Reducing Expenses is More Important Than Increasing Income?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Reducing Expenses is More Important Than Increasing Income?

Post by gravity25x »

Hello all. Wanted to give my take on the best way for the average person to live Happier Abroad.

In a perfect world, we would all have $500,000 in our bank accounts and we would live out the rest of our lives on a beach in Vietnam or southern Ukraine, surrounded by little hotties and cold drinks. Unfortunately that isn't reality, so I wanted to tell you guys what has worked for me, and hopefully you will also tell me what has worked for you (not what you think will work, but what has worked.)

I tried and tried to make my own business work.
1. Usually I researched the business idea, and in the current economic climate it just wouldn't work. So I dropped it before I even started.
2. If I found out that is WAS viable. It would ussually end up losing me money instead of gaining it.
3. Finally, and most rarely, I WOULD make a profit, but it was less than minimum wage in terms of hours worked and effort put in. That and usually some jealous a-hole would sabotage it, (like the jerk competitor that kept deleting my ads on craigslist for my phone repair business....jealous little b1tch)

I'm actually now of the belief that the world goes through seasons economically, just like the earth literally goes through seasons. This is because I tried so hard and still could not succeed. And yet, my father tells me stories of when he first arrived in Sweden, and he EASILY started a business, without too much research, effort, and VERY little start up money. Everyone I've spoken to that lived in 1960-80s Sweden tells me it was UP, UP, UP economically; like a promised land of sorts. They couldn't find enough people to work all the jobs they needed, wages were through the roof for workers, and profits were through the roof for businesses regardless.

Spring: A time when you can plant (start a business), because demand is plentiful and widespread.
Summer: The hot sun (of competition) has risen on the business world (the ground), but if your business is already started and underway and has established clients, you can get through this slightly tougher time, because you're already established (planted) and hidden from the heat of the sun underground.
Fall: A time for reaping the benefits of your hard work, before the winter comes and destroys it. (The winter being the poverty of others, and you wasting all the money you saved up from your properity, to keep a no-longer-viable business going, when you should really just be keeping the money and living off of it during the winter)
Winter: A time when realistically you can't start a business. You can't plant anything in winter, it will die. But large established businesses can still thrive; especially since there is no competition from "the little guy".

I think what separates these seasons is war. A war is the reset button. Once things get really bad, the politicians will make a boogeyman (ala Russia/Putin in 2016) start a war with this "villain" (since the people aren't going to tolerate the corrupt politicians anymore), and whoever wins gets to be the next land of prosperity/opportunity.

Before anyone says it: I am NOT saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to start a business right now, I am saying it is likely a waste of your time and you should wait until times turn around. You can't plant wheat in the winter and expect it to thrive. Don't believe the American stupidity that "if you just work hard, you'll succeed", that's absolute BS.

Anyway, that is my theory. Now on to how I am DEALING with it.
I have bought an apartment in Tbilisi, Georgia. It's paid off. There are no property taxes, or condo fees, or anything else to pay. I pay about $12/mo for electric, $10/mo for gas, $8/mo for internet and a minimul amount for everything else (less than $5). I paid about $10,000 USD for this apartment. It's in a nice area.

This apartment serves more or less a singular purpose. It gives me a place where I can go whenever I decide I don't want to work anymore. I spend about $200/mo total to live here. One of the biggest problems with the west is their high cost of living. Unless you're very wealthy, you feel like you can't stop working because you're spending thousands of dollars every month. Also, if you can't get a job, you can feel like your life is over and you're about to be homeless. Whereas for me, all I do is take a $100 flight to Tbilisi and wait it out. With the money I have now, I could live here for years without working or doing anything else. I'd live simply and frugally, but that's alright with me.

I'm also prospecting. I'm hoping that apartment prices will skyrocket after Russia gains world(ish) hegemony (that's what I think will happen in the next 20 years or so) I own another one but it is not totally finished.

See the photos of the finished one:

Since I believe we're in Winter, I'm just saving whatever I can get my hands on. I'm no longer attempting to start a business.

