College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: College Degrees in the U.S. are Worthless

Post by HouseMD »

Oh, and lastly, as to knowing hunger and suffering- I don't wish such things on people. I help them get to where they need to be, by educating them, tutoring them, hell, sometimes even saving their damn life. The whole point of things is to help people get better at life, not to tear them down. I point out the errors in the ways of others so that they might correct them and live a more fruitful, engaging life. I've coached several people through the process of becoming a professional (many of whom are now medical students), and do everything I can to aid others in achieving their goals. I do not, however have any patience for those that are not willing to work hard for what they want. I'll lead a horse to water, but I'm not going to fight to force their head into that water and make them drink.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Okay.

You can be a snob about drunks and lazy guys if you want. I don't condone it, but okay. We differ. I think they should have lives and families.

But... as long as you are helping people make it... (and you have always been forthright here)... then you are on the side of the angels.

Okay.

I kick some indolent won't-get-off-the-couch ass too.
Out of love, though they may not feel that.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Now you know why there are very few rich people who make it to heaven. Look at the things you have to be willing to commit against your fellow human beings in order to become vastly wealthy. The love of money is the root of all evil. It will cause women to commit adultery to get a child support check. It will cause extortion, deception, lies. That's what happens when you love money.

The school I went to increased their tuition costs 50% in one year, but what can you do when they make admissions into schools so difficult? You study so hard to get into school, and you think at first the price is reasonable. When the time comes, they increase the tuition by 50%.

Now here is the real deal. The US government forces colleges to raise their tuition each and every year. Also, within the last decade or so, they changed the rules so that student loans can no longer be discharged via bankruptcy. They will garnish wages and even social security benefits. So even when a person retires, if they have no paid off that student loan debt in full, they were garnish their social security check. If you thought the income tax made people into slaves, the indebtedness from student loans has not just made many people slaves, but it has completely ruined thousands of lives. That is homes that can't be bought, lives that can't get started, jobs that can't be taken, and even children which will not be born because people are being financially bankrupted by the government and the system which they were raised to accept.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

One girl who really terrorized me went to a college whose name rhymes with the Latin for Century. Interestingly enough, she has over $100,000 of debt for attending that school for just four years. So yes, that centurion school, which means 100, put her $100,000 in debt. I can't imagine how she will ever climb out of her debt, because the interest alone would be enough to bury the average person. How could she have enough to pay extra? And thank God she flaked on me, because that might have become my problem too. God knew better. I wasn't allowed to have her, and by the time she came back around, she had burned the bridge so thoroughly that there was no way I'd go near her. ;)
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Great video by Peter Schiff where he goes to New Orleans and interviews taxi drivers, bar tenders, tarot card readers and cashiers and asks them if they went to college, what they majored in and how much in student loans they have. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

jamesbond wrote:Great video by Peter Schiff where he goes to New Orleans and interviews taxi drivers, bar tenders, tarot card readers and cashiers and asks them if they went to college, what they majored in and how much in student loans they have. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg[/youtube]
What's interesting is that a number of the people he interviews majored in serious subjects. The younger generation is really in trouble, but nobody wants to acknowledge that...
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Yes, for what college degrees cost today they are worthless if you don't get them in the right fields.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Ghost wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:Yes, for what college degrees cost today they are worthless if you don't get them in the right fields.
Or even if you get them in the "right" fields. I've known plenty of underemployed people who majored in math, engineering, or one of the sciences.
Excellent point. I don't know why so many people insist on fantasizing that it is only people with less practical degrees who have trouble obtaining full employment. The economic situation for young Western men is bleaker than is commonly let on. It really is brutal.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

gnosis wrote:
Ghost wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:Yes, for what college degrees cost today they are worthless if you don't get them in the right fields.
Or even if you get them in the "right" fields. I've known plenty of underemployed people who majored in math, engineering, or one of the sciences.
Excellent point. I don't know why so many people insist on fantasizing that it is only people with less practical degrees who have trouble obtaining full employment. The economic situation for young Western men is bleaker than is commonly let on. It really is brutal.
Engineering orathematics and you're fine as long as you're willing to relocate. Science is a bit tougher.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Now you know why our rulers want to depopulate the planet. Lets look at the bright side, there is plenty of Soylent Green to be had in the future.....
Time to Hide!
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Moretorque wrote:Now you know why our rulers want to depopulate the planet. Lets look at the bright side, there is plenty of Soylent Green to be had in the future.....
They don't need to depopulate anything. Affluence lowers birth rates and makes population a self-correcting problem. Look at Japan and Europe.
Last edited by HouseMD on May 15th, 2016, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

HouseMD wrote:
Moretorque wrote:Now you know why our rulers want to depopulate the planet. Lets look at the bright side, there is plenty of Soylent Green to be had in the future.....
They don't need to desolate anything. Affluence lowers birth rates and makes population a self-correcting problem. Look at Japan and Europe.
+1
Even SouthAamerica has a projected decline soon. I bet even Africa will follow suit.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

According to the Georgia Guide Stones they may want to help it along to get the numbers into the hundreds of millions they desire, at the rate you are talking about the mass extinction will have run it's course quite completely.....

Either way you look at it I am predicting a major die off soon, either by mans hand or mother natures for sure.....
Last edited by Moretorque on May 15th, 2016, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time to Hide!
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Moretorque wrote:According to the Georgia Guide Stones they may want to help it along to get the numbers into the hundreds of millions they desire, at the rate you are talking about the mass extinction will have run it's course quite completely.....
Yeah, because if there was a plan for mass extermination they eould advertise it with giant stones. Those were the work of a lone lunatic and nothing more.