How hiring really works

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

How hiring really works

Post by Cornfed »

This is an example of the criteria for hiring people in the USSA, in this case to be screws. If the place ever was a meritocracy, which is unlikely, there is no sign of it now.
http://eatonrapidsjoe.blogspot.co.nz/20 ... alpha.html
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 10th, 2020, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: How hiring really works

Post by OutWest »

Ghost wrote:Doing well these days to get a minimum wage shit job stocking shelves as a white male. The thing is, one or two bad policies we could survive. We can't survive an onslaught of bad policies PLUS the fact that nothing we have is counted as a positive. Perhaps in the "good times" things still worked out because there were enough jobs leftover for the rest of us regular guys. Now we have everyone scrounging for an ever decreasing pool of increasingly shitty jobs, and most of the jobs are going to women, blacks, and other protected groups. The white males aren't allowed to have anything that helps them get the job. Everything is counted as a negative. There's no way to survive that.
This thread ignores the fact that most jobs are to be found with small business. These are not bound up with all these preferences and other BS . in a small business capacity I have hired perhaps 80 people over the years and I am beginning to do so again. I pay little attention to resumes until I have a face to face. If I like you based on that exchange, I then look for any gross contradictions in the resume. Weak resumes can hide a strong employee.
I hire for attitude. . you can talk your way into...or out of a job, based on your quality of engagement.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I get very annoyed at how the older generation (50s & on, usually) just thinks someone should "get a job." Not only is that seemingly the only important thing in life to them, but that they think it's like just plucking a grape off a vine & popping it into your mouth. So many figure "You're smart, you could go to college/get a job/etc...", but they don't listen when you tell them that, even though they associate these things with being smart or capable or whatever, that this is not necessarily what is valued in a workplace setting- even though it would make sense for it to be that way.

Maybe too high an impression of America? Reputation to the rescue?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Wolfeye wrote:I get very annoyed at how the older generation (50s & on, usually) just thinks someone should "get a job." Not only is that seemingly the only important thing in life to them, but that they think it's like just plucking a grape off a vine & popping it into your mouth. So many figure "You're smart, you could go to college/get a job/etc...", but they don't listen when you tell them that, even though they associate these things with being smart or capable or whatever, that this is not necessarily what is valued in a workplace setting- even though it would make sense for it to be that way.

Work sucks...personally I hate it. I would advise it only as a last resort, or much more so if someone thinks I should work to support them. Work prospects in the corporate world are likely especially difficult... As per the OP.

If you have to find a job, especially as a white male, i think small businesses have less time for politically correct nonsense, and they are more likely to value your genuine skills.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Ghost wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Ghost wrote:Doing well these days to get a minimum wage shit job stocking shelves as a white male. The thing is, one or two bad policies we could survive. We can't survive an onslaught of bad policies PLUS the fact that nothing we have is counted as a positive. Perhaps in the "good times" things still worked out because there were enough jobs leftover for the rest of us regular guys. Now we have everyone scrounging for an ever decreasing pool of increasingly shitty jobs, and most of the jobs are going to women, blacks, and other protected groups. The white males aren't allowed to have anything that helps them get the job. Everything is counted as a negative. There's no way to survive that.
This thread ignores the fact that most jobs are to be found with small business. These are not bound up with all these preferences and other BS . in a small business capacity I have hired perhaps 80 people over the years and I am beginning to do so again. I pay little attention to resumes until I have a face to face. If I like you based on that exchange, I then look for any gross contradictions in the resume. Weak resumes can hide a strong employee.
I hire for attitude. . you can talk your way into...or out of a job, based on your quality of engagement.
Do small businesses not have to obey the forces of PC/AA and other liberal trash? What's the threshold for that? My hometown is less than a dot on the map, the biggest employer (as far as I know) is the Wal-mart, and I never found any small businesses like that, although there were some little, old stores that were family owned and operated I think, but with far fewer than 80 employees. Places you couldn't work unless you were a member of that family. The main time I saw any "help needed" signs was around the holiday season. For me, it came down to having to move either to a new state in the U.S. (very unlikely) or moving abroad (which for me was easier than moving domestically.) This is why I say for the younger men, expatriation can be a matter of life or death.

