Would you rather have gold or cash?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Light
Freshman Poster

Would you rather have gold or cash?

Post by Light »

This seems one of the better places on the internet to ask this question. In general I would say most people on this forum have above average or high intelligence.

At this moment in time would you rather have 15 ounces of gold or the equivalent of $30,000 cash in any national currency of your choice?

Do you think it is wise for a person to save the majority of their wealth in gold?

National currencies seem to have the most risk for the future because of national debt levels and the risk for hyperinflation. A reserve currency isn't the reserve currency forever and debt fueled economic expansions also cannot go on forever.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Would you rather have gold or cash?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

If your base currency is experiencing hyper-inflation, than a portion of your savings in gold is the rule. The dollar and euro are not even near that point yet, so cash is far better and more convenient at the moment.

I would say an Argentine would have been smart to hold his savings in gold over the last 15 years.

But most of your wealth should be generating more wealth. Gold does not do that. It just preserves the buying power of your savings.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Would you rather have gold or cash?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

If your base currency is experiencing hyper-inflation, than a portion of your savings in gold is the rule. The dollar and euro are not even near that point yet, so cash is far better and more convenient at the moment.

I would say an Argentine would have been smart to hold his savings in gold over the last 15 years.

But most of your wealth should be generating more wealth. Gold does not do that. It just preserves the buying power of your savings.