Let's organize a Meetup (San Diego/Tijuana)

Arrange meetups and get togethers with other Happier Abroad members in your area, or coming to your area.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Falcon wrote:
And Winston, you might want to try using Google before posting more basic questions here, haha.
+1

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Jester wrote:I can do 6/27, not before.
Okay I can do 6/27 as long as I return 6/29. I need to fly out 6/30 to somewhere else.

So I propose a new date 6/27.

If anyone cannot do 6/27 please object.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Falcon wrote:Sorry that I am not in Southern California, since I will be in Indonesia by the time you guys meet up there. I know San Diego and Tijuana like the back of my hand and have friends in Tijuana who would be more than happy to show you the "real" parts of town that no tourists visit.

I'm also very fluent in Spanish. Hopefully there's one member who's fluent enough to make the trip more authentic!

It's easy to get across the border, and the Mexican soldiers will usually not check your ID. Getting back into the US is longer, since the queues are usually about 30 minutes on average.

Volaris flights from Tijuana to the rest of Mexico are quite affordable nowadays, so if any one of you wants to explore Mexico more, definitely go for it. Tijuana doesn't feel much like the rest of central and southern Mexico either. :D Book here: http://volaris.com/

And Winston, you might want to try using Google before posting more basic questions here, haha.
Volaris is usually cheaper but the caveat is that I had to fly out of TJ to get to Mexico City. It was easier and only $20 more to fly out of LAX. I took the Flyaway bus from Van Nuys Airport.

Try United if you are coming from elsewhere in the US, that is who I used to go to MX City.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Jester, I can't make this gathering because I'll be in Europe, but you've gotten me interested in Ensenada real estate. What are the odds you'll still be there around this time next year?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:
Jester, I can't make this gathering because I'll be in Europe, but you've gotten me interested in Ensenada real estate. What are the odds you'll still be there around this time next year?
Moving into a beach house this week, and I plan to stay.

See you when you can get here.

BTW I was talking with a blond-loving Lebanese-Armenian buddy this past week about the two of us bringing back girls from Syria or Ukraine, to live in Ensenada. I guess a Bosnian girl would work too!

;)

PS
Bring some slivovitz if you can!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

drealm wrote:
Jester wrote:I can do 6/27, not before.
Okay I can do 6/27 as long as I return 6/29. I need to fly out 6/30 to somewhere else.

So I propose a new date 6/27.

If anyone cannot do 6/27 please object.
OK so we have

Friday 6/27
Saturday 6/28
Sunday 6/29

Who's in? Let's reconfirm, and get FSchmidt to decide if it's a go, so people can make reservations.

Jester
drealm

and?...

who else?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Jester wrote:Who's in? Let's reconfirm, and get FSchmidt to decide if it's a go, so people can make reservations.
I said we stick to any date that no one objects to for 48 hours. So this date will stick if no one objects by tomorrow afternoon.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Jester wrote:Who's in? Let's reconfirm, and get FSchmidt to decide if it's a go, so people can make reservations.
6/27 we have: Jester, drealm, fschmidt

The previous posters in this thread are:

- djfourmoney
- Winston
- TravelingFirefighter
- hornyabc

If you want to attend but this date does not work for you, you should let us know. fschmidt and I will be buying plane tickets early to get good price.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I am in the Philippines from late June to early September, for what its worth. If anyone wants to have a little Manila meetup I'd be more then open to the idea.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

MarcosZeitola wrote:I am in the Philippines from late June to early September, for what its worth. If anyone wants to have a little Manila meetup I'd be more then open to the idea.
I most definitely do not want to meet up. Thanks!

:lol:
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Repatriate wrote:
MarcosZeitola wrote:I am in the Philippines from late June to early September, for what its worth. If anyone wants to have a little Manila meetup I'd be more then open to the idea.
I most definitely do not want to meet up. Thanks!

:lol:
No problemo! I probably won't have much time anyway as I would spend pretty much all of my time there with the wife and her family. May I ask why you do not want to meet up, btw? Just out of curiosity.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

drealm wrote:6/27 we have: Jester, drealm, fschmidt

- djfourmoney
- Winston
- TravelingFirefighter
- hornyabc

If you want to attend but this date does not work for you, you should let us know. fschmidt and I will be buying plane tickets early to get good price.
I will extend the opportunity to object to this date for another 24 hours since none of the 4 posters listed above even responded to the 6/27 date. Please tell us if you can make it or not.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

gsjackson wrote:Jester, I can't make this gathering because I'll be in Europe, but you've gotten me interested in Ensenada real estate. What are the odds you'll still be there around this time next year?
If we can set it up, maybe you can attend via Skype?
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

fschmidt wrote:
drealm wrote:6/27 we have: Jester, drealm, fschmidt

- djfourmoney
- Winston
- TravelingFirefighter
- hornyabc

I will extend the opportunity to object to this date for another 24 hours since none of the 4 posters listed above even responded to the 6/27 date. Please tell us if you can make it or not.
My Calendar is open, 6/27 is fine. 6/20 is fine. It's other people with jobs and other stuff that have to constantly adjust their schedules.
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Post by hornyabc »

drealm wrote:
6/27 we have: Jester, drealm, fschmidt

- djfourmoney
- Winston
- TravelingFirefighter
- hornyabc

I'm available the weekend of 6/27.
I may have a friend or two who might want to come along as well, but it depends on how much the trip will cost.

For you experienced TJers, what do you think the ballpark cost would be for the weekend? The main costs I see would be for hotel, transportation to and around TJ, food, parking at the border. Am I missing anything else?