Anyway, like I said in the beginning of the post: tell me what has worked FOR YOU.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Re: Reducing Expenses is More Important Than Increasing Inco

Post by Kradmelder »

The problem with that approach is that it only works when you are young and single. When you get a wife and family high cash flow is the order of the day. You try and save and the heifer will start looking for greener pastures.

I used to live very cheap when i was young, savings lots then bought a house. But things like living in a digs and driving old wrecks don't work well with women. It is a temporary measure to save money to buy assets. It is better to buy assets before settling with some heifer and putting them in a pre-nup so she cant grab them. You buy a house after meeting her, consider it as good as lost if you don't kiss her arse from then on.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

Kradmelder wrote:The problem with that approach is that it only works when you are young and single. When you get a wife and family high cash flow is the order of the day. You try and save and the heifer will start looking for greener pastures.

I used to live very cheap when i was young, savings lots then bought a house. But things like living in a digs and driving old wrecks don't work well with women. It is a temporary measure to save money to buy assets. It is better to buy assets before settling with some heifer and putting them in a pre-nup so she cant grab them. You buy a house after meeting her, consider it as good as lost if you don't kiss her arse from then on.

Yes, now that I think about it, you're correct. I'm a young guy... so far I have basically been looking to solve my own problems. I haven't so much been thinking about a LTR/marriage. Recently I got bored actually. I more or less accomplished what a lot of Americans slave their whole lives to get: a paid off place to live in a safe/nice area. Once I accomplished that and I was sitting in my finished apartment I was like: "....So what now??" I think there is a book called "death by utopia" or something like that... Anyway, I certainly don't regret getting apartments in Georgia. It's one of the few countries where you can stay for 360 days without a visa of any kind, I blend in in terms of skin color/hair color, everything is cheap, and there is not a lot of corruption since sakaashvili was president.

I plan to live in whatever country I decide to get a girlfriend from next...my last one (from Belarus) was a bit too...independent for me..Totally inflexible...she was *Belarusian* and refused to open her mind to living abroad, I wouldn't mind living just about anywhere I could reasonably assimilate into the culture and become part of society, but Belarus just felt like too much. I certainly could never get a job there...meh...But this apartment gives me a place to go back to. Breaking up can be quite an ordeal, depending on how it happens, so its good to have a place you can go to let the dust settle, collect your thoughts, and plan your next move in peace and calm.

But you're definitely right, I do need to find some f'n way to get cash flow. Thankfully I'm Swedish and the economy is doing quite well, but I'd really rather not work a 9-5 job....I'm a true millenial I guess... oh well..maybe I will have to get over it? Maybe not!

House are very cheap in Sweden in the countryside (You can buy one for 10-30K USD) one hour from a major Swedish city. Most Swedes refuse to commute that long (That's why they are so cheap). For an american that's nothing honestly...My dad did it every day for 23 years... So that problem is solved.
Cars are also decently priced...

My main issue is I don't want to live (with my gf/wife) where I could realistically get a job (Sweden). I REALLY hate the feminazi culture and plain bad, liberal, atmosphere they have in that country; and I don't want my wife to become like a Swedish girl, which she may if I bring her there...First world problems...

I'll be flying to Sweden in a few days to see family , who knows what the future holds?

By the way, Merry Christmas!
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

What country is this $200 apartment? I agree with you that you should keep your expenses at low as possible. I think you should always keep your expenses as low as possible in your home country.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

WorldTraveler wrote:What country is this $200 apartment? I agree with you that you should keep your expenses at low as possible. I think you should always keep your expenses as low as possible in your home country.
Hello, it's a $10,000 apartment. Which is cheap in its own right. You can get cheaper (which I stupidly, did not know when I came here). You can get a pretty big apartment for $5,000-$7,000 in Georgia (the country). I said my living expenses were $200 a month, including food.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

gravity25x wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:What country is this $200 apartment? I agree with you that you should keep your expenses at low as possible. I think you should always keep your expenses as low as possible in your home country.
Hello, it's a $10,000 apartment. Which is cheap in its own right. You can get cheaper (which I stupidly, did not know when I came here). You can get a pretty big apartment for $5,000-$7,000 in Georgia (the country). I said my living expenses were $200 a month, including food.