It sounds like you face a double whammy- small town...failing zone and not much small business.
Even I a bigger city...most businesses are small...less than 100 people. I know maybe a dozen small business owners in Portland Oregon, and I do not know any that give a rats ass about preferences and quotas...they do not even have such a thing....they want to know if you can make money for the business....if you are productive and reliable.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

OutWest wrote:This thread ignores the fact that most jobs are to be found with small business.
I would be surprised if small businesses, at least for entry level jobs, were still the majority employers, unless you count owner-operators as being employees. The economy is now like the former Soviet Union, with supposedly private corporations co-ordinated by the banksters taking the place of government departments. Among the problems for men getting a job with small businesses are that often they only hire family members, hire mostly females (due to traditional male jobs being outsourced or automated, most customers being female, owner wants a harem etc. as well as AA), are following corporate rules due to needing corporate patronage, have no money for training so you need to be trained in the corporate jobs you can't get in the first place etc. For high-grade men educated in disciplines such as science, small business is a non-starter anyway.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 10th, 2020, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Ghost: Isn't that an odd thing? That it's potentially easier to move to another country & pick up there than it is to move within one that spans at least 3,000 miles & get going there? In the same country that people are always referncing as a "land of opportunity" refusing to believe is low in opportunity because the immigrants move here to get paid- completely forgetting that they are pretty much the hiring standard at the moment.

Also, I notice no one really is all that confident that they'd get another job that would make ends meet in timely fashion if they quit or got fired (or the company went bankrupt, outsourced all the labor somewhere else or to machines, the place burned down & they couldn't afford to rebuild, etc...). Maybe that's why they keep saying the same things? Because it matches what situations they'd prefer? I never got how someone thought there was going to be some kind of congruency just because they said something or acted in a certain way that matches what they'd prefer.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 10th, 2020, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Cornfed wrote:
OutWest wrote:This thread ignores the fact that most jobs are to be found with small business.
I would be surprised if small businesses, at least for entry level jobs, were still the majority employers, unless you count owner-operators as being employees. The economy is now like the former Soviet Union, with supposedly private corporations co-ordinated by the banksters taking the place of government departments. Among the problems for men getting a job with small businesses are that often they only hire family members, hire mostly females (due to traditional male jobs being outsourced or automated, most customers being female, owner wants a harem etc. as well as AA), are following corporate rules due to needing corporate patronage, have no money for training so you need to be trained in the corporate jobs you can't get in the first place etc. For high-grade men educated in disciplines such as science, small business is a non-starter anyway.
Small business and business startups are on a major major decline, as you stated the only thing growing is the fascist Soviet style corp controlled by the creditors.
Time to Hide!
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Wolfeye wrote:I get very annoyed at how the older generation (50s & on, usually) just thinks someone should "get a job." Not only is that seemingly the only important thing in life to them, but that they think it's like just plucking a grape off a vine & popping it into your mouth. So many figure "You're smart, you could go to college/get a job/etc...", but they don't listen when you tell them that, even though they associate these things with being smart or capable or whatever, that this is not necessarily what is valued in a workplace setting- even though it would make sense for it to be that way.

You know what else? Many of those men over age 50 had similar problems with underemployment during recessions. They seem to have forgotten that.

There's no sense in talking to many of those over age 50 anyways. It used to be these people had wisdom and were worthy of respect. Now you can just thinking of them as the adolescent jerks who helped sell this country.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 10th, 2020, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Yeah, I notice that. Maybe they just have an issue with reforming the esteem they hold things in? I notice THAT as an issue that seems very pervasive in this country. With foreigners, they seem to be able to greasp when something changes from being a particular way to NOT being that particular way. You can also tell them a story about somethign bad that happened & they can actually say "That's f***ed-up!" That's it. No denial games, no making arguments that amount to the idea that what happens is not what occurs, no covering for the one that caused it. I swear, it's like they have no ability to "call a spade a spade."