be the protector and provider for his family, to be respected, admired and apprecaited. Men live to make their women happy.

Though Dr Laura is Jewish, "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" makes many the same points as conservative Christian marriage books such as "Liberated Through Submission", "Finding the Hero in Your Husband", "Joy of a Promise Kept", "His Needs, Her Needs" and the secular book "The Surrendered Wife".

The body of book is about 1/3 quotes from radio conversations with listeners and emails that Dr Laura has gotten. The heartfelt quotes from husbands drive home the points made. Dr Laura teaches that a good wife with her actions makes her husband the #1 priority in her life, clearly before both her job, parents, friends and even children. She tells women not to nag or mother this husbands because "If a man can't find peace in his own home, where he should be able to feel relaxed, accepted, loved, and content, he beings to hate coming home"

Dr Laura teaches that feminism has lied in claiming "men will oppress; they are the enemy; do not submit; terminate or donate." She condems the feminist movement "which supports personal success, acquisition, accomplishment amd power...over love, marriage and family."

I've read several criticisms of Dr Laura's position that it is a wife needs to meet her husband's sexual needs even when she's not in the mood. Dr Laura compares it to how irresponsible it would be for a husband to not go to work just because he's too tired or doesn't feel like it. If a wife still doesn't understand the reason behind her obligation, there are other books that cover this issue more thoroughly such as "Understanding the Purpose and Power of a Woman", "Making Sense Of The Men In Your Life" and "Sacred Sex: A Spiritual Celebration of Oneness in Marriage".

This is not a book for wives whose husbands are abusive but if you have a decent, hardworking husband husband and are willing to be unselfish and honor your marriage vows, "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" will motivate you to be a great wife.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I wonder if she really believes what she is writing or just targeting a specific niche where most professional female authors have not gone before. Hopefully American women will read and start doing what she recommends, but I doubt it will happen overnight, most likely a slow generational change of a few decades. The biggest factor blocking implementation of this is our current litigation system that makes money off of divorce proceedings and garnishment of men's wages without any kind of proof what the money is being used for...

It's actually more interesting to read the bashing from the one and two star reviews than the three and four star ones; you ger a better sense of what may be wrong with the book or what is right and pissing off the readers...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
wuxi
Freshman Poster

Post by wuxi »

When Dr. Schlessinger tells people that american men feel used and decieved for free then I'll believe she's sincere. Her occupation as marriage/relationship counselor is a direct result of the feminist movement which she is a hardcore supporter of. Before the feminist movement we didn't need marriage counselors because marriage was a stable institution. Marriage counselors like divorce lawyers will tell you anything you want to hear because they get paid by the hour not by positive results.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Wuxi, based on what I see, she is not at all a feminist supporter

See http://www.takeninhand.com/book.review. ... f.husbands

It says:

she decries the liberal, feminist agenda that seems dead set on insulting men. She feels that young women have been raised in a culture that is hostile to men, and by internalizing this message, they have become selfish and have a sense of entitlement that is out of proportion. She berates women for feeling as if the man should meet the woman's needs without her making an equal effort to meet his. She points to women who are so busy with outside careers, volunteering, hobbies and children, that they neglect the one who should be number one in her life.

ALSO

http://www.campusprogress.org/articles/ ... lessinger/
Dr. Laura’s vocally opposes both comprehensive sex education and abortion. Feminism, she argues, is endangering the sacred rite of motherhood, “brainwashing women that money replaces husbands, fathers and marriage.�
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

My wife consistently disregarded my feelings. That's why she's now my ex-wife. Schlessinger has it right.
Winston
Site Admin

Treat men better, Dr. Laura advises

Post by Winston »

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... in;content

Treat men better, Dr. Laura advises

by Dennis Lythgoe Deseret Morning News

Whether you follow her radio show or not, chances are you have an opinion on Dr. Laura, meaning Laura Schlessinger, who is in Salt Lake City today to promote her latest self-help book, "The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands."