My son was there this year

He went to to a European young innovators conference as part of SA delegation and brought home a silver medal. he is only 15 and a big over 6 ft blonde kid so must have stood out like a darkie on a glacier in scandinavia :lol: he said turks are everywhere.

He said it is far better than the sandkaffir country they had to fly through (dohai??), and he enjoyed it. A teacher was with them so they couldn't get out and around but he said the prices were reasonable compared to the sandkaffir usury in doha which they must have picked up from jews :lol: Of course being white dad had to pay as the SA government only pays for nonwhite kids, while claiming whites are racist :lol:. On the plus side he said he had to share a room and the other kid was also white, so at least they segregated the kids. I guess the government doesn't want the scandal of a white kid beating the carp out of a darkie for stealing his stuff or shitting on the floor instead of the toilet :lol: The white kids earn their place by international standards. the black kids go on quota. Another example of black non-racism.

When he got back because of his medals he had dinner with the provincial premier and Minister of education. They must have been furious a white kid was the only medal winner :lol: Some big fat darkie maid that probably never finished high school. Well the president only has grade 8 and shows it every time he opens his mouth. Good my son stuck it in the eye of the darkies. he is learning to show them how a civlised man behaves; not like those savages.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

That sounds cheap. What's Georgia like? Are there decent restaurants? Are there nice sidewalks, parks, and public facilities? With the cheap cost of living, I'm guess salaries there are dirt cheap. Am I right?

Jakarta is not super cheap to live in anymore. Neither is China. In Jakarta, you can eat for a dollar or a dollar and a half from a street vendor. In Indonesia, if you go out in the villages or small towns, you could probably live for a couple of hundred if you lived frugally, but probably not up to western standards.

The cost of living in the US is high, and it can cost thousands to live. If you have kids, though, it's not easy to just uproot them and go live in a cheap place if you are unemployed.

As far as starting businesses go, my wife and I did a bit of event food vending in the past. We didn't do it every day, so it was hard to really make a living at it. I've found it's better to go back to school, get some education for a job that pays well, and work for someone else. But when I build up my savings, I'd like to invest in some kind of business some day. It's best if you can manage something and get other people to work for you.

If salaries and start up capital are cheap in Georgia, maybe you could open some business that earns $500 a month and grow it. You start some business that costs 10x more in your own country, get someone else to do the dirty work, and manage it. Then hire a manager and just monitor it.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

MrMan wrote:That sounds cheap. What's Georgia like? Are there decent restaurants? Are there nice sidewalks, parks, and public facilities? With the cheap cost of living, I'm guess salaries there are dirt cheap. Am I right?

Jakarta is not super cheap to live in anymore. Neither is China. In Jakarta, you can eat for a dollar or a dollar and a half from a street vendor. In Indonesia, if you go out in the villages or small towns, you could probably live for a couple of hundred if you lived frugally, but probably not up to western standards.

The cost of living in the US is high, and it can cost thousands to live. If you have kids, though, it's not easy to just uproot them and go live in a cheap place if you are unemployed.

As far as starting businesses go, my wife and I did a bit of event food vending in the past. We didn't do it every day, so it was hard to really make a living at it. I've found it's better to go back to school, get some education for a job that pays well, and work for someone else. But when I build up my savings, I'd like to invest in some kind of business some day. It's best if you can manage something and get other people to work for you.

If salaries and start up capital are cheap in Georgia, maybe you could open some business that earns $500 a month and grow it. You start some business that costs 10x more in your own country, get someone else to do the dirty work, and manage it. Then hire a manager and just monitor it.
Definitely don't come here looking for work. Salaries are TERRIBLE (unless you work for your home government's embassy, which is unlikely). Business might work, but I tried a tour-business (bought my own van and employed a Georgian friend of mine), it failed. Everyone is poor here, so no one spends any money, and Georgia is not exactly the #1 tourist destination. Just a week ago I sold the van. Will be flying back to Sweden to be with my family for...who knows how long?? We'll see..

Yes, cost of living is rising all around the world. The elites are doing a good job impoverishing people unfortunately. I can only see it getting worse, which is why I did what I did with these apartments.

I wouldn't say there are really many nice sidewalks or parks. They do exist. But you can't just walk outside and expect to find one when you round the corner. I'd recommend hiking boots if you plan on walking on what pass for streets around here :P Also Georgian drivers don't stop for pedestrians (cross at your own risk LOL). They are also horrible drivers, with no sense of safety. The people are great. You can find REAL friends here, not like in America where you can know someone for 5 years and they won't loan you 500 bucks when you need it...It's very interesting to me how "Friendship" has different definitions and meanings around the world. The girls are very feminine and traditional. Just a few years ago, it was not socially Ok to have a girlfriend here; you had to court. They are becoming more liberalised.

Public facilities are non-existant if you mean things like public bathrooms/(safe) playgrounds and the like. Squat toilets are the most common outside decent restaurants and people's homes. But the government works very well, better than in America in my opinion. This is all because of Sakaashvili, which some consider a fascist, which maybe he is, but he did a lot of good for georgia. You go to the "public house" to do everything from paying your taxes, to registering property, to starting a corporation. Everything is done under one roof. It is VERY efficient. Even better than Sweden.

Almost no one speaks English except people under 9 years old (when Sakaashvili instituted REAL english education in their schools). I've spoken to 2 little kids in English, it was very funny using a little kid as a temporary translator in a grocery store, since no one else could speak good english.

I own 2 (micro-studio) condos, like I said. I am seriously considering coming here to buy property again. This time I'll do 2-3 bedroom apartments though: Georgians get married pretty quickly and have kids. Not sure what I will do in Sweden. But property is very cheap here at the moment...I don't believe it will stay that way forever..so I need to take advantage of that.

Georgians are quite lazy (as a whole), and are NOT business-minded at all (which is good for us in some ways, less competition): Logic seems to be something that escapes them when you are doing business with them. It's very odd and hard to explain. They seem to follow their own train of thought more than the present moment and its facts.

Definitely, that is how you get rich: Have other people work FOR YOU.

I'm still unsure about Georgia's future. They may spiral back into economic decline and corruption (since Sakaashvili is not president anymore), or they may continue on the course they are on, towards development and integration with Europe. I wouldn't recommend moving here at the moment because of that uncertainty(especially with a family). No one speaks English. Because of that it's hard to meet people and make friends, you'd be pretty lonely. Definitely learn basic Russian before you come (if you do), or you will not even be able to speak to ANYONE.

But for a guy with a wife and family, I'd recommend a place like Malta. English speaking, more developed, sunny/tropical, but still more traditional (socially) than Sweden or the US (as far as I have understood...I don't know, I haven't been there yet). I'm planning on going vacation there with my family this summer/spring. I'll be reporting back how it is to you guys. I'm actually very excited about it. Since I left the USA I've missed speaking English, I've missed 'fitting in' (I always feel out of place in a foreign country), and I've missed the sun/heat (I lived in Corpus Christi, Texas). I think Malta is about as close as I am going to get to that experience in Europe... Malta is not nearly as cheap as Georgia, but it's certainly cheaper than any metro area in the US.

For georgia it gets even weirder: outside of Tbilisi (where all the prices i mentioned are accurate), you can buy apartments for just plain weird prices: $2000-4000 USD. They are usually old, soviet style apartments, but they are apartments nonetheless.. Just realize outside of Tbilisi and Batumi it's normal for the power to be cut on a daily/weekly basis...
Last edited by gravity25x on December 25th, 2016, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

Kradmelder wrote:
gravity25x wrote:
He went to to a European young innovators conference as part of SA delegation and brought home a silver medal. he is only 15 and a big over 6 ft blonde kid so must have stood out like a darkie on a glacier in scandinavia :lol: he said turks are everywhere.