During a lively phone conversation from her California home, Dr. Laura conceded she is controversial -- "Callers know if they need a slap upside the head, they'll get that. And if they need a hug, they'll get that. I'm functioning in their best interests -- I'm not exploiting them. Some people have complained about my technique, but usually I can win them over. They can't believe my honesty. They're probably stunned until they get it."

What she means is that a caller may be interrupted before finishing a question by a tough Dr. Laura comment such as this one, excerpted from the book, to Nikki who is worried about her fiance's manners: "Nikki, if you are ashamed of him, get rid of him." Nikki says she is "totally in love with him." Dr. Laura says, "Nikki, get a different man. Stop beating this one to death . . . if you want an exercise maniac who reads Ms. Manners, get one of those."

Dr. Laura is heard on 250 stations across the country as well as some in Canada and Armed Forces Radio. Her show can be heard in the Salt Lake area weekdays on KNRS (AM-570) from 1 to 4 p.m.

She says when she is home with friends and family she is different. "I keep my mouth shut off the air. If you breach a healthy boundary with friends, it might change the relationship. My friends don't expect me to be 'Dr. Laura.' Only one in 10,000 people who meet me at book-signings ever ask me a question. Instead, they express gratitude, and I like that. I want to know how I have changed their lives."

And apparently she is changing lives. "This book has been an incredibly humbling experience. There is a faster, more profound response to this book than any of the others. Marriages that were in the toilet have gone to being like newlyweds. I get 50 faxes a day from people who say the book has changed their lives. It has changed marriages overnight. Amazing!"

And because she is criticizing women for the way they treat their husbands, she says, men are buying the book in droves.

When she started in radio in her 20s, she was attracted by the woman's movement. "But I've been on the air for 29 years and now I say I'm a recovering feminist. Feminists are women who are angry, starting with fairness and employment. Every human being should have that, but the movement was co-opted by women who didn't love either men or femininity. They rant about all this patriarchal nonsense. Women don't realize how angry they are."

Even though she works full time outside the home, Dr. Laura is critical of other women who do. "One of the horrible things women have done is burn candles at both ends. It's a myth that two people in the marriage have to work. It's true that only one person working will produce a more moderate life style."

Will there be a sequel to this book -- "The Proper Care and Feeding of Wives"? No way, says Dr. Laura. "What would I do in a sequel? There's nothing there. Men are breaking their backs doing the hard work and making the living. Women are more emotionally complicated, sensitive and difficult. Men are pretty simple for the most part. When men get affection and approval, they jump through hoops!"

Dr. Laura also believes that most women do not cultivate men sexually or appreciate them enough.

Asked if she isn't embracing a 19th century concept of women's domestic role -- subordination and submission -- she says, "If anyone was subordinated in the 19th century, it was men. Men do not put women on pedestals now. Women are subordinate now. The average guy doesn't imagine giving a woman a seat or putting his coat over the mud for her. Men think women don't need them. Women went from elevation to the outhouse!"

Dr. Laura advises women to treat men better so that they will once again become chivalrous. "I don't touch doors! I wait 'til a man opens it and then I say, 'Thank you!' "

A mother of one child who is 18 and now out of the home, Dr. Laura says, "The empty nest is fabulous. All that child care and homework and suddenly you're free again. My husband and I have had a blast since our son left. I like to read or watch movies in the evening. I'm not a workaholic. I spend time with my husband.

"I work. I'm very proud of what I create and do. It has not been horrible."

But when her son was young, she worked "around him," rising early to do her writing, getting him off to school, then returning home before he did. "He never even knew I was gone. I was not a super mom but I was a committed mom. I always said, 'The day my job gets in the way of my kids, my job is done."

Schlessinger has written "a companion volume" to her book, entitled, "Woman Power," which will reach bookshelves in August.

"You know," she adds, "I'm the only woman in the history of radio to win the Marconi Award -- it's like the Academy Award in movies -- and no women's magazine ever did a story on it. Why did they ignore me? Because of my traditional viewpoint. The left is not interested in diversity."

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I wonder why Dr. Laura doesn't get on the Dr. Phil Show. lol