He said it is far better than the sandkaffir country they had to fly through (dohai??), and he enjoyed it. A teacher was with them so they couldn't get out and around but he said the prices were reasonable compared to the sandkaffir usury in doha which they must have picked up from jews :lol: Of course being white dad had to pay as the SA government only pays for nonwhite kids, while claiming whites are racist :lol:. On the plus side he said he had to share a room and the other kid was also white, so at least they segregated the kids. I guess the government doesn't want the scandal of a white kid beating the carp out of a darkie for stealing his stuff or shitting on the floor instead of the toilet :lol: The white kids earn their place by international standards. the black kids go on quota. Another example of black non-racism.

When he got back because of his medals he had dinner with the provincial premier and Minister of education. They must have been furious a white kid was the only medal winner :lol: Some big fat darkie maid that probably never finished high school. Well the president only has grade 8 and shows it every time he opens his mouth. Good my son stuck it in the eye of the darkies. he is learning to show them how a civlised man behaves; not like those savages.
Black people can't be racist. They're above reproach and their actions shouldn't be questioned or criticized. Didn't someone tell you? :P
PS: I'm not racist,, just trolling the stupid liberal, PC line that it's "racist" to admit that blacks as a whole are violent and not particularly bright.. :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xaV-u7-pTA&t
There are exceptions to every rule though.. Ala Ben carson...
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

gravity25x wrote:
Kradmelder wrote:
gravity25x wrote:

Black people can't be racist. They're above reproach and their actions shouldn't be questioned or criticized. Didn't someone tell you? :P
PS: I'm not racist,, just trolling the stupid liberal, PC line that it's "racist" to admit that blacks as a whole are violent and not particularly bright.. :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xaV-u7-pTA&t
They keep trying to tell me blacks can't be racist but anything liberals say comes in one ear and out the other.

Being a polite person, when they tell me I am racist I just reply thank you. I am proud of my acheivements :mrgreen:
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

Kradmelder wrote:
gravity25x wrote:
Kradmelder wrote:
gravity25x wrote:

They keep trying to tell me blacks can't be racist but anything liberals say comes in one ear and out the other.

Being a polite person, when they tell me I am racist I just reply thank you. I am proud of my acheivements :mrgreen:
Well I thought I'd share one of the exceptions to the rule: Tommy sotomayor is pretty awesome, sometimes I listen to his commentary on US politics/issues. Here he's talking about blacks in America. Real talk. I'm assuming this would be considered "hate speech" in SA? I know it would be in Sweden..thankfully the US has the first amendment (free speech)
https://youtu.be/96zsZM8x7rA?t=443
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

gravity25x wrote:
MrMan wrote:
Yes, cost of living is rising all around the world. The elites are doing a good job impoverishing people unfortunately. I can only see it getting worse, which is why I did what I did with these apartments.
This is why your statement is flawed. It might be viable for you live like this currently but what about in 5-10 years time? There's only so much that can be reduced in terms of expenses whereas income can be limitless.

Managing your cash flow frugally is one thing but letting the grass grow is another. If you're in this kind of position financially you should always be on the lookout to find ways of making a regular income.

Buying the apartment was a good move so long as you know the property laws over there. I've heard of foreigners in places like Spain losing everything due to land disputes and so forth.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

Post by gravity25x »

Zambales wrote:
gravity25x wrote:
MrMan wrote:
This is why your statement is flawed. It might be viable for you live like this currently but what about in 5-10 years time? There's only so much that can be reduced in terms of expenses whereas income can be limitless.

Managing your cash flow frugally is one thing but letting the grass grow is another. If you're in this kind of position financially you should always be on the lookout to find ways of making a regular income.

Buying the apartment was a good move so long as you know the property laws over there. I've heard of foreigners in places like Spain losing everything due to land disputes and so forth.
Hello, yes Kradmelder already said this. (in a slightly different way) I realized that and am now adjusting my future plans. Of course I think like a single guy. Because that's what I am :P. But you're right, cost of living will go up, and I will have to find some way to get some income. At the moment I could rent out my second condo for about $130 a month in after-tax income, which isn't bad considering the whole place costed $10,000. But I'll need more property to really live there independently. There is also something to be said about not putting all your eggs in one basket... I am considering getting a job in Sweden. Lets me save up about $20,000 a year with an average salary job (26k Krona a month). I'm a citizen, and single, so I can get the cost of living down very low. With this money, theoretically, I could buy a new apartment in Tbilisi every year(ish)...$20k for a large apartment is pretty normal...Supposedly I can get $350-400/mo for this (furnished and all). Will have to think about it more..I think I can even get bank loans here as a non-resident...which is cool. Interest rates aren't good, but if I pay them off quickly...we'll see...

The main reason I focused so much on that (reducing expenses) is because when I lived in the US, no matter how much income I got it just seemed to fly away. (I was making 2x as much as I needed to spend on the "essential",= $1,500 went to expenses, but I had $3,300 a month in income every month), but somehow it just seemed like I never saved anything. Don't get me wrong, I lived well, but America seems to swallow up your money somehow, it's weird...I didn't want to run on the hamster wheel anymore.

By the way: I think the elites are moving us toward a universal income (they recently voted against adopting that in Switzerland). That would give them almost total control over a population with no real skills (survival, carpentry, electrical, farming, etc). Ingenious really..
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

gravity25x wrote:
So is this apartment in Georgia?

Why live in Georgia over Ukraine? A friend told me the girls were prudish in Georgia. I never believed that. I think he was just a beta and getting used my "his" girl.

What are your skills to make money?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I got a job offer in Sweden for 40, 000 SEK GROSS last week but its actually less than what I would make in India. How is 40k in Stockholm for a single guy?

The taxes, VAT and Cost of living looks ridiculous in Sweden. I will be a mere slave, can't eat outside often, night life, taking girl out looks all expensive. The money I would get IN HAND is laughable after so many cuts. All I can do would be watch porn all day in Sweden with the amount of money I can save.

Don't be fooled by what they show on TV about India. They only show about the worst part of India. Yes there is poverty but not everyone is starving in India just like how they show America to be like Hollywood but the reality is quite different.

I have looked salary scale in US, Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan and I cannot believe seriously, if you have right skills...You will make more money in India, Philippines than any of the so called "Developed" country. I can work in India but as is the case with Winston with Taiwan...I do not like to work in India as that's my last option :D

I have worked in startups and 99% of startups FAIL. 90% of business Fail. We are given breadcrumbs to fight on...While the Jews control everything, they fund their own kind with billions of dollars of startup fund. They have unlimited money and even then most of its business are still UNICORN.

Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, UBER etc are all Unicorns...Not making any profit.

The airplane manufacturers, the vehicle manufacturers, the computer industry is all controlled by the elites...we have no chance to enter the REAL BUSINESS and make billions. The billionaires are all Jews by design. Don't buy into fake garage success story. Its just a pitch, like how Jews always play the Victim card to get more sympathy.

Your father like mine got success in the 60s, 70s because the elite LET it be that way...They wanted to built the economy for future generations to be tortured...The coming generation will have lot more problems than even we are having now.

If I didn't know better, i would already be in Sweden taking the job offer, I'm reluctant as Europe is the most hyped up place on earth and good for brainwashed sheep who love Money more than anything else from third world countries who migrate but now a days even money is not that much due to high cost of living.

-----------------------

I would suggest you put your money in Asia. If you have 10,000 USD..You should buy multiple franchises in Philippines. It has more chance of success than Europe. Philippines is the fastest growing economy in Asia overtaking even China.

The Philippines government will spend 250 billion dollars from next year for infrastructure alone. I'm saving money, If I can ever to do business only in Philippines. That's the place with high degree of sucesss. The government will even reduce TAXes next year..Isn't that Amazing news :D

I'm tempted to take job in Sweden because of chance of dating women there but I'm not sure if its worth it....and who would date an Indian slave worker...from dating sites I gather that, in order to date white women for me..I need more money to SHOW than a white guy would need to date an Indian